Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 12:04 AM

555 posts, read 877,350 times

Advertisements

I am stuck in a small town where most of the doctors are foreign. The only ones that take Medicare here are foreign. I saw my third foreign doctor today. He didn't introduce himself. He left without saying anything. All three just up and leave without saying anything. No bedside manner whatsoever. They only spend about 10 minutes per visit with me. They don't really volunteer any information. One said he would do a digital prostate exam the next time I saw him, then refused to do it. A neighbor also sees him and he wouldn't give him one either.

There is a huge difference between American and foreign doctors. Don't get me wrong. They are very smart, but they are very poor communicators. My goal is to move to a large city where I can find an American doctor.

Maybe I should complain to the medical board and ask them to give foreign doctors some sensitivity training in how to treat patients. No, that would be discriminatory. They will have to give all doctors this training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 06:31 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodomonte View Post
I am stuck in a small town where most of the doctors are foreign. The only ones that take Medicare here are foreign. I saw my third foreign doctor today. He didn't introduce himself. He left without saying anything. All three just up and leave without saying anything. No bedside manner whatsoever. They only spend about 10 minutes per visit with me. They don't really volunteer any information. One said he would do a digital prostate exam the next time I saw him, then refused to do it. A neighbor also sees him and he wouldn't give him one either.

There is a huge difference between American and foreign doctors. Don't get me wrong. They are very smart, but they are very poor communicators. My goal is to move to a large city where I can find an American doctor.

Maybe I should complain to the medical board and ask them to give foreign doctors some sensitivity training in how to treat patients. No, that would be discriminatory. They will have to give all doctors this training.

1. Most foriegn trained physicians (with the exception of western europe and Canada) have inferior training compared to US doctors.

2. There is no difference between a "foriegn doctor" who trained in the US and an "American doctor" who trained in the US. (given the work ethic of many immigrants, some of those "foriegners" may actually be better).

3. "Foriegn doctors" who trained in the US are superior to "American doctors" who trained offshore.

4. DO training, compared to MD training, is inferior.

5. DOs who do residencies in good MD residencies are just fine. (I am a physician and chose a DO who did a MD residency as my PCP- he is very good).

It is a little tricky to navigate the waters. Just because somebody looks "foriegn", they may have great training. A guy I used to work with was Phillipine, but lived in the US since age 3. We went to Univ of Chicago undergrad, then Wash U in St. Louis (a very good training program) for everything. We thought it was funny when he got the "foriegn doctor" treatment, as he was and is a very, very good physician.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:49 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
1. Most foriegn trained physicians (with the exception of western europe and Canada) have inferior training compared to US doctors.

2. There is no difference between a "foriegn doctor" who trained in the US and an "American doctor" who trained in the US. (given the work ethic of many immigrants, some of those "foriegners" may actually be better).

3. "Foriegn doctors" who trained in the US are superior to "American doctors" who trained offshore.

4. DO training, compared to MD training, is inferior.

5. DOs who do residencies in good MD residencies are just fine. (I am a physician and chose a DO who did a MD residency as my PCP- he is very good).

It is a little tricky to navigate the waters. Just because somebody looks "foriegn", they may have great training. A guy I used to work with was Phillipine, but lived in the US since age 3. We went to Univ of Chicago undergrad, then Wash U in St. Louis (a very good training program) for everything. We thought it was funny when he got the "foriegn doctor" treatment, as he was and is a very, very good physician.
When comparing training, what quantitative measure did you use? From which published and peer reviewed source? Or is it purely subjective and anecdotal?

The fact that you're (or at least claim to be) an American doctor may bias your opinion somewhat

Old 10-20-2010, 06:52 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,685,819 times
Quote:

Doctors aren't there to have crumpets and tea with you, and shoot the breeze for an hour. If you don't like your doctor and you want one that will sit and visit, then find a different doctor. Of course, if you move to a big city, you're going to run into a lot more of dem dirty furriners.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:57 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
When comparing training, what quantitative measure did you use? From which published and peer reviewed source? Or is it purely subjective and anecdotal?

The fact that you're (or at least claim to be) an American doctor may bias your opinion somewhat
"(claim to be) an American doctor" I always find this funny. Believe me, it is not so special to me.

1. Performance on board exams
2. Incidence of medical malpractice suits (in addition to my practice, I do reviews for a major insurer)
3. Personal observations of the skills and performance of foriegn doctors in my specialty.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:21 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
"(claim to be) an American doctor" I always find this funny. Believe me, it is not so special to me.
You sure mention it often enough, which is why I use the term "claim to be" as a safe risk hedge.

Quote:
1. Performance on board exams
Look forward to that peer reviewed journal article.

Quote:
2. Incidence of medical malpractice suits (in addition to my practice, I do reviews for a major insurer)
See above.

Quote:
3. Personal observations of the skills and performance of foriegn doctors in my specialty.
Doesn't count, 'cause it would be anecdotal.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:28 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post

The irrational and false assertions about foreign Doctors have been thoroughly debunked quite a while ago in this forum. But, everyone has the freedom to rant about whatever idiotic thought they have.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:47 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,454,137 times
Quote:

I think this has less to do with their nationality and more to do with the fact that you're a medicare patient.

They won't admit it, but some doctors treat their medicare/medicaid patients differently than their patients with private insurance.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:51 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
Quote:

The American educational system only graduates McDonalds and WALMART employees. If we had a real educational system you might have a real doctor

Old 10-20-2010, 07:55 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:

10 minutes is rather generous at least here in Florida, no matter of their nationality. Usually we get 5 mins max.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies