Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 05:53 PM

561 posts, read 505,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
Your conservative buddies aren't going to like that.
This conservative buddy loves it! Eliminate the loopholes! Impose a flat tax so every corporation - and every individual - pays their fair share. Quit the free ride!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 05:57 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Heres the response,

If we raise taxes on the corporations, or close their loop holes, they will simply pass those costs on to the customer.

There are two things that aren't straight with this answer.

1. No guarantee they'll pass it on to the customer. Some corporations don't want to hurt their sales numbers, so they'll keep things at the price, or slightly raise it.

2. With the same overseas competition they are seeing, they can't raise prices to match that cost, unless you have a stranglehold on the industry, like gasoline.

Its easy fruit to go after low income assistance. I'm not low income, I live in a good neighborhood, and taking away from low income folks doesn't hit me. They are worried that if we raise corporate taxes that it will effect them, because they might have to pay an extra 2% on the extra food they buy, and their television costs.

But as I said, companies probably wouldn't pass the cost on to the consumer. Like I said, there is to much competition out there.

Of course corporations pass on the costs of doing business onto customers, or they won't be in business long.

If the cost of doing business in a given country is too high, they will go somewhere else.

FT.com / Companies / Industrial Goods - 3M chief warns Obama over business regulation
[LEFT]
"He added: “Politicians forget that business has choice. We’re not indentured servants and we will do business where it’s good and friendly. If it’s hostile, incrementally, things will slip away. We’ve got a real choice between manufacturing in Canada and Mexico – which tend to be pro-business – or America.”" [/LEFT]

Who said anything about low income assitance? Nice strawman!

Old 02-28-2011, 06:19 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
LOL. read the whole link my friend then get back to us.
Your link has nothing to do with the OP. The OP said many corporations don't pay taxes. Your link said to paraphrase. Correct many corporations don't pay taxes but its not illegal for them not pay taxes. So what's your point? The OP is correct, that many corporations do not pay taxes at all, while people like yourself complain when some guy making $9 doesn't pay his 2k a year to taxes. It really puts these types of complaints into perspective.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:21 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,490 times
Quote:
Who pays the taxes? Assuming that this is true (which, I don't) do you think these big bad corporations wouldn't pass along those costs to consumers? Ready, fire, aim!
But then people will just stop buying their products, right? Isn't that what you righties are always talking about? Let the markets run themselves?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
But then people will just stop buying their products, right? Isn't that what you righties are always talking about? Let the markets run themselves?

OK, stop buying oil............

Old 02-28-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Of course corporations pass on the costs of doing business onto customers, or they won't be in business long.

The company will set its prices at what the maximum the customer will pay for its product. If I go to the grocery store, I will not pay more for a can of soda because I learn Pepsi's taxes went up, and I'm sure most feel the same way. So you are wrong about that.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
"He added: “Politicians forget that business has choice. We’re not indentured servants and we will do business where it’s good and friendly. If it’s hostile, incrementally, things will slip away. We’ve got a real choice between manufacturing in Canada and Mexico – which tend to be pro-business – or America.”" [/LEFT]

Who said anything about low income assitance? Nice strawman!
This is fair enough, as long as our government puts in place laws that ensures if companies choose this action that they are forced to sell their products in mexico and other third world countries and not the US.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Your link has nothing to do with the OP. The OP said many corporations don't pay taxes. Your link said to paraphrase. Correct many corporations don't pay taxes but its not illegal for them not pay taxes. So what's your point? The OP is correct, that many corporations do not pay taxes at all, while people like yourself complain when some guy making $9 doesn't pay his 2k a year to taxes. It really puts these types of complaints into perspective.

Why do people refuse to read links?

From the link.

"In fact, the Tax Foundation discovered that of the 25% of large corporations that paid no tax in 2005, 85% of those did not pay tax because they had no profits."

Old 02-28-2011, 06:31 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? Didn't I just explain to you that increasing taxes on corporations is really increasing taxes on ourselves?
They make their product too expensive, we don't buy it. That is how capitalism works, right?

I would rather the corporations pay their fair share rather than facing budget crises that target the hard working middle class.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
This is fair enough, as long as our government puts in place laws that ensures if companies choose this action that they are forced to sell their products in mexico and other third world countries and not the US.

LOL, so you want to shut out all imports from companies that don't have a presence in the US? Well that makes alot of sense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies