Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 03:43 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,004 times

Advertisements

Just about everyone has "low flow" toilets, just in case they were not aware of it. That change was made many years ago under federal law.

There are even lower-flow toilets, as well as "dual-flush" toilets available, but those are above and beyond the low flush toilets we now almost all use.

If building departments, environmental conservation and the health departments (as applicable to ones locality) would get with the twentieth century (much less the twenty-first century) and stop living in the dark ages, people could avail themselves of a variety of time-tested greywater reclamation methods which could significantly decrease water usage and increase overall system efficiency in a home that employs such a system, allowing the use of higher capacity toilets that flush better, with much less water waste. These agencies are always way behind the technology curve when it comes to new energy efficient and other green building techniques.

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 03-11-2011 at 03:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 03:46 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Maybe he should not wipe as much?? Perhaps invest in a rag?

Maybe we'll all need to, once they force us to use only one-ply TP.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:47 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Mine is so old, it still operates by gravity!

Old 03-11-2011, 03:54 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Mine is so old, it still operates by gravity!
As long as you have the great outdoors, you'll ALWAYS have place to go.

Throw in a shovel and a little bit of lime then you're definitely flyin' in the first class "seat"

Old 03-11-2011, 04:07 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Rand Paul: Toilets don't work, light bulb rules limit choices, Sen. Rand Paul says - latimes.com

Good to see Rand Paul and Michele Bachmann addressing issues that affect us all: toilet bowls and light bulbs. This is why we put Republicans in charge! God bless them!

Something wrong with the old light bulbs?

And don't get me started on "water saving" flush twice toilets!

I live in Michigan.

Why do I need a "water saving" toilet?

And why would anyone concerned about the environment trade bulbs made with Argon and Tungsten for those made with Mercury?

Never mind the new ones are made in Mexico and China.

I guess the last thing we needed in the US of A is a factory producing an American product we invented.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:25 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Exactly. I spend twice as long in the shower trying to wash off the soap and shampoo than I did with an "inefficient" one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyZ41rgC07o

LOL

Old 03-11-2011, 04:57 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
Just about everyone has "low flow" toilets, just in case they were not aware of it. That change was made many years ago under federal law.

There are even lower-flow toilets, as well as "dual-flush" toilets available, but those are above and beyond the low flush toilets we now almost all use.

If building departments, environmental conservation and the health departments (as applicable to ones locality) would get with the twentieth century (much less the twenty-first century) and stop living in the dark ages, people could avail themselves of a variety of time-tested greywater reclamation methods which could significantly decrease water usage and increase overall system efficiency in a home that employs such a system, allowing the use of higher capacity toilets that flush better, with much less water waste. These agencies are always way behind the technology curve when it comes to new energy efficient and other green building techniques.
Great post.
I really like the dual-flush toilets that are used all around Europe.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:22 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Something wrong with the old light bulbs?

And don't get me started on "water saving" flush twice toilets!

I live in Michigan.

Why do I need a "water saving" toilet?

And why would anyone concerned about the environment trade bulbs made with Argon and Tungsten for those made with Mercury?

Never mind the new ones are made in Mexico and China.

I guess the last thing we needed in the US of A is a factory producing an American product we invented.
Mercury is emitted when we burn coal for power; even with the mercury in the CFL's, they use/utilize 1/3 the mercury of incandescents.

You know that you pay more for your water in Michigan than I do for my water in Arizona? Weird, but true.

Oh, and toilets are not an American invention. Check the History of the Flush Toilet.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:28 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
I have 3 new low flow toilets, I have to unplug at least one every 2-3 days. Sometimes it takes 3-4 flushes to work properly.

A good example of a good government idea that does not work in the real world.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:25 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Oh, and toilets are not an American invention. Check the History of the Flush Toilet.
It's light bulbs that momonkey was talking about. Re-read his post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies