Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 07:45 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,422,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
Ron Paul intorduced the Education Improvement Tax Cut Act. Homeschoolers and people whose kids are in private school might stand the chance of getting some of their money back if the bill passes. let's see some of those tea partiers put their money where their mouths are
I have said all along that we should take the money each child receives from the state and federal government, then apply that to a voucher.

If a parent home schools their child, then that voucher could be cashed in by the family and used as extra income. This could mean a mother could quit her job, and stay home raising her children.

If a parent finds a cheaper/better private school or tutor, then they could use that money for that purpose, and keep the extra.

It would all hinge on how you judge the progress of the children in learning. If that means you are judging by tests, or whatever, thats what it would all hinge upon.

I seriously doubt this will happen though. The Democrats are in the pockets of the teachers unions, and there are several Republicans as well, not to mention the special interests from those who run large private schools that don't want this to happen that donate to Republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 07:48 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,200,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
Hold it just a second here. I have NO children, and I have to pay.
If this catches on and half the children are in the school we will see half the staff at the school .
Also as a reward to us (I have no children) as we age we will be living with more young adults that were allowed to discuss God and family while learning at home .
Other benefits , less teen pregnancies , drug use and so on.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:51 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,219,840 times
Quote:
tax credits are not subsidies!
Right... B.S.

It is just another tax break for the wealthier taxpayer.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,922,132 times
Quote:
tax credits are not subsidies!
If someone is getting a tax break that someone else is not, it's a subsidy. You can put lipstick on a pig. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You used "collecting taxes" and "free" in the same sentence lol
Every state constitution guarantees a "free public education".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I have said all along that we should take the money each child receives from the state and federal government, then apply that to a voucher.

If a parent home schools their child, then that voucher could be cashed in by the family and used as extra income. This could mean a mother could quit her job, and stay home raising her children.

If a parent finds a cheaper/better private school or tutor, then they could use that money for that purpose, and keep the extra.

It would all hinge on how you judge the progress of the children in learning. If that means you are judging by tests, or whatever, thats what it would all hinge upon.

I seriously doubt this will happen though. The Democrats are in the pockets of the teachers unions, and there are several Republicans as well, not to mention the special interests from those who run large private schools that don't want this to happen that donate to Republicans.
Um, sure, a mom (but not dad, apparently) could quit her job and get the $5K to homeschool. I'm sure that would work out financially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
If this catches on and half the children are in the school we will see half the staff at the school .
Also as a reward to us (I have no children) as we age we will be living with more young adults that were allowed to discuss God and family while learning at home .
Other benefits , less teen pregnancies , drug use and so on.
If you think there are fewer teen pregnancies, drug use, and such at private schools, even Chritstian schools, you need to think again.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:03 AM

45,260 posts, read 26,514,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Every state constitution guarantees a "free public education".
It's not "free" if my taxes pay for it.You've either been brainwashed or are trying to brainwash others with that line of b.s.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:15 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,048,991 times
Basically I don't want tax money going to promote whatever weird ideas Jenny Jones decides to teach her kids at home.

If public schools aren't good enough for you, there are several answers:
get involved in your child's education and school
teach what you see as lacking at home - manners, god, sharia law, whatever
pay extra to have some school instill your particular "education" if you don't have the time or energy to participate in the public & family education of your child & feel the need to isolate them from any conflicting thought processes.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:17 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,988,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
That's what I was just about to say! Where's my refund?

Stupidass idea of the week from the right. As a society, every single one of us has not only an obligation, but an interest in seeing our nation's children educated.
Exactly, which is why as a parent I'm probably going to home school my child. I graduated high school just 5 years ago so I can remember how little learning actually goes on in a public school. I had some great teachers sure, but for the most part teachers are forced to pander to the lowest common denominator. There's no excelling in public schools as you can only learn at the pace of the slowest kid, even if you take advanced classes.

Schools in America by and large do a poor job educating children. All you learn how to do is take tests and get by. Most of the knowledge I've retained from my youth came from independent private study. I support this bill completely. I say make it easier to home school and send your kids to private schools so that there's competition. Make public schools actually compete and we might see an improvement in education here in America but right now we are just falling farther and farther behind.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:18 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,922,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
It's not "free" if my taxes pay for it.You've either been brainwashed or are trying to brainwash others with that line of b.s.
http://www.ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Article_IX,_Colorado_ (broken link)

Text of Section 2:
Establishment and Maintenance of Public Schools.

The general assembly shall, as soon as practicable, provide for the establishment and maintenance of a thorough and uniform system of free public schools throughout the state, wherein all residents of the state, between the ages of six and twenty*one years, may be educated gratuitously.

This means w/o charge to the student. Every other state constitution contains similar wording, with the same meaning.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:21 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,972,144 times
"Wealthier" taxpayer??!!?? My family would qualify for that tax credit, and we are by no means wealthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer2 View Post
Right... B.S.

It is just another tax break for the wealthier taxpayer.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:21 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,314,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
Hold it just a second here. I have NO children, and I have to pay.
If people can't afford to have kids on their own, don't breed.
I have no problem paying for public schools, but my tax dollars being used for private and/or religious schooling is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies