Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think The Supreme Court Made The Correct Decision???
YES..... I reluctantly do! 58 69.05%
NO.....The "church" goes too far! 25 29.76%
I Have No Opinion on the ruling! 1 1.19%
I don't really care! 0 0%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 10:05 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,535,386 times

Advertisements

I don't think any of us are thrilled with this "group" of hatemongers. Maybe this will be the thread where most of us actually agree on something.

However.......I reluctantly agree with the court ruling in favor of free speech......no matter how obnoxious or offensive I myself find their words and behaviour.

The "Church" usually pickets Military Funerals and Gay Funerals...very despicable behaviour IMHO.

And NEWS FLASH.....Sarah Palin and myself are in complete agreement about how we feel regarding WestBoro Baptist.

Please keep in mind that as American citizens; we also have a right to COUNTER PROTEST the members of this "church", wherever and whenever they show up at funerals etcetera.

1st Amendment protects Westboro, Court rules | News Story on 365gay.com

Westboro Funeral Pickets Are Protected Speech, High Court Rules - FoxNews.com

Supreme Court: Anti-gay funeral picketers allowed - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110302/ap_on_re_us/us_supreme_court_funeral_protests - broken link)

Sarah Palin: Westboro Baptist Church Ruling Reflects Lack Of 'Common Sense & Decency'

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 03-02-2011 at 10:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 10:12 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,313,886 times
No option for "Yes - I enthusiastically agree"?

Old 03-02-2011, 10:12 PM

4,081 posts, read 5,611,614 times
I agree with Justice Alito.

"In order to have a society in which public issues can be openly and vigorously debated, it is not necessary to allow the brutalization of innocent victims like petitioner."

While Roberts argues that the content of Westboro's protest signs "plainly relates to public, rather than private, matters," Alito seems to find that the public intention doesn't negate the personal damage that was inflicted.

"Respondents brutally attacked Matthew Snyder, and this attack, which was almost certain to inflict injury, was central to respondents' well-practiced strategy for attracting public attention,"

I disagree with Justice Roberts.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
No option for "Yes - I enthusiastically agree"?
You just added it......LOL......I don't want to ruffle feathers, which is surprisingly easy sometimes....so I used "reluctantly", otherwise someone would get upset and misconstrue my intent.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
I agree with Justice Alito.

"In order to have a society in which public issues can be openly and vigorously debated, it is not necessary to allow the brutalization of innocent victims like petitioner."

While Roberts argues that the content of Westboro's protest signs "plainly relates to public, rather than private, matters," Alito seems to find that the public intention doesn't negate the personal damage that was inflicted.

"Respondents brutally attacked Matthew Snyder, and this attack, which was almost certain to inflict injury, was central to respondents' well-practiced strategy for attracting public attention,"

I disagree with Justice Roberts.
I understand your point and agree with you, but IMHO......we must preserve our First Amendment rights; even with this group of "evil people".....and even though it pains us to recognize their rights to protest.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:27 PM

948 posts, read 1,386,791 times
As a Patriot rider I go to the funerals as an invited guest by the deceased's family to form a human wall between the Westboro idiots and the mourners.
However as an American with a voice and the US Constitution protecting that voice I must allow hate mongers there voice no matter how much I hate it in order to defend my voice.
At privet cemeteries they should be banned but at cemeteries that are public and or are national monuments the Westboro idiots must be allowed. We can protect the griever's from the hateful words but we can't protect America from the right to be heard if we smother even the most disgusting voice.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:28 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,341,538 times
People should protest outside these lunatic's "church" and at their funerals. Let them get a taste of their own medicine.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:33 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,984,892 times
I reluctantly agree.

I don't care what anyone says about Bill O'Reilly because he offered to pay the Family of Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder the court costs.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewmik View Post
As a Patriot rider I go to the funerals as an invited guest by the deceased's family to form a human wall between the Westboro idiots and the mourners.
However as an American with a voice and the US Constitution protecting that voice I must allow hate mongers there voice no matter how much I hate it in order to defend my voice.
At privet cemeteries they should be banned but at cemeteries that are public and or are national monuments the Westboro idiots must be allowed. We can protect the griever's from the hateful words but we can't protect America from the right to be heard if we smother even the most disgusting voice.
Thankyou so much for what you do!!!!!( my mate is a Military Veteran and gay)......I've heard of the Patriot Riders. Westboro was to protest in my hometown of Pittston but the residents were well organized to counter protest and WestBoro backed down!

Here's a group of students which the church protested.....but they dressed as angels to shield others from the hatred; I hear this is now done often to spare grieving families the trauma caused by WestBoro's activities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmIfEXiU7l8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS3Tw...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WVao...feature=relmfu

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 03-02-2011 at 10:47 PM..

Old 03-02-2011, 10:51 PM

948 posts, read 1,386,791 times
Just FYI you don't have to have a bike to join PGR. Simply look at the web page and if they are asked to go to a funeral in your area it is posted on a twitter like board. Remember that they only show up as guests requested by the family so don't just show up and start a wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies