Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 07:49 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,396,872 times

Advertisements

That is just sad.

I don't know why they let that continue inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 07:58 AM

376 posts, read 296,297 times
Based on the monotony of the first 5 minutes of the video, I'm against whatever these idiots are for.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:02 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,265,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
We do, it is the constitution and bill of rights, unfortunately it has been eroded over the years. Plus people have been convinced that we are a democracy.
The Constitution can be amended and those "rights" can be removed. For example, in the future, the right to elect our Senators directly or even freedom of speech can be taken away by amendments. Sure, it's a difficult, complicated process. But it is not impossible.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:29 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,477,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
The Constitution can be amended and those "rights" can be removed. For example, in the future, the right to elect our Senators directly or even freedom of speech can be taken away by amendments. Sure, it's a difficult, complicated process. But it is not impossible.
It is impossible considering it has to pass ALL of the checks and balances and even if it did, the politicians would be held for not carrying out their oath of office that states they protect the Constitution. Amendments are to bring the document forward, not backward.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:31 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,864,256 times
Quote:
Unfortunately this is what a democracy looks like as it is collapsing on itself.
Why do you think America would be better off as a country where citizens simply digest whatever the government tells them to? Trust me, that would be the wet dream come true for politicians and those who sponsor their ticket.

And one of the first things most dictators, throughout history, have done is to take away people's right to protest, then change the constitution to their whim, and rule. No?

Quote:
And is that one of your wishes? If so, may it be granted with you at the receiving end.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:38 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,220,554 times
According to the wise sages of CD:

a hundred people at a tea party rally = democracy in action!

hundreds of thousands of people at a labor rally = a hissy fit.

Huh

I'm a moderate, but I actually thought it was great that Americans cared enough to get involved when the tea party was doing its rallies during the last election, and I disagree with just about everything that it turns out they stand for (except for budget cutting, but I don't agree with the way they want to do it).

I think it's even better when you can get hundreds of thousands of people to show up, day after day, on an issue they care about. Our government is only as good as we make it, and apathy kills us most of the time. Citizens getting involved is ALWAYS a good thing...even if you disagree.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:42 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,477,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post

Huh

I'm a moderate, but I actually thought it was great that Americans cared enough to get involved when the tea party was doing its rallies during the last election, and I disagree with just about everything that it turns out they stand for (except for budget cutting, but I don't agree with the way they want to do it).

I think it's even better when you can get hundreds of thousands of people to show up, day after day, on an issue they care about. Our government is only as good as we make it, and apathy kills us most of the time. Citizens getting involved is ALWAYS a good thing...even if you disagree.
But these are NOT your average citizens. These are people who actually don't care at all about the average citizen. They are willing to raise their taxes and make them pay for their selfishness. The only reason they gave in to the cuts is because they were scared of losing some of their power. If that wasn't the case, these rallies would be about not giving back ANYTHING!

Old 03-04-2011, 09:24 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,231,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen antrim View Post
I want a more detailed list of rights, not this general crap that each sway of majority ideological power seems to have a desire to interpret; interpret toward their own lust for power and control, while the sheep wait in hope...... I would like a long detailed list so I could carry it with me and not need a lawyer or politician to carry it for me.
Basically you have right to not have force, fraud or coercion used against you by the majority through government or by an individual or entity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
They should have been chanting this is what freedom looks like and they would have been right. They were exercising there rights for a peaceful assembly and freedom of speech. And democracy does not guarantee either of those rights. I would hope our good friends on the left are embarrassed by these buffoons I know I am.
That is the key, it is freedom, not democracy. People look at democracy as a collective Santa, if they get enough people to ask for it they get it. I understand their fears, it is a scary time but grasping for everything is not the answer.

It is sad that those entrusted with teaching our children believe we are a democracy, that is sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
They act and sound like they are at a pep rally in high school or a high school football game.
Exactly! That is politics on both sides. Hence my signature (that I can't add here) I have been using.

"Most people treat politics like pep rallies and defend their team like it was high school football, when in reality the politicians are the equivalent of pro wrestlers."

Quote:
Actually electing our senators was changed. They used to be elected by the state assembly in order to protect the states, now they are just glorified representatives.

We would still have the court decide if the amendment is even constitutional. At least the individual has some checks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Why do you think America would be better off as a country where citizens simply digest whatever the government tells them to? Trust me, that would be the wet dream come true for politicians and those who sponsor their ticket.

And one of the first things most dictators, throughout history, have done is to take away people's right to protest, then change the constitution to their whim, and rule. No?

And is that one of your wishes? If so, may it be granted with you at the receiving end.
I am not against protest, I have done my fair share. I am pointing out that democracy leads to people fighting over a limited resource and the fight is now do we take from one group or take from the other. Protests should be about protecting rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post

Huh

It is easier for them to protest, they can't lose their jobs to leave and protest, in many ways they get benefits. My father-in-law receives pension credits for manning the phone banks at election time. The average person who pays these protesters, does not have the luxury of taking off work to protest.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
But these are NOT your average citizens. These are people who actually don't care at all about the average citizen. They are willing to raise their taxes and make them pay for their selfishness. The only reason they gave in to the cuts is because they were scared of losing some of their power. If that wasn't the case, these rallies would be about not giving back ANYTHING!
For starters, show me one link that shows where raising taxes in Wisconsin is on the table. In fact, the Governor there just gave a $140 million dollar tax break to business.

As far as being average citizens, just who do you think is out there? They've had hundreds of thousands at a time for nearly three weeks now, and the vast majority of polling shows that the general public (both nationally and in Wisconsin) is solidly behind them on protecting collective bargaining rights. Are they "not average citizens" if they don't agree with YOU?

Old 03-04-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
It is easier for them to protest, they can't lose their jobs to leave and protest, in many ways they get benefits. My father-in-law receives pension credits for manning the phone banks at election time. The average person who pays these protesters, does not have the luxury of taking off work to protest.
On a SATURDAY? 70,000 two weeks ago, and closer to 100,000 last week?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies