Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 09:29 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times

Advertisements

Yea, I'm doing a little stick poking here...

...But it seems to me a free society is not ultimately sustainable, probably due to human nature itself.

First off, a brief lesson on the true nature of humankind. Humans are barely evolved over our other ape kin. We are still playing a game of dominant vs submissive ape, though it's a bit more complicated than the chimps and gorillas these days. We are subject to the laws of nature, just as any other creature on this planet. If you want to understand human society and dynamics, you MUST understand this fundamental concept. No magic, no god given rights, no higher understanding directing the flow of humanity. It's all nature, and "magic thinking" only keeps the masses in the dark. WE ARE ANIMALS. Accept it.

Those in power know this...they also know people prefer "magic thinking" over logical thinking and use that to their advantage over us, and just enough inexplicable (not magic, inexplicable) stuff happens to keep the flames of magic thinking smoldering.

Anyway, back to freedom... The earlier generations of America felt the burning need to be free; they accomplished it and build an an insanely comfortable and wealthy society over several generations, far beyond anything that has ever been accomplished in history.

But with "easy living" comes lazyness, entitlement and the demand for ever-increasing comfort. Naturally, we desire and seek out the "easy life", and fail to understand that as we accept and adopt more dependant lifestyles, we gradually surrender our freedom in exchange for "easy life".

It's the same thing that happens with zoo animals. A wild caught animal thrown into a zoo goes crazy! They won't eat, they will injure themselves, try to escape and more often than not die well before their time. A captive born bred animal accepts captivity, however, and over time, subsequent generations will be even more docile. Given long enough, human control over breeding creates domestic animals. Now cows will walk up a ramp into the slaughterhouse with minimal disruption (Imagine what would of happened if we tried to do it with wild aurochs); chickens will sit in cages not even big enough to move in, their natural sense of freedom bred out of them.

The same thing is happening with humans today. Our desire for freedom is being "bred out" of us. We naturally embrace comfort and gladly sacrifice our indviduality in exchange. A sustainable free society cannot result from this kind of dynamic. Therfore our society is ultimately doomed. It's nature in action.

Last edited by Chango; 03-09-2011 at 09:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 01:02 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

...But it seems to me a free society is not ultimately sustainable, probably due to human nature itself.

First off, a brief lesson on the true nature of humankind. Humans are barely evolved over our other ape kin. We are still playing a game of dominant vs submissive ape, though it's a bit more complicated than the chimps and gorillas these days. We are subject to the laws of nature, just as any other creature on this planet. If you want to understand human society and dynamics, you MUST understand this fundamental concept. No magic, no god given rights, no higher understanding directing the flow of humanity. It's all nature, and "magic thinking" only keeps the masses in the dark. WE ARE ANIMALS. Accept it.

Those in power know this...they also know people prefer "magic thinking" over logical thinking and use that to their advantage over us, and just enough inexplicable (not magic, inexplicable) stuff happens to keep the flames of magic thinking smoldering.

Anyway, back to freedom... The earlier generations of America felt the burning need to be free; they accomplished it and build an an insanely comfortable and wealthy society over several generations, far beyond anything that has ever been accomplished in history.

But with "easy living" comes lazyness, entitlement and the demand for ever-increasing comfort. Naturally, we desire and seek out the "easy life", and fail to understand that as we accept and adopt more dependant lifestyles, we gradually surrender our freedom in exchange for "easy life".

It's the same thing that happens with zoo animals. A wild caught animal thrown into a zoo goes crazy! They won't eat, they will injure themselves, try to escape and more often than not die well before their time. A captive born bred animal accepts captivity, however, and over time, subsequent generations will be even more docile. Given long enough, human control over breeding creates domestic animals. Now cows will walk up a ramp into the slaughterhouse with minimal disruption (Imagine what would of happened if we tried to do it with wild aurochs); chickens will sit in cages not even big enough to move in, their natural sense of freedom bred out of them.

The same thing is happening with humans today. Our desire for freedom is being "bred out" of us. We naturally embrace comfort and gladly sacrifice our indviduality in exchange. A sustainable free society cannot result from this kind of dynamic. Therfore our society is ultimately doomed. It's nature in action.
That's exactly what entitlement programs do. We have survived for millenia without the need for Medicare or Social Security, yet the liberals on here find it somehow impossible to live without government programs. The only way to get rid of entitlements, is to just print money like mad and implode the economy, and tell the liberals see? I told you so. Then you can blame the liberals for their excesses

Old 03-09-2011, 01:03 PM

81 posts, read 197,367 times
Free society work but not without laws! Capitalism without failure is like religion without sin! The banks and mortgage industry were deregulated and look what happened!

Old 03-09-2011, 01:05 PM

537 posts, read 819,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerby View Post
Free society work but not without laws! Capitalism without failure is like religion without sin! The banks and mortgage industry were deregulated and look what happened!
Exactly, free society can work but we need some form of government. We can't have anarchy.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:10 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:

...as evidenced by the fall of the USSR.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:16 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,699 times
Completely faulty premise.
We are a completely free society. We are free to do as we please. We are free to work or not work. We are free to work hard or hardly at all.
It's your choice. You are free to sit in a room and stair at a wall.

But if you choose not to work then please don't ask society to take care of you. Don't put your hand out and say feed me, cloth me, give me shelter.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:21 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerby View Post
The government was forcing banks to lend money to people who couldn't afford to pay back.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:22 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Completely faulty premise.
We are a completely free society. We are free to do as we please. We are free to work or not work. We are free to work hard or hardly at all.
It's your choice. You are free to sit in a room and stair at a wall.

But if you choose not to work then please don't ask society to take care of you. Don't put your hand out and say feed me, cloth me, give me shelter.
Contesting a "faulty premise" with a real faulty premise.

We are NOT free to do as we please. If I was a nudist and decided to go for a walk in the park I would end up in jail, even though my act would be nothing more than just walking as a natural human does.

If I chose to quit work and stare at my wall I could, for a time. But soon enough my wall would be forclosed on. If I owned my wall outright, the government would take it for not paying taxes.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:51 PM

914 posts, read 4,445,518 times
I do agree. The problem the government has is: it is damned if they do, damned if they don't. When things are going well, people say "why are we funding this?" If something happens, people say "Why isn't the government doing something about this?" You hear many politicians nowadays talking about how we have laws that were important when we implemented them, but are pointless now. Do people really think things can't go back to the way they used to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
The government was forcing banks to lend money to people who couldn't afford to pay back.
I love this line. I worked for a bank during the housing boom. There was no forcing going on whatsoever. Whenever the government deregulated the industry, people celebrated. I heard tearful speeches about how the banks were working with the legislature to get more Americans than ever into a home (thus a mortgage). In the business world right now, almost no one looks at long term investments. We live in the era of get-rich-quick wall street kids who want to retire by the time they are 30. The mortgages companies were eating it up. Just like so many Americans are eating up this fabrication that the banks made bad mortgages because the government forced them to do it. Smart banks. Now they don't have to be held accountable for their actions. Because if you want it to be true than it must be.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:58 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,699 times
Quote:
Contesting a "faulty premise" with a real faulty premise.

We are NOT free to do as we please. If I was a nudist and decided to go for a walk in the park I would end up in jail, even though my act would be nothing more than just walking as a natural human does.

If I chose to quit work and stare at my wall I could, for a time. But soon enough my wall would be forclosed on. If I owned my wall outright, the government would take it for not paying taxes.
Good grief. Where did I say you were free to go nude? If you want to go nude in your own home then feel free, but please spare the rest of us in polite society.
Of course you have to navigate your life within the rules that we as a society have set up. And for your own info it is really best for you not to go around nude, it is a sanitation thing.

And if you actually owned your wall (home) and the bank didn't own it then you could stay. But evidently you have a mortgage so you don't own it the bank does so yes if you didn't honor your promise to the bank then you would lose it. Seems fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies