Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2011, 01:53 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times

Advertisements

Gang Activity in the U.S. Military

According to a recently released FBI report, Gang-related activity in the US military is increasing and poses a threat to law enforcement officials and national security. The report, Gang Activity in the U.S. Armed Forces Increasing, dated January 12, states that members of nearly every major street gang have been identified on both domestic and international military installations.

Why Do Gang Members Join the Military? The FBI believes that gang members may enlist in the military to escape their current environment or gang lifestyle. Some gang members may also enlist to receive weapons, combat, and convoy support training; to obtain access to weapons and explosives; or as an alternative to incarceration. Upon discharge, they may employ their military training against law enforcement officials and rival gang members. Such military training could ultimately result in more organized, sophisticated, and deadly gangs, as well as an increase in deadly assaults on law enforcement officers

Having seen gang graffiti in Iraq, yeah, I can say this is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 06:29 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Of course it's true. There have been gang problems on Ft Bragg for years. This is nothing new.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:33 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Gang Activity in the U.S. Military

According to a recently released FBI report, Gang-related activity in the US military is increasing and poses a threat to law enforcement officials and national security. The report, Gang Activity in the U.S. Armed Forces Increasing, dated January 12, states that members of nearly every major street gang have been identified on both domestic and international military installations.

Why Do Gang Members Join the Military? The FBI believes that gang members may enlist in the military to escape their current environment or gang lifestyle. Some gang members may also enlist to receive weapons, combat, and convoy support training; to obtain access to weapons and explosives; or as an alternative to incarceration. Upon discharge, they may employ their military training against law enforcement officials and rival gang members. Such military training could ultimately result in more organized, sophisticated, and deadly gangs, as well as an increase in deadly assaults on law enforcement officers

Having seen gang graffiti in Iraq, yeah, I can say this is true.

When your given a choice of a long hard jail incarceration, or join the military, it is not hard to see where all the criminals are going.

When my dad retired in 1976 from the Air Force, he said it was a bunch of crooks that were enlisted, for that very reason.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:34 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
Gangs have been infiltrating the military for 20+ years now. The Crips, Latin Kings, KKK, American Nazi Party, Aryan Brotherhood, Church of Jesus Christ-Christians and many others have been prevalent in the Army, Marines Navy and Coast Guard for many years.

And yes, they do it for the training, but also for the access.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:38 AM

The courts offering military service over jail time ended back in the 70's. There are actual regulations that specifically prevent such occurrences now a days. However, many change names, SS#'s, etc., to get away from going to jail.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:59 AM

470 posts, read 1,036,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
When your given a choice of a long hard jail incarceration, or join the military, it is not hard to see where all the criminals are going.

When my dad retired in 1976 from the Air Force, he said it was a bunch of crooks that were enlisted, for that very reason.
As another poster mentioned they don't offer people going to the military as an alternative to jail anymore. The military is very hard to get into these days. Over 75% of Americans are unfit for military service whether it be obesity, health issues, criminal background, and a multitude of other issues.

My understanding from a recent AT Level II course is that the vast majority of gang members join the military to be able to take their training back to their fellow gang members when they get out. I can assure you though that they aren't being sent to the military by the court system.

The violent effects of people like this taking their training back to their local streets has already been seen in Modesto, CA with Lance Corporal Andres Raya. He was high on cocaine and was able to ambush and overwhelm several police officers on his own.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:16 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

Yeah, cuz the military is all about recruiting known criminals now.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:34 AM

military standards for induction have dropped significantly over the last 8 years. I would say 70% of those who were declared unfit for induction prior to 2006 would be easily inducted now.

Several of the gang members who have made into the military have extensive combat training in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:44 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokanejobseeker View Post
Over 75% of Americans are unfit for military service whether it be obesity, health issues, criminal background, and a multitude of other issues.
Wow, I was coming into challenge that statistic but you are right.

A Pentagon study says "75 percent of all those aged 17 to 24 cannot serve because they're physically unfit, have criminal records - or never graduated from high school at all."

Many US youths unqualified as military recruits

Another study shows 23 percent fail the enlistment test of basic math, science and reading skills.

About 1 in 4 are rejected due to obesity. (Not 75% as Mike Huckabee has claimed)

A Big, Fat Mistake | FactCheck.org

Old 03-09-2011, 07:53 AM

470 posts, read 1,036,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Wow, I was coming into challenge that statistic but you are right.

A Pentagon study says "75 percent of all those aged 17 to 24 cannot serve because they're physically unfit, have criminal records - or never graduated from high school at all."

Many US youths unqualified as military recruits

Another study shows 23 percent fail the enlistment test of basic math, science and reading skills.

About 1 in 4 are rejected due to obesity. (Not 75% as Mike Huckabee has claimed)

A Big, Fat Mistake | FactCheck.org
That is fact. For the poster up above spewing "facts" from their fourth point of contact that the military has reduced standards and is now letting anyone in, read the above links.

Gang members serving in the military is nothing new. A lot of these guys don't have records, they haven't been arrested yet. If somebody attempting to enlist says, "Yeah I am covered in Mara Salvatrucha tatts, but I want to change my ways and serve my country", I don't think they're going to be denied a waiver.

There is no simple answer to this problem. Perhaps those marvelous minds out at Columbia University could help shed some lights on this problem . They seem to know so much about those who serve in the military and why they serve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies