Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 03:43 PM

499 posts, read 405,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You are aware the government steals more of your paycheck in Britian than our gov here in the states, which means they have less freedom of choice than we do here.
Thanks for making my point.
I don't understand what you mean here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 03:44 PM

499 posts, read 405,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Actually Britain itself is about to enter a protracted period of class warfare as the Conservatives have recently taken over administration of the Gross Domestic Product and are bringing on the austerity like House Republicans are gearing up to do. The student revolts are but one obvious example of how well that is going down with the middle class. The only difference between GB and the USA: when the elite come for the GB middle class they take to the streets and fight it out. In this country we hand it over to them and beat anyone who objects about the head, neck and shoulders. Even if that 'beating' is only figurative it still smacks of sell out to me. Make them fight for it.

H
Don't forget the working classes. They're pissed off as well.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:42 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,950,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm

the top 50% of all earners pay 97% of all the personal federal income tax colected by the IRS

the bottom 50% of earners, pays 3%

how much more do you want?????
uhm... if paying 50% on only the first 250K = 97% of the personal federal income tax then I for one am not impressed by that 97% figure. Are you? Really? You shouldn't be. Look past the smoke and mirrors. Way I see it, the wealthy are good for more... a lot more...

H

Old 03-07-2011, 11:53 AM

32,835 posts, read 19,528,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
uhm... if paying 50% on only the first 250K = 97% of the personal federal income tax then I for one am not impressed by that 97% figure. Are you? Really? You shouldn't be. Look past the smoke and mirrors. Way I see it, the wealthy are good for more... a lot more...

H
reading comprehension lately

the top 50% of ALL EARNERS pays 97% of ALL PERSONAL INCOME TAX COLLECTED by the IRS

personal income tax makes up about 45%(I believe the exact number is 44.6%) of ALL REVENUE to the government

Quote:
Way I see it, the wealthy are good for more... a lot more...
btw there is a difference between wealth and income

fascist liberals will never get it

Old 03-07-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollymixture View Post
Don't forget the working classes. They're pissed off as well.
You are correct, however, in America our class distinctions are much broader. The American middle class is pretty working class by British standards. I applied the U.S. definition of middle class to the British. Mea culpa. Interesting thing though... my SO is British and blind from birth... very working class roots. She made good though and so did her brother... rest of the family is rather hard up but most read the Daily Mail and go on about 'scroungers' even though there are plenty of 'scroungers' right in the family who are going to get hit hard by the new austerity measures coming in. My SO has advanced degrees in computer science and is all but dissertation in an International Policy Degree but if she were to go back to the U.K. they would assess her and find her "fit to work". No one would hire her of course because of her disability... so she would have to report to "work sites" established by the government and perform "make work" to be eligible for benefits. Make work like weaving baskets with developmentally disabled individuals... a near doctor... I'm sure that seems fair to some of the rabid conservatives here but it doesn't seem fair or sane to me. The other scroungers in her family will also be found fit to work and they will have to be taken in by other family who will then have to support them... also fair, of course, but you have to understand, these scroungers were never allowed to get jobs or learn life/work skills. They have never worked, ever. There weren't any jobs in Britain in the 80's. They come by their idleness very honestly... Britain and America stand apart from the rest of Europe and the civilized world in the intensity of disdain for the Welfare State and the right to Collective Bargaining by a large number of the very individuals who benefit most from those institutions.

H

Old 03-07-2011, 12:11 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,859,471 times
I think the top 10% should be paying 100% of the income tax in this country. They own it so they can pay for operating it.

This has been a exercise in 59 posts of pure Right Wing drivel. You guys wouldn't know a good deal if you saw one. The hyper wealthy (10 million per yr +) ARE RIPPING YOU GUYS OFF EVEN MORE THAN THE REST OF US!! That is the way they maintain their exclusiveness.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:48 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,470,091 times
Oh Please, i do know someone living there right now as i type. Do you feel that Middle Calss Brits have it easy, well if they do, that is not what i am told, and their Country is not without fault where the middle class is concern.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
reading comprehension lately

the top 50% of ALL EARNERS pays 97% of ALL PERSONAL INCOME TAX COLLECTED by the IRS

personal income tax makes up about 45%(I believe the exact number is 44.6%) of ALL REVENUE to the government
I heard you the first time, no need to shout. My answer remains the same: I am not impressed. More please. Lot's more.

Quote:
btw there is a difference between wealth and income

fascist liberals will never get it
Not enough of a difference to make a difference

H

Old 03-07-2011, 12:59 PM

565 posts, read 486,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
They don'y know any better, so they must be right.
That defines you perfectly, why don't you just keep it for yourself.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:11 PM

334 posts, read 188,790 times
Up to now I've been reading this forum from time to time, because I find the court of public opinion interesting. I created an ID today because I must say, that after reading this thread, it is apparent to me that most people simply have no idea why we're in the trouble that we're in, or how to get out of it.

It's a simple answer really. One word, in fact.

Globalization

This is where US corporations travel the world, taking advantage of other countries. They seek out those countries with loose employment laws, and a low cost of living. They then ship American jobs to these countries, and tell Americans how we have to be "more competitive in the global economy".

It's nonsense.

You can't compete with a country that still allows child labor. You can't compete with a country whose idea of health insurance is keeping a spare jar of leeches in the mud hut. You can't compete with countries who can eat for a week on what you HAVE TO spend for lunch. .....and you can't compete with countries that are allowed to produce substandard goods and services.

If one wishes to fix the US economy, it's quite simple really. We need to enact legislation that makes it less profitable to outsource.

1. Impose a tax on corporations that employ over a certain percentage of foreign workers, on their total income.

2. Impose a tariff on imported goods AND services. If you hire an Indian customer service rep, you should be taxed 40% of their salary.

3. Give tax breaks to US corporations for providing US jobs, but ONLY if the salaries of those jobs are over a certain level. The level should vary by region, in accordance with cost of living. Giving tax breaks for minimum wage jobs is ridiculous. Let's start with $30k per year jobs in MS, and end up in Los Angeles giving tax breaks for $70k plus jobs.

4. Institute a flat tax, no deductions. Start taxing the rich who hoard cash. If you hoard money for longer than a certain period of time, you pay a 1 or 2% tax on it. I'd say 5 years is reasonable. In other words, if you've had in excess of 3 million dollars in your possession for longer than 5 years, you should be taxed on the excess, every 5 years. 2% is a small price to pay.

5. Institute an inheritance and gift tax of 8% on amounts over 5 million. When this money changes hands, it is effectively income for the recipient. While I don't expect it to be taxed that way, SOMETHING would be reasonable.

I have a few other ideas that I'll keep to myself, but the bottom line is the greatest trick the super-rich ever pulled off was making low-income conservatives think they're on the same team. (low income meaning below $300k per year) These bastards hoard millions, pay next to no taxes on their hoardings, and then gamble their holdings in business to make more money. If they lose, they get to write off their losses. However they do not have to pay tax on the principle that they're hoarding. Something is wrong with that.

These people are not like us. It's not "class warfare". It's the simple fact that they are not paying their fair share, and because their circumstances are vastly different, they need to be paying taxes differently.

Incidentally? These super-rich folks are the ones selling out your jobs, taking away your ability to make money. Remember that.

Lastly, some might say that my ideas about corporations may cause corporations to leave our shores. I say good, let them leave. Let them try operating in China under the threat of being taken over by the state at any time. The corporate tax code was written with the assumption that US corps would be providing JOBS. They're no longer doing that. As their business practices have changed, so must the tax structure. Because if they're not creating US jobs, then all they're doing is skating along using the freedoms and protections that our system of government provides. That's why they STAY HERE, but EMPLOY THERE. THAT is what we need to stop. If you want to base your operations in the US, there should be a price. Either employ our people, or lower their tax base with tariffs and penalties. It makes no difference to me, but something has to change.

Last edited by HomeWurkin; 03-07-2011 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies