Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:37 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,861,601 times

Advertisements

WI Governor (King) Scott Walker pronounced the Capitol, a public building, off limits to protesters. In effect Walker was trying to silence the 1st amendment rights of the citizens of WI. However, a judge ruled otherwise!

Quote:
The move to limit access was slammed by protesters, Democratic lawmakers and civil liberties advocates.
In a letter Monday, the American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin urged DOA Secretary Michael Huebsch to open the statehouse to the public. "Prohibiting protestors on either side of the debate from entering the Capitol during normal business hours or during legislative hearings or sessions, while allowing others with 'business' in the Capitol to enter, is manifestly content-based and, hence presumptively unconstitutional," read the letter.
Judge orders Capitol building reopened
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 10:48 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,212,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
WI Governor (King) Scott Walker pronounced the Capitol, a public building, off limits to protesters. In effect Walker was trying to silence the 1st amendment rights of the citizens of WI. However, a judge ruled otherwise!

Judge orders Capitol building reopened
the article said that as Assembly Official (Sgt at Arms) imposed the restrictions. I saw nothing about the Governor imposing the restrictions. However, I am sure if a mob started over-running the judges chambers, he would do exactly what the people in charge of the Wisconsin Capitol did, and properly so.

You seem to be in favor of mob-rule, or am I reading you wrong. Also, being in a particular building is NOT a 1st Amendment Right. You should review it, as it preserves the right of speech, press and religion. Infesting public buildings at will is not included, directly, indirectly, or by fanciful mal-interpretation.

Consider your post slapped-... corrected.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
the article said that as Assembly Official (Sgt at Arms) imposed the restrictions. I saw nothing about the Governor imposing the restrictions. However, I am sure if a mob started over-running the judges chambers, he would do exactly what the people in charge of the Wisconsin Capitol did, and properly so.

You seem to be in favor of mob-rule, or am I reading you wrong. Also, being in a particular building is NOT a 1st Amendment Right. You should review it, as it preserves the right of speech, press and religion. Infesting public buildings at will is not included, directly, indirectly, or by fanciful mal-interpretation.

I am in favor of public opinion and the right to practice free speech to express these opinions.

FYI,the capitol is the peoples' building, not the governor's.

Quote:
Next Walker and his legislative allies engineered a scheme to close the Capitol, which has traditionally been one of the most open and accessible in the nation, to citizens who want to protest against the bill. While a handful of protesters remained inside the building, hundreds of union members and their allies sought access to the Capitol but were denied.
"I am disappointed in Governor Walker's decision to block the public's access to their state Capitol," said state Rep. Mark Pocan, a Madison Democrat. "I want to assure my constituents that I will not allow Governor Walker to limit your access to my office."
This is NOT what democracy looks like

Old 03-01-2011, 11:03 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,679,492 times
Folks, what we are witnessing here in Wisconsin is all out political war.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:11 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,142,676 times
Quote:

You seem to be in favor of mob-rule, or am I reading you wrong.

You're either reading wrong, or want to make a straw man argument here.

Quote:
Also, being in a particular building is NOT a 1st Amendment Right. You should review it, as it preserves the right of speech, press and religion. Infesting public buildings at will is not included, directly, indirectly, or by fanciful mal-interpretation.

A swing and a miss.

The First Amendment covers more than simply speech. Any behavior can be expression, and expression is protected - particularly political expression, which can include peaceably demonstrating in a public building.

Moreoever, you left out the part about the right of people to peaceably assemble.

it's an easy argument to make that moving protester's away from the center of the action is an infringement on their rights to speech and assembly. There are reasons you could exclude people, or course, but I've heard none o them voiced here.

Slap yourself.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:16 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,212,523 times
Quote:
I am in favor of public opinion and the right to practice free speech to express these opinions.

FYI,the capitol is the peoples' building, not the governor's.

This is NOT what democracy looks like
Actually, this is what true Democracy, or what the founders called "mob rule" and were very much against, warned us about, looks like. That is why we have a Representative Republic.

The concept of a public building being the "people's building" is quaint and has, at an ethereal level, great meaning, but it doesn't mean that it can be infested at-will by any manner of horde, interferring, most deliberatly, in the conduct of the people's business.

That fact that this difference is not apparent in your post is disturbing. Hopefully, not very many Americans are in favor of this sort of mob-rule.

Would you be in favor of a mob of "right wingers" doing the same thing to the White House? Or the Senate Chambers?

Old 03-01-2011, 11:17 AM

^^^^^^

Strel, Thank you for your factual post!

I believe that we are at risk for losing our constitutional rights if we do not understand what they are!

Old 03-01-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Actually, this is what true Democracy, or what the founders called "mob rule" and were very much against, warned us about, looks like. That is why we have a Representative Republic.

The concept of a public building being the "people's building" is quaint and has, at an ethereal level, great meaning, but it doesn't mean that it can be infested at-will by any manner of horde, interferring, most deliberatly, in the conduct of the people's business.

That fact that this difference is not apparent in your post is disturbing. Hopefully, not very many Americans are in favor of this sort of mob-rule.

Would you be in favor of a mob of "right wingers" doing the same thing to the White House? Or the Senate Chambers?
Within the bounds of the law? Why not?

I think you need to take off your partisan goggles once in a while.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
^^^^^^

Strel, Thank you for your factual post!

I believe that we are at risk for losing our constitutional rights if we do not understand what they are!
Or letting the creepy authoritarians redefine them for us.

But they typically lose in court where they have to answer questions from people who really DO know what the law is.

And then, of course, they emit the piercing, high-pitched whine of the defeated:

"Activist juuuuuuuuudge!"

Old 03-01-2011, 11:20 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,625,040 times
The vagrants ought to be arrested for trespassing. If you're in there after-hours you are breaking the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies