Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 12:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times

Advertisements

Oh my..this is not good. Even if they say "slightly radioactive".
That sounds like " a little bit pregnant". And not to worry...radioactive vapor will not effect the environment or humans ?

Like the BP spill didn't effect sea life in the Gulf ?

Japan to release of radioactive vapor at nuke pant - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110311/ap_on_bi_ge/as_japan_quake_power_plant - broken link)
"Japan's nuclear safety agency says pressure inside one of six boiling water reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi plant had risen to 1.5 times the level considered normal.

The agency said the radioactive element in the vapor that will be released would not affect the environment or human health."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 12:09 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That sounds like " a little bit pregnant". And not to worry...radioactive vapor will not effect the environment or humans ?

Japan to release of radioactive vapor at nuke pant - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110311/ap_on_bi_ge/as_japan_quake_power_plant - broken link)
"Japan's nuclear safety agency says pressure inside one of six boiling water reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi plant had risen to 1.5 times the level considered normal.

The agency said the radioactive element in the vapor that will be released would not affect the environment or human health."
Hmmmmm. I don't trust that statement either. But I'm not sure what other alternative there is. There is a high risk of it exploding, isn't there? I heard that the U.S. is sending some type of cooling mechanism help but not sure that will do it or arrive in time?

Old 03-11-2011, 12:11 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,083,461 times
Quote:
That sounds like " a little bit pregnant".
Then I have bad news for you:

YOU are radioactive.

I hope you are not also pregnant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan
And not to worry...radioactive vapor will not effect the environment or humans ?
Since the environment is already naturally radioactive (I was gonna say "slightly radioactive" but you seem to dislike the term) what effects do you have in mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan
Wow!!! Who ever said that?

Old 03-11-2011, 12:12 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,782,362 times
I just hope and pray they get it under control soon. I would hate to imagine what a total meltdown would do.....

Old 03-11-2011, 12:13 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:

Very scary stuff.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:15 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,312,552 times
There is background cosmic radiation, and radiation emanating from the earth. And radiation exposure from medical studies is on average 2x more than the natural radiation. It is conceivable that the amount of radioactive vapors may get dispersed and mean nothing. Hope they are able to contain it.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:17 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,201,832 times
Great, this will be twisted and amplified to be used by the "no nuclear power" crowd.

Maybe they'll make a new Stalker expansion pack.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:19 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
There is background cosmic radiation, and radiation emanating from the earth. And radiation exposure from medical studies is on average 2x more than the natural radiation. It is conceivable that the amount of radioactive vapors may get dispersed and mean nothing. Hope they are able to contain it.
Most exposure is from Radon:

Old 03-11-2011, 12:24 PM

3,770 posts, read 4,983,192 times
Very sad situation in Japan. I hope and pray that this horror can end as soon as possible. I can't Imagine the trauma the Japanese people are going through right now.

1. Earth Quake 8.9
2. Tsunami
3. Nuclear Reactor leak.
4. Debris scatter miles inland.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
Very sad situation in Japan. I hope and pray that this horror can end as soon as possible. I can't Imagine the trauma the Japanese people are going through right now.

1. Earth Quake 8.9
2. Tsunami
3. Nuclear Reactor leak.
4. Debris scatter miles inland.
There's more..their tech industry and mfg is damaged.
Sony is completely shut down.

Japan Earthquake Disrupts Wireless Networks, Manufacturing | Arik Hesseldahl | NewEnterprise | AllThingsD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies