Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 11:36 AM

4,458 posts, read 4,192,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Maybe you do not know this but your freedom of speech ends when your words cause harm to others. You cannot start a riot or yell Fire in a theater simply because you want to, you will be charged and convicted. Words can have consequences and if you know that your words or actions will cause harm to others your are responsible under the law. I can assure you that if he goes through with his stupidity ther Will be people in the Justice Dept looking to charge him and lock his sorry arse away for a long while.
Casper
So...if I said I and some fellow Christians would go on a murdering rampage if you smeared Christians in anyway that did not suit us, and you did it anyway, that you could be charged and possibly imprisoned because you were warned what would happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 11:39 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Maybe you do not know this but your freedom of speech ends when your words cause harm to others. You cannot start a riot or yell Fire in a theater simply because you want to, you will be charged and convicted. Words can have consequences and if you know that your words or actions will cause harm to others your are responsible under the law. I can assure you that if he goes through with his stupidity ther Will be people in the Justice Dept looking to charge him and lock his sorry arse away for a long while.
Casper
So if I say I am going to burn a Koran (or actually do it) within my own country, and a bunch of ignorant cavemen in some sand-filled sh*t-hole on the other side of the world get upset and start killing each other, I'm responsible? Why should I even feel bad about them doing such since it's their choice to do so without being forced by me?

Where does the cherished American right to freedom of speech come in? Should it be curtailed because some savage elsewhere disagrees?

Words don't cause harm. Reactions to them might, but the speaker cannot control how others react to what is said.

When we start giving in to the terrorists, they win. Looks like you've already lost. Some of us haven't conceded defeat.

Whether or not I support the pastor's actions, I wholeheartedly support his right to do what he did.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:40 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Well played
Hilter,Stalin, Mao et al.all stood behind excuses like yours to squelch the freedom of speech quite effectively.
I guess you disagree that speech can result in the deaths of others.
Next time you fly talk about making bombs while in the airport or on the airplane or go to the movies and start yelling Fire, enjoy your experience with our fine men and women wearing blue, you may find out they do not share your idea of freedom of speech or your sense of humor.
Casper

Old 04-05-2011, 11:43 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Next time you fly talk about making bombs while in the airport or on the airplane or go to the movies and start yelling Fire, enjoy your experience with our fine men and women wearing blue, you may find out they do not share your idea of freedom of speech or your sense of humor.
Casper
Yep, nothing says "I have a bomb" or "FIRE" in a theater better than the crackling sound of Koran's pages set a light. What language does the Koran speak while it is on fire? Arabic?

Old 04-05-2011, 11:44 AM

4,458 posts, read 4,192,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I understood the whole thing.

There is no part of it that is unclear to me. You agreed he was irresponsible and went on to say in the same sentence that it wasn't for you to decide what is or is not responsible for another person to do. One part directly contradicts that other.
Obviously not. I have an opinion but I may not force my opinion on him and his rights. Clear now?

Quote:
I have no quarrel with his right to make a statement by burning a Koran and have repeatedly said so. Nor do I quarrel with his right to publicize the event. But to knowingly, willfully and against the pleas of the Pentagon take an action, such as publicizing the event, that will, unquestionably, result in injury and death to innocent people is cold and morally irresponsible.
I agree but, I cannot force my opinion on him or make him behave in a manner suiting me anymore than you can.

By the way, it was the media who publicized it, are they as morally irresponsible as Jones is? Should they be charged, imprisoned, forced to do your or my will?

Old 04-05-2011, 11:47 AM

623 posts, read 1,602,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
By the way, it was the media who publicized it, are they as morally irresponsible as Jones is? Should they be charged, imprisoned, forced to do your or my will?
Thank you for posting this. Great points.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:48 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
So if I say I am going to burn a Koran (or actually do it) within my own country, and a bunch of ignorant cavemen in some sand-filled sh*t-hole on the other side of the world get upset and start killing each other, I'm responsible? Why should I even feel bad about them doing such since it's their choice to do so without being forced by me?

Where does the cherished American right to freedom of speech come in? Should it be curtailed because some savage elsewhere disagrees?

Words don't cause harm. Reactions to them might, but the speaker cannot control how others react to what is said.

When we start giving in to the terrorists, they win. Looks like you've already lost. Some of us haven't conceded defeat.

Whether or not I support the pastor's actions, I wholeheartedly support his right to do what he did.
Along with rights come responsibilities.

I have not seen one post from anyone saying the preacher did not have a right to burn a Koran. Or even the right to publicize it. This whole debate is about the blatant irresponsibility of willfully and knowingly taking an action that would unquestionably lead to death and injury of innocent people but short-sighted people want to make the whole thing about Constitutional rights and nothing else.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:49 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Casper
If I violate the laws of the US while within the US (such as saying I have a bomb while onboard an aircraft), then I can be held to account for it within the US and suffer punishment in the US under that law. If I say something which I am free to say within the US, and someone in another far away country takes exception (to the point of murdering a fellow savage), then under what law shall I be held accountable for his action? Should their laws apply here? Should ours be enforced there? Can we hold the population of the world outside the US accountable for not filing a US tax return as US residents are required to do? It's a crime after all.

If you say that the pastor by his actions killed 20 more radical muslims than I have (I've killed none that I know of), then he's probably more successful at eliminating the muslim threat than most soldiers in the field who have been sent for that very purpose.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:52 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Wow, looks like a hit a nerve with some of you defending the Moron. Defend him all you want, freedom of speech is not what you seem to think it is, hopefully no one you care about will end up getting hurt by his stupidity.
As for MLK he never advocated violence in any way, the violence came from those attempting to stop his marches.
Anyway I had my say, go on with your defending of the Moron.
Casper

Old 04-05-2011, 11:55 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Wow, looks like a hit a nerve with some of you defending the Moron. Defend him all you want, freedom of speech is not what you seem to think it is, hopefully no one you care about will end up getting hurt by his stupidity.
As for MLK he never advocated violence in any way, the violence came from those attempting to stop his marches.
Anyway I had my say, go on with your defending of the Moron.
Casper
As the tail gets tucked between the legs.... I think you are the one who doesn't understand freedom of speech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies