Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 01:32 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,192,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I would like for people who cherish freedom to realize that exercising those freedoms come with responsibilities and that people really need to think about the consequences of their actions before engaging in stupid publicity stunts that will predictably lead to a bad outcome.

Key words = "freedoms come with responsibilities" and "stupid publicity stunts".

That's what I would hope for but, realistically, I know there are too many asshats in the world to ever expect it.
Maybe no one has said this yet but I hear you. You have said your piece and I agree but no one can or should take his rights away no matter how bad you think they are or how bad you hate what they did.

The SC recently upheld the rights of the Westboro Church under freedom of speech. I do not like them but they have their rights.

Again you have made your point, so what now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 01:35 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
Did you not say and is it not true that our military in Afghanistan is supporting Karzai and wasn't it Karzai who stirred the pot?
Yes indeed.

I find that particularly disturbing.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It’s not "us" just one religious extremist who gets messages from god. Certainly he has the right, so does Reverend Phelps but the sooner they both shut up the better life will be for all.
I don't like it either and they are being censured but if we try to take away their rights, we will actually be taking away OUR rights.

My Momma told me long ago that it takes all kinds to make the world go around and that is a fact.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:41 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Quote:
I don't like it either and they are being censured but if we try to take away their rights, we will actually be taking away OUR rights.

My Momma told me long ago that it takes all kinds to make the world go around and that is a fact.
I think we are all against any government sanction on these people.

But some of us would really like to see some non-governmental sanction.

Tar and feathers would be nice.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Yes indeed.

I find that particularly disturbing.
Then maybe you should use your next hundred posts to condemn him and his ilk who are by far more responsible for the killing.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I think we are all against any government sanction on these people.

But some of us would really like to see some non-governmental sanction.

Tar and feathers would be nice.
I am up for anything that is legal but I don't think "tar and feathering" falls into that category.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:45 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
The Muslims are more crazy than Pastor Jones. Jones hasn't harmed anybody, but the Muslims seam to have no problem taking the lives of others. Are Muslims even human? Can they not see how barbaric they are?

Old 04-06-2011, 01:52 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Quote:
Maybe no one has said this yet but I hear you. You have said your piece and I agree but no one can or should take his rights away no matter how bad you think they are or how bad you hate what they did.

The SC recently upheld the rights of the Westboro Church under freedom of speech. I do not like them but they have their rights.

Again you have made your point, so what now?
My stance and your stance are the same. You asked me what else I wanted. I answered........

Old 04-06-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
My stance and your stance are the same. You asked me what else I wanted. I answered........
That is why we are friends.

I do not want to be presumptuous but I do not think you have stated what you really want. I think you are like Strel and others who would like to see some punishment dolled out for perceive irresponsibility the same as you would do with a child that disobeyed, am I right?

Old 04-06-2011, 02:03 PM

175 posts, read 302,564 times
Quote:
So many on here are saying Jones had the right but yet they want to shut him up.

If you are in the military, are you not there to fight for your and our freedoms?

Should we be bullied into silence by extremists Muslims under the threat of MURDER? I say HELL NO!!! But that is just my opinion.
Yes, as I and many others have said multiple times, just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean you should. I have the right to mock a handicapped person that doesn't mean I should (or would) do it. We aren't being bullied into silence by the extremists, we're fighting them everyday over there under the DIRECT threat of murder. So why are civilians back in their safe homes in the States doing things to make them even more enraged making the fight escalate that much more for troops over there than it already is when said civilians don't have to deal with the DIRECT consequences of their actions like the troops do? Yes, yes, they have a right to, but you'd think they'd care enough about the consequences for the troops over there now to not do anything unnecessary like burning this book was. There was no point to it except to earn him publicity. There is a way to use your rights to get your point across without doing what the pastor did.

Also you mention the extremist Muslims, yes they are the ones we are already fighting and working on NOT allowing them to get away with this kind of stuff. The ones we already know will resort to using this as an excuse to further murder people. However, maybe as a civilian this doesn't occur to you but our job over there isn't just to get rid of the extremists, it's also to work with the civilian population who are NOT extremists over there in such a way as to bring them on our side so they do NOT become a part of the extremists' side in the future and make more enemies for us. So hopefully we won't have another incident like 9/11. By doing something as unnecessary as this pastor did, it's only making them see us as the enemy. This book means a lot to them, a lot more than people who don't believe in it can understand. They aren't extremists, they don't murder, they live ordinary lives in their villages, but this book still means the world to them. Next time said extremists come to their village in order to try and get some civilians to join them, those people who were hurt by what the pastor did may start to think these extremists have a point, esp. those who are younger and more impressionable which is exactly who they're seeking out because they know they can smooth talk them. We don't need more enemies.

Quote:
Did you not say and is it not true that our military in Afghanistan is supporting Karzai and wasn't it Karzai who stirred the pot?
Our relationship with Karzai has clearly been rocky. Don't you think people in the military tried to reason with him just as they tried to reason with the pastor? This isn't an easy struggle we find ourselves in and just as the pastor was in the wrong, so was Karzai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies