Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 10:38 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,699 times

Advertisements

Truth is that most adults don't want to work for 10-12 bucks an hour. And that is probably about all a job program is going to qualify them for. It's easier for them to live out of the envelope and off the tax payers back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 10:51 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I think those collecting say food stamps or whatever should be required to either get their ged or a trade program. So hopefully one day they wont need them anymore.

So yes I would be willing to fund a program that does. But no loopholes, required to attend classes. If in a certain amount of time if they have not completed the program the welfare ends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Why would they continue to fund a program without providing positive results?
YOur own little survey seems to prove the point.

I'm actually curious as to what kind of skills your program teaching them that would enable them to be employable for anything other than low paying dead end jobs. Especially in todays economy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
If we are paying out welfare to people who are unemployed or underemployed, I not only think educating them in work skills is a good idea, I think it should be mandatory. Without such programs and the associated funding for them, along with an attendance requirement, these people would never, ever attend any sort of educational training program.

Although I'm somewhat surprised that your school doesn't track success (is it possible that's incorrect information?), I'm also somewhat unsurprised, since neither do public high schools or public universities. Yet we would never say it's unimportant to educate children in this country.

So yes, if people are getting welfare checks (as opposed to unemployment compensation, which is an insurance pool that has been paid into by employers for that purpose), they should be required to learn skills that will make them more capable of finding gainful employment.

OHHHKAAAYYY, I'm one of the long term unemployed after a lifetime of working (40 years) my whole industry disapeared. I did my research, found there are jobs in phlebotomy (and still are) I took the course (paid for by me) and got nationally certified...still no job (age discrimination and unemployed discrimination).

One of the biggest issues I have about re-training is none of these programs are actually tied in to jobs at the end of the course and that makes them worthless in this economy. So unless there is a way for these programs to work with the private sector corps. so if a student passes with X GPA or whatever requirement there is they will hire them at the end of the program otherwise they are a waste of money.

Everyone from my phlebotomy course has yet to get a job and we finished last April.

What many don't understand is the majority of the long term unemployed are 50 or above and have been unemployed for 2 years or more and they/we face real discrimination.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:18 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post

OHHHKAAAYYY, I'm one of the long term unemployed after a lifetime of working (40 years) my whole industry disapeared. I did my research, found there are jobs in phlebotomy (and still are) I took the course (paid for by me) and got nationally certified...still no job (age discrimination and unemployed discrimination).

One of the biggest issues I have about re-training is none of these programs are actually tied in to jobs at the end of the course and that makes them worthless in this economy. So unless there is a way for these programs to work with the private sector corps. so if a student passes with X GPA or whatever requirement there is they will hire them at the end of the program otherwise they are a waste of money.

Everyone from my phlebotomy course has yet to get a job and we finished last April.

What many don't understand is the majority of the long term unemployed are 50 or above and have been unemployed for 2 years or more and they/we face real discrimination.
I not only understand, but as a 49 year old, I feel you, too. Good luck with your job search!

Old 03-07-2011, 11:22 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Congratulations for completing your course. That is tough. The economy makes it even more so.
I find it so interesting that these schools recruit like crazy and make potential students think once they have this degree or skill all their job related problems will vanish.
Even in nursing today there are all these private schools that graduate students in droves who then flood the market only to find out that graduate nurses are not in demand. Only experienced RNs need apply.

I can only say be cautious on what you invest your time, efforts, and hard earned dollars on.

But the job discrimination is a different topic. I can't believe if someone is qualifed and hard working that they are doing this. Don't they know that older workers are far more responsible, less likely to call in sick, be late to work etc.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:25 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The expert View Post
I teach in a number of welfare to work education classes for a large adult education program in a large community. What an experience! These are programs where the long term unemployed and people on welfare are taught a trade and work skills. Most of the people in my classes have gone historically from one dead end low paid job to the next intermixed with long periods of unemployment. They have few technical job skills or knowledge of how to be an effective employee.

The school that I work at in this evening part time job does not keep records if the students are able to land and keep a job after graduation. In curiosity, I sent an email to all 215 students who had gone through my classes in the last few years asking how they had done since graduating from the program and only got 3 replies.

In an era of budget cuts the program I work for is struggling to keep funding. What do you think of welfare to work programs?
I support reform for both Wefare and Education programs, cut the waste and make what we have more efficient. Training is fine but one has to feed those in need while they are learning to fish for themselves, in the log run we all win.
When I was in Germany I recall a program where people working in job fields that were being phased out could be retraned by the government while drawing their unemployment, the only condition was that the person had to work in that field for at least 2 years.
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies