Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 03:25 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,745,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Since Obama took office Democrats have increased taxes, increased health care costs and created new debt.

What's the difference?
Actually, taxes have decreased under Obama for a vast majority. I'm certainly paying a lot less in taxes as a middle class worker thanks to Obama. Taking away structural programs along with increasing taxes and health care and debt could create a lot of problems.

I'm overall supportive of the Republican proposal in most regards, but my only point is that we elect officials to represent different ideas. If this OP wants one ideology to rule the day, then that individual will need to move to a nation where a vast majority believe in that one ideology. We don't live in that nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 04:22 AM

4,262 posts, read 9,305,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Since Obama took office Democrats have increased taxes, increased health care costs and created new debt.

What's the difference?
I will give you the created new debt issue, but increased taxes and increased health care costs, sorry can't give you these two.

How do you figure the Democrats have increased taxes? We are paying exactly the same in taxes we have been since the Bush tax cuts were enacted. Increased health care costs? We will have increased health care costs every year, no matter which party is in office.

Fact of the matter is, no matter who had won the last election, they were facing an uphill battle, taking over probably the largest deficit our nation had ever seen, dealing with 2 wars, the housing problems and all the other myriad of problems.

I did not vote Obama into office, I saw an individual that did not have the experience beyond 18 months as a senator with a dismal voting record, someone who promised to bring our troops home, and was going to solve all the ills of America. I thought it all sounded to good to be true, usually if it does it is , but the majority of Americans were so desperate for change they did vote for him.

So when both sides start playing the blame game they need to remember we all played a hand in it.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:44 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,745,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I will give you the created new debt issue, but increased taxes and increased health care costs, sorry can't give you these two.

How do you figure the Democrats have increased taxes? We are paying exactly the same in taxes we have been since the Bush tax cuts were enacted. Increased health care costs? We will have increased health care costs every year, no matter which party is in office.

Fact of the matter is, no matter who had won the last election, they were facing an uphill battle, taking over probably the largest deficit our nation had ever seen, dealing with 2 wars, the housing problems and all the other myriad of problems.

I did not vote Obama into office, I saw an individual that did not have the experience beyond 18 months as a senator with a dismal voting record, someone who promised to bring our troops home, and was going to solve all the ills of America. I thought it all sounded to good to be true, usually if it does it is , but the majority of Americans were so desperate for change they did vote for him.

So when both sides start playing the blame game they need to remember we all played a hand in it.
I agree with your overall point, but in Obama's defense: he actually promised to end combat operations in Iraq (done), be "as careful getting out as we were careless getting into Iraq" (done), and increase our military presence in Afghanistan (done).

So, he's been quite accurate in following through with his campaign promises regarding military action. I think a lot of people simply weren't paying that close of attention and assumed he was a dove.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:01 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,163,081 times
Let's face it, no side is completely blameless in the deficit debacle. The stimulus programs worked in the short term, but the recovery has been slow, as most knew it would be. This pending government shutdown is a direct result of saber rattling on both sides. Who loses? America loses, and it's a shame.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:20 AM

4,262 posts, read 9,305,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I agree with your overall point, but in Obama's defense: he actually promised to end combat operations in Iraq (done), be "as careful getting out as we were careless getting into Iraq" (done), and increase our military presence in Afghanistan (done).

So, he's been quite accurate in following through with his campaign promises regarding military action. I think a lot of people simply weren't paying that close of attention and assumed he was a dove.

You are correct and I remember thinking at the time when everyone was saying "Obama is going to end the war and bring the troops home" that people weren't listening close enough to what he said and that in the end he would be blamed for failing to do what they thought they heard him say . I am not defending the man by any means he was not my choice for president then, he is not my choice for president now. My husband said when Obama was elected that he was damned before he ever took his oath of office, that no matter who had won this election they were going to have a rough road ahead of them.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:24 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,852,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
My husband said when Obama was elected that he was damned before he ever took his oath of office, that no matter who had won this election they were going to have a rough road ahead of them.
Which is true, the country was in absolute shambles and on a disastrous downward spiral when Obama came into office from the Bush admin. All sides have admitted it would take at least two terms for the country to fully stabilize.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:28 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,064,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog32 View Post
Lets Cut The CRAP,

It is clear to me that the Republicans are caving **financially** to the idealistic, and unrealistic, expectations of the Democrats.

I feel like whatever settlement is agreed upon, it will be insufficient for any **REAL change** for our long term economy.

I am really disgusted with the weakness of our Repub freshman, our Repub leader (Bone Head, sissy-cry-bay), and Repubs in general.

As weak as our POTUS is, we need just **1= 0--N--E--** person to step up and take a lead. The problem is that they are all timid. THEY ARE ALL COMFORMISTS.

CHEERS.
Where do you see this? As far as I can see, Boehner is holding strong against the do-nothing, status quo of obama and the dems.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:30 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,298,606 times
OP, what makes you think the republicans are caving? Unless i've been living in a cave, there is talks about shutting down the government, starving millions of americans,

Old 04-07-2011, 05:31 AM

Quote:
That's your opinion. Not necessarily true, which is why we have representatives from different ideologies working for
Oh for gods sake, the amount of savings is something like .25% of the debt.. If you dont think thats not enough.... well I'd get tosd for telling you

Old 04-07-2011, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Actually, taxes have decreased under Obama for a vast majority.
BULL CRAP.. All Obama did was change how they are collected. If he decreases tax A, and then increases tax B (example business taxes), this increases the price of goods and you pay them by increases costs..
Quote:
Perhaps you are new to politics, jaydog, but governance is ruled by compromise. The Democrats hold the Senate and Executive Office, Republicans only the House. Therefore, it is logical that final budget would reflect a balance of their values.

Democrats want to cut $33 billion. Republicans want to cut over $60 billion. There's room for compromise in between.
I'll conceed, we can cut $59,999,999,999.. To think either number is acceptable is laughable.. We **** that away on a few airplanes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies