Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 03:14 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,545,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I expect nothing less from christers; what would their Jesus have done?
Certainly not insult those of another religion.
Hypocrisy, nothing but.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEPod-hxD7g

did you even see the video??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The issue isn't free speech.

It's free excersize.

Are you aware Muslim information booths were set up inside the fair for the purpose proselytizing fair attendees?

Are you aware Christian organizations like Acts 17 are restricted to an area far from the actual fair?

Are you aware street proselytizing on public streets is a Constitutionally protected activity.

Public streets may not be temporarily declared non-public as Dearbornistan officials would like. This is also an unconstitutional action.
Not unless you're Christian it appears.....

The only people being shoved around were the Christians....

How the heck can someone be told "NO VIDEO TAPING" in an open festival???? Good Greif!! How does radical Islam continue to be defended by some of you???

Old 03-13-2011, 03:25 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ot6E...eature=related

Explain this!

Old 03-13-2011, 03:27 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtiO3...eature=related

Old 03-13-2011, 03:29 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLDck...eature=related

Old 03-13-2011, 03:34 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I expect nothing less from christers; what would their Jesus have done?
Certainly not insult those of another religion.
Hypocrisy, nothing but.

Ok, I'll play.

Who was insulted?

Old 03-13-2011, 09:57 AM

161 posts, read 246,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Some people need to visit Dearborn and the surrounding area. Went there three times last year and it's getting really bad...
This is so ignorant it's ridiculous. I was born in Dearborn, used to work in Dearborn, dated somebody from Dearborn, and currently volunteer in Dearborn. It's a great, eclectic mix of folks that live in complete harmony. The amount of hate that is launched at Dearborn is unbelievable.

People flip their nut about the amount of Muslims in Dearborn (I'm a Christian), yet throughout my life I can't site one example of these Muslims doing anything to "bring down America". It's just the ignorant, hard-line Christian people that can't handle a little diversity in their lives.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm quite familiar with the Bill of Rights.

I'm also quite familiar with organizing large annual events, like the one in Dearborn. Obviously you are not. When you have such large events, where you are selling vendor spaces, and issuing permits, there are a multitude of rules. At indoor car and boat shows, for instance, there are a host of rules that are imposed because of insurance requirements. The same is true of outdoor events where vendors and other participants use electricity and water, where foods are being cooked, where various tools are being used. There are fire regulations, and city codes that have to be observed. More than that, an organizer of such a venue is selling spaces with a particular focus. In this case, the festival is a celebration of a cultural heritage. You don't set up a funeral services booth at a wedding show, and you don't set up a Scandinavian heritage booth at a Jewish event.

The organizers were accommodating the Bill of Rights, including both freedom of speech and freedom of religion, by allowing several Christian groups to participate.

Only one of those Christian groups participated with the intent of creating a disturbance. As I stated earlier, I do think the police, in their attempt to be pro-active, overstepped their authority, hence the charges against this group being dropped. But I think their lawsuit against the police lacks substance as well, and is only more of an attempt to garner media attention, just as what happened at the festival was an attempt to garner media attention. They are manipulators with an agenda.

The disturbing the peace charges against Acts 17 were not dropped.

Acts 17 defendants were acquitted.

The only charge that resulted in a conviction was "disobeying a police officer". This charge was for refusing to stop video recording. The officer had no legal authority to issue this oder and this conviction will certainly be overturned on appeal.

The festival was a joint venture by the local Arab American Chaimber of Commerce and the City of Dearborn making Deraborn an equal partner. It is not within the city's authority to select which religions or religious sects are acceptable. That violates the Establishment Clause.

Since the public sidewalks were open to non-fair pedestrian traffic (businesses inside the fair were open to the public), they remained open public sidewalks while the fair was underway.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkytofu10 View Post
This is so ignorant it's ridiculous. I was born in Dearborn, used to work in Dearborn, dated somebody from Dearborn, and currently volunteer in Dearborn. It's a great, eclectic mix of folks that live in complete harmony. The amount of hate that is launched at Dearborn is unbelievable.

People flip their nut about the amount of Muslims in Dearborn (I'm a Christian), yet throughout my life I can't site one example of these Muslims doing anything to "bring down America". It's just the ignorant, hard-line Christian people that can't handle a little diversity in their lives.

The issue isn't diversity, nor is it the subject of this thread.

Charges of disturbing the peace were brought against a single group by the City of Dearborn, yet Muslims generally and "approved" Christian groups have routinely engaged in the very same activities (street evangelism and video recording) without police contact, harassment or arrest. That is selective enforcement of unwritten, unconstitutional rules by the City of Dearborn. Moreover, it amounts to an endorsement of one religion or sect over another violating the Establishment Clause.

So what do you have to say about these Christians being arrested for engaging in nothing more than Constitutionally protected street evangelism and video recording on a public street?

Old 03-15-2011, 05:01 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Don't the Rs say that they want frivolous lawsuit reform?
Then they turn around and file frivolous law****s!

Ah, hypocrisy at its finest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies