Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:14 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
BFD.......
In case you never "thought" of it......which I'm sure is very difficult for you(I bet you have a headache now).....Stern is pretty much a shock jock; so for him to approve of gay marriage is LOL......shocking.

Do I much value Stern's opinions.....NO...... not really......I've never even listened to the man's radio show but apparently MILLIONS of people do!

And in case your neurons did not notice.......it was 4 of the most unlikely names you could think of that are for gay marriage...IF you watched the video....the thread and Maher's commentary were meant to bring some humor into this serious topic....but I see that went right on over your head.

I just noticed I spelled Cheney.....wrong in the thread title.....Opps!...my apologies to Dick.

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 04-04-2011 at 09:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 09:33 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
If gays were more passionate about supporting affirmative action, then your argument for "equality" might have some serious meat to it. "Selective equality" seems to be your focus and it is very, very hollow IMO.

Fight for equality for same sex marriage, while practicing inequality within the gay community: black gays are shunned within the gay community.

Fight for equality for same sex marriage, while not supporting affirmative action, thus pretending as if racism no longer exists to the detriment of black people. Not good.
gay marriage = equality
affirmative action = special rights

completely different issues

Old 04-04-2011, 09:37 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
So, two gay people stay in a committed relationship for 32 years like my spouse and I have and we get no benefits or rights that a straight couple can get for the price of a marriage license and they get those benefits right away, even if it is their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and so on marriage. Half of straight marriages are shams and they get the rights and the benefits, yet gay couples that have been together much longer get squat. We are demanding the same rights and benefits that your bogus straight marriages get, no more, no less. It is not a can of worms, it is called equality. How dare you call committed gay relationships shacking up, I am sorry but that is what every other straight couple is doing.
your correct half the so called marriages(hetro/homo) out there are shams...that's why ELIMINATE ALL OF THEM...eliminate the GREED

Quote:
How dare you call committed gay relationships shacking up, I am sorry but that is what every other straight couple is doing
uhmm

where did I call ""GAY"" relationships shacking up...I was talking about ALL relationships..because that is what it is..shacking up with someone..whether its opposite sex, or same sex

here is a question

why do you need a piece of paper granting you PERMISSION (that's what a LICENSE is), to validate your love???

eliminate ALL the taxbreaks of marriage

eliminate all the LUMPING of insurnace...you are a committed couple..you are still TWO INDIVIDUALS...get INDIVIDUAL insurance..and a sepertate policy for the kids...quit making MY insurance more expensive because YOU want to lump your with someother INDIVIDUAL

you want to have a say, in the hospital...GO TO A LAWYER and get a POA

gays crying about marriage is like kids crying about dessert..you still didnt finish your dinner

Old 04-04-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
gay marriage = equality
affirmative action = special rights

completely different issues
uhmmm

affirmative action= special rights
ALL marriage= special rights not afforded to single people

very much the same

Old 04-04-2011, 09:40 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Equal rights are greedy.....ROFL......take the rights away from ALL straights.......see what happens to your sorry .

Just because you don't want to or can't find someone to marry....Don't take out your hateful bitterness on Gays and Straights who do want to get married!

You got nerve telling me what you think I want....Get a life!
You want the word "marriage" or do you want "equal rights" that "married" hetero couples get, legally?

Here's a solution:

All legal gov't recognized unions between hetero and homo couples get called "civil unions" and are recognized contracts between two people with certain "entitlements" when it comes to contract holder benefits, "rights", etc.

No more use of the word "marriage".

Is it easier to dissolve a civil union with kids and assets involved, than a heterosexual marriage? Because that's certainly going to happen once the novelty wears off.

Last edited by Informed Info; 04-04-2011 at 09:53 PM..

Old 04-05-2011, 12:16 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Are you married, Workingclasshero? Because if you are, then you really do not have a word in this. You have your rights and benefits, so if you are really for the government keeping out of marriage, you would give yours up before telling others they do not deserve theirs. You cannot have it and tell others they can't. That is the part that is called inequality. Gays are not even allowed marriage, yet straights get to do it over and over. Give all your straight marriages up, then maybe we gays will say it is equal, until then it is not equal or fair. Maybe to you, but not to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
your correct half the so called marriages(hetro/homo) out there are shams...that's why ELIMINATE ALL OF THEM...eliminate the GREED

uhmm

where did I call ""GAY"" relationships shacking up...I was talking about ALL relationships..because that is what it is..shacking up with someone..whether its opposite sex, or same sex

here is a question

why do you need a piece of paper granting you PERMISSION (that's what a LICENSE is), to validate your love???

eliminate ALL the taxbreaks of marriage

eliminate all the LUMPING of insurnace...you are a committed couple..you are still TWO INDIVIDUALS...get INDIVIDUAL insurance..and a sepertate policy for the kids...quit making MY insurance more expensive because YOU want to lump your with someother INDIVIDUAL

you want to have a say, in the hospital...GO TO A LAWYER and get a POA

gays crying about marriage is like kids crying about dessert..you still didnt finish your dinner

Old 04-05-2011, 12:21 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
You want the word "marriage" or do you want "equal rights" that "married" hetero couples get, legally?

Here's a solution:

All legal gov't recognized unions between hetero and homo couples get called "civil unions" and are recognized contracts between two people with certain "entitlements" when it comes to contract holder benefits, "rights", etc.

No more use of the word "marriage".

Is it easier to dissolve a civil union with kids and assets involved, than a heterosexual marriage? Because that's certainly going to happen once the novelty wears off.
All legal marriages are already civil unions. Wether it be domestic partnerships, civil unions or gay marriages, they still have to go through the same divorce proceedings. Marriages performed in the church without a marriage license are not legal or binding, only civil unions made legal by the marriage license are binding. A church wedding is only a ceremony. It is simpler to eliminate the defense of straight marriage act.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Are you married, Workingclasshero? Because if you are, then you really do not have a word in this. You have your rights and benefits, so if you are really for the government keeping out of marriage, you would give yours up before telling others they do not deserve theirs. You cannot have it and tell others they can't. That is the part that is called inequality. Gays are not even allowed marriage, yet straights get to do it over and over. Give all your straight marriages up, then maybe we gays will say it is equal, until then it is not equal or fair. Maybe to you, but not to us.
have you not been hearing(understanding) what I have been typing??

yes ABOLISH ALL marriages to include hetro current ones

I do not need a piece of paper to tell me that I love my signifigant other

I would gladly give up all the benefits/taxbreaks for the better good

why wont you.....step up to the plate

Old 04-05-2011, 06:01 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,110,059 times
We have gay weddings here, in Spain. At the beginning there was a big fuzz about it, but now everything is normalized and nobody cares.

The Catholic Church (some sectors) are against the use of the word "wedding", and they favour "Union". As to gay couples, not fundamentally different from traditional couples.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:25 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
We have gay weddings here, in Spain. At the beginning there was a big fuzz about it, but now everything is normalized and nobody cares.

The Catholic Church (some sectors) are against the use of the word "wedding", and they favour "Union". As to gay couples, not fundamentally different from traditional couples.
Does... not... compute.... world...outside....United States.... does not.... fit in.... to.... conservative.... paradigm and arguments... against.... gay marriage....... too much .... co-co-cognitive.... disonnance.....bzzz bzzz.... brain.... malfunctioning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies