Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 08:08 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What freedoms don't you have that I do?

How old are you????
I asked you first......I'm 53.......in a 28 year relationship and I just last year got that "special right" to adopt children from the state of Florida.

I want to get married to my mate with all 1,138 "special rights" that straight couples enjoy but I cannot....yet I pay equal taxes but don't have equal rights.

Rights and responsibilities of marriages in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Same-sex marriage in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now I ask again.....How old are you??????

Old 03-10-2011, 08:20 AM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I asked you first......I'm 53.......in a 28 year relationship and I just last year got that "special right" to adopt children from the state of Florida.

I want to get married to my mate with all 1,138 "special rights" that straight couples enjoy but I cannot....yet I pay equal taxes but don't have equal rights.

Rights and responsibilities of marriages in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Same-sex marriage in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now I ask again.....How old are you??????
Here I thought this was a thread on gay bullying?
So again I ask, what protections do I have in that regard, that you don't?

As to your off topic mention of gay marriage;I don't think the federal government should recognize marriage one way or the other.
I also don't care what you do in your home and more power to you if you adopt and give someone else a good home.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:49 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
Abbey-Roads: Violence against gays.

The National Center for Victims of Crime - Library/Document Viewer (http://www.ncvc.org/ncvc/main.aspx?dbName=DocumentViewer&DocumentID=32353 - broken link)

Religious Rhetoric and Violence Against Gays Increasing Worldwide - The Gay Manifesto

Old 03-10-2011, 09:15 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,991 times
Heres what I always struggled to understand: How do you separate the two? That is, how do you accept the notion that "gays" cant control who they are inside and cant control their thoughts, yet everyone else is supposed to be able to control their's; that is of course, if their thoughts are in disagreement with homosexuality. If gays are unable to change who they are, why should they expect anyone to change who they are and how they feel about gays?

It seems that, when people who arent gay proponents have thoughts that may negatively impact the gay agenda, then thats when gay propagandists decide not to accept the old "genetically predetermined, biological causes" notion as an explanation for the way others are and as the reason that they may not accept homosexuality; then suddenly those people's thoughts all stem from a culture of hatred. Behavior becomes the only thing that matters and biology and genetics become a nonsequitor. Perhaps the majority of people are biologically predisposed to be racist, sexist or to dislike homosexuality. That doesnt mean that we have to agree with them. But if they cant change they way they were born and who they are deep down inside which affects how they view homosexuality, then with the exception of accepting violent behavior against anyone, why expect them to change their conduct or thoughts on political issues?

Its just odd that when biological/genetic explanations become inconvenient and threatens the advancement of an agenda, then no one uses that explanation to advocate tolerance of a value system that may disagree with homosexuality.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:27 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Heres what I always struggled to understand: How do you separate the two? That is, how do you accept the notion that "gays" cant control who they are inside and cant control their thoughts, yet everyone else is supposed to be able to control their's; that is of course, if their thoughts are in disagreement with homosexuality. If gays are unable to change who they are, why should they expect anyone to change who they are and how they feel about gays?

It seems that, when people who arent gay proponents have thoughts that may negatively impact the gay agenda, then thats when gay propagandists decide not to accept the old "genetically predetermined, biological causes" notion as an explanation for the way others are and as the reason that they may not accept homosexuality; then suddenly those people's thoughts all stem from a culture of hatred. Behavior becomes the only thing that matters and biology and genetics become a nonsequitor. Perhaps the majority of people are biologically predisposed to be racist, sexist or to dislike homosexuality. That doesnt mean that we have to agree with them. But if they cant change they way they were born and who they are deep down inside which affects how they view homosexuality, then with the exception of accepting violent behavior against anyone, why expect them to change their conduct or thoughts on political issues?

Its just odd that when biological/genetic explanations become inconvenient and threatens the advancement of an agenda, then no one uses that explanation to advocate tolerance of a value system that may disagree with homosexuality.
Ctrl + H "gays" and "homosexuality" -> "people with glasses".

Quote:
Heres what I always struggled to understand: How do you separate the two? That is, how do you accept the notion that "people with glasses" cant control who they are inside and cant control their thoughts, yet everyone else is supposed to be able to control their's; that is of course, if their thoughts are in disagreement with people with glasses. If people with glasses are unable to change who they are, why should they expect anyone to change who they are and how they feel about people with glasses?

It seems that, when people who arent people with glasses proponents have thoughts that may negatively impact the people with glasses agenda, then thats when people with glasses propagandists decide not to accept the old "genetically predetermined, biological causes" notion as an explanation for the way others are and as the reason that they may not accept people with glasses; then suddenly those people's thoughts all stem from a culture of hatred. Behavior becomes the only thing that matters and biology and genetics become a nonsequitor. Perhaps the majority of people are biologically predisposed to be racist, sexist or to dislike people with glasses. That doesnt mean that we have to agree with them. But if they cant change they way they were born and who they are deep down inside which affects how they view people with glasses, then with the exception of accepting violent behavior against anyone, why expect them to change their conduct or thoughts on political issues?

Its just odd that when biological/genetic explanations become inconvenient and threatens the advancement of an agenda, then no one uses that explanation to advocate tolerance of a value system that may disagree with people with glasses
Except in both scenarios, my response is the same:

* You can be repulsed by something about someone without having to make that person feel like utter crap because they are different from what you like.

* Being gay or wearing glasses hurts nobody. Attacking somebody for being gay or wearing glasses, does.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:29 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
A person can't live in fear, we should be teaching that instead of making children crying wimps because someone picks on them. What will happen when they grow up and someone says something they don't like? run to the boss and cry? quit their job? kill themselves? Life ain't perfect.
How about we try to reverse that by teaching kids not to bully. And by not allowing adults to get away with bullying either.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Then provide a study that proves there is a genetic component that determines whether or not one is gay.
Really, what difference does it make if there is or isn't 'a genetic component' to being gay? Kids should be taught not to bully - for ANY reason.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:32 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,278,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Oh please. Gay people are religousphobic? Hahahaha
I laugh the same when people say I am afraid, phobic, hateful, etc. of gays simply because I don’t cheer for them. Sure, it is a nice way to pressure people to cheer for them and prevent from being labeled something or have fingers pointed at them. I have at least 2 gay friends, a lesbian, and a bi girl. I do not tremble when they are near me, I am not afraid, etc. Heck, a gay guy told me to my face that he thought I was cute. All this, and no hate from me.

Quote:
I've never once heard a gay person call for a law banning Christians from entering into a civil marriage contract
How about gays who even sue religious literature like the Christian bible simply because it talks about how homosexuality is a sin and goes against nature? How about those who sue a church?

Quote:
They FEAR homosexuality so much that they actively discriminate against and seek to repress homosexuals. Those are the actions of a homophobic bigot
Like those gays who FEAR religion and actively discriminate against them and seek to have them face legal problems. Those are actions of a gay religious-phobic bigot. Let gays have their parades and what not and keep religious people out of there. Let religious groups have their thing and keep gays out. Live and let live.

Quote:
So in review, merely "not supporting" homosexuality (whatever that means) doesn't make one a homophobe - but when you fear it so much you seek to discriminate against and suppress homosexuals, then yes, you are a homophobe. I don't seek to discriminate against or suppress Christians or other religious people. Therefore, I am not religiousphobic.
Interesting how you keep mentioning the word fear. There are many issues out there that people are not cheering for: raising taxes, war, animal rights, etc. People will have things against or for them and fear has nothing to do with their views. It’s words that gays seem to overuse: fear and hate. No, it’s just people who don’t support their cause or whatever you want to call it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
So, ask a child who has never been told (conditioned) otherwise if it is 'natural' for a man and woman to put their tongues in each other's mouths.

Explain to the child how he came to this world and then tell them about a gay or lesbian couple.

If homosexuality is something people are born with, totally natural, etc. then how about other sexual "orientations/preferences" such as pedophilia, necrophilia, bestiality, etc.? Or are those "orientations/preferences" bad?

If gays are all for accepting differences, celebrating diversity, being a loving happy family, respecting others, letting love rule, etc. then I suppose you guys would totally support a 50 year old woman parading and marching for her rights holding hands with her 13 year old boyfriend or a 50 year old man with her 13 year old girlfriend. Hhhhmm then children can be taught to accept those relationships as totally normal and acceptable. If someone doesn't accept and support that then those would also be considered full of hatred, close-minded, bigots, etc. "Adult/Children relationship-phobic"? A new expression can come out I am sure.

Last edited by onihC; 03-10-2011 at 09:46 AM..

Old 03-10-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
I know portraying the "poor me" image gets you lots of support and pity but there are other groups besides gays who get bullied in schools for their skin color, their religion, their clothes, their social status, their economic status, the area where they come from, etc. All kinds of violence should be punished regardless.
So how about we concentrate on teaching kids that bulling for any reason is wrong? How about we teach our children to ignore differences and concentrate on the things we all have in common? How about we teach children that compassion and empathy are good things?

Old 03-10-2011, 09:47 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,278,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
So how about we concentrate on teaching kids that bulling for any reason is wrong? How about we teach our children to ignore differences and concentrate on the things we all have in common? How about we teach children that compassion and empathy are good things?
That's right. Any kind of bullying is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies