Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 10:26 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
We wont know the answer to that one for decades.. Many thought the same when we went it to fight Hitler as well..
Pearl Harbor kinda made that a moot point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I dont know if we are going to change that, but what I do know is its not right to have a government that kills their own people. I dont view these wars as religious, they are hopefully helping opressed individuals get an equal footing in their country. This is the same as other countries who came forward and helped america establish our independance from the British monarchy.. Tyranical dictators have no place in this world..
Of course it's not right having a government kill its own people but, what makes changing that government our responsibility? There are many tyrannical dictators in the world, should we attempt deposing them all? If not, how do we judge which should be removed and which not?

I realize France helped us during the revolution, I also realize they did it as much for their hatred of England as for helping us and almost went bankrupt in the process, hardly a great role model for action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 10:42 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Pearl Harbor kinda made that a moot point
Yes it did.. but imagine if Pearl Harbor didnt take place.. How long would we have sat back and allowed the actions to take place?
Quote:
Of course it's not right having a government kill its own people but, what makes changing that government our responsibility? There are many tyrannical dictators in the world, should we attempt deposing them all? If not, how do we judge which should be removed and which not?
I cant answer that one. Thats why there is a policy in place to allow the 500+ elected individuals decide, why we have the UN, NATO, and dozens upon dozens of treaties. You cant side step the legal process.
Quote:
I realize France helped us during the revolution, I also realize they did it as much for their hatred of England as for helping us and almost went bankrupt in the process, hardly a great role model for action.
Yes they almost went bankrupt, but somethings you do out of personal conviction, its not about money.. I've bankrupted my family once holding up to my strong beliefs, and I bankrupted another company many years later when I sued them out of business, knowing darn well they couldnt afford the judgment I was almost guaranteed to receive. I spent $50,000 in legal fees knowing my financial return would be $0, but I did so to protect others from getting involved in the same thing I got involved in. Not everything is about money..

Old 03-29-2011, 12:22 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
$600 million....6 days...that bothers me greatly. To be fair, I am still bothered by the cost of the Iraq/Afghan wars too. I am sitting in Iraq right now and, trust me, the American taxpayer would be even more livid if they could actually witness the war monstrosity we've built here.

I am 100% for a solid national defense. I am 100% for taking on evil dictators. I believe the United States has a mandate to lead the world in democratic reforms. However, there has to be a way to do it cheaper. There has to be a way to reign in knee-jerk spending at the DoD. It truly is out of control. This is the fiscal conservative in me speaking.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:34 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,829,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
So the leftards are now NOT concerned with the cost???

How cute to be so hypocritical.
I share the same view of this war as you, but I really have to take a step back and politely ask that you don't use the language you've used in your post anymore. Whether you realize it or not, or whether you think you're being cute and sarcastic, your language is really obnoxious and hateful.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:39 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
$600 million....6 days...that bothers me greatly. To be fair, I am still bothered by the cost of the Iraq/Afghan wars too. I am sitting in Iraq right now and, trust me, the American taxpayer would be even more livid if they could actually witness the war monstrosity we've built here.

I am 100% for a solid national defense. I am 100% for taking on evil dictators. I believe the United States has a mandate to lead the world in democratic reforms. However, there has to be a way to do it cheaper. There has to be a way to reign in knee-jerk spending at the DoD. It truly is out of control. This is the fiscal conservative in me speaking.
I don't think it IS the US business to take out
any dictators. Nor do I think we need to have a
mandate for democracy across the world. We
are not the ONLY form of government. Nor are
we perfect.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

I applaud you for your service first of all, and wish you safety during your time in the sandbox.

I disagree that the USA needs to lead the world in democratic reform though. This hasn't worked very well, considering that we also lead the world in reform induced economic (**** hits the fan) situations.

The Libertarian in me would suggest we consider not having active bases in so many regions, slowly backing away from our current military-industrial-complexes that we've built around the world, and coming up with a new phase of American non-interventionalistism.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:53 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
I applaud you for your service first of all, and wish you safety during your time in the sandbox.

I disagree that the USA needs to lead the world in democratic reform though. This hasn't worked very well, considering that we also lead the world in reform induced economic (**** hits the fan) situations.

The Libertarian in me would suggest we consider not having active bases in so many regions, slowly backing away from our current military-industrial-complexes that we've built around the world, and coming up with a new phase of American non-interventionalistism.
It's interesting to see the coverage in the US,
with a President with no question and answer with our typical pentagon news conference
versus a news conference in Portugal. Like night and day.

And the Portugal news media has had the ability
to ask much more of their leader than we have
been allowed to here. It's really sad.

Once again - America is being sucked into
something we have no business belonging to.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
This seems to be Sanrene's former opinion before she realized that is was also Obama's.

Obama the Impotent: After saying Moahmar must go, sits back and watches the slaughter
Lol...Thanks for doing the searching, I was just about to do the same.

How sad does one have to be that their party solidarity would excuse the deaths of and US troops? This war is wrong. That is the same standard for every war we've been in since WW2. The OP is such a partisan hack that she can somehow justify the killing of human beings for her political agenda, and has done so for as long as she has been active on this forum.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Yes, until he waited 3+ weeks too late while the slaughter continued unabated. Now the mission is expanding, we seem to be the spear for the rebels, some say for AQ.
Just came across this gem. So would you argue that if Obama went in 3 weeks earlier that the rebels would not have been possible AQ fighters and we would have been right on time?

How more back-handed could your previous statement be. Obama somehow waited 3+ weeks too late causing Libyans to be killed, but now, that we are involved it is too late and the "turrirests" are gonna kill us all in our sleep.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 03-29-2011 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic and not your fellow posters.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:46 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Default Under Bush, it would be $40 BILLION

Can't imagine what the cost would be if Republicans were calling the shots. $40 BILLION appears about right. Under Bush, the military do such things as move against the same empty village twelve times to claim twelve victories. This while their home country bleeds to death and NOTHING gets resolved over an extended campaign.

Add to this about 100 suicides by american soldiers, hundreds of casualties because of "friendly fire", secret torturing, color-coded alerts at american airports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies