Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2011, 09:53 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,299,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
More crap from the peanut gallery. Has anyone been reading the OP's posts, or is this just going to turn into another Christian bashing thread where you all just put words in everyone's mouths and spin it all to fit your own negative agenda?
Religious views deserve to be bashed if they are introduced into a political, scientific or rational discussion. They have no place there. They are completely antithetical to the discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 09:53 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,053,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I never said anything about that, did I?

No contempt for anyone coming from me. That's how you choose to see it. You would see no good fruits from anyone on a random Internet discussion board about politics.
No contempt...what do you call saying "more crap from the peanut gallery"?

Certainly no good fruit there.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:00 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,203,678 times
The original intent of this thread was to address the maltreatment of homosexuals in other countries, who clearly are discriminated against in some countries and cultures. Getting back to that, I doubt if any of us on CD will live long enough to see any change in attitudes of the people whose culture and/or religion has, for centuries, been strongly homophobic. Those attitudes are ingrained in the culture. Muslims have a cultural hatred, not only of homosexuals, but also of Jews, which has grown exponentially since the creation of the country of Israel post WWII. As I see it, "hatred" is a sad part and parcel of the human condition. It has always been with us and always will be, until humans evolve to a higher state of mind. Nevertheless, this does not mean positive actions to aid victims of unjust treatment should be abandoned no matter what the ill treatment is based on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Just Straight.
That would make ALL straight people who have a personal aversion to engaging in homosexual behavior "homophobes". We really need to expand the vocabulary and create some new words that more accurately describe people's attitudes.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:36 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,458,744 times
It would be nice if we could continue this discussion without personal insult.

Anything that starts with "You…" and talks about a general negative aspect of a person is a personal insult.

I didn't quote who said what cause it doesn't matter. People on both sides of the argument are insulting each other personally and it gets us nowhere.

Here are just some examples (I didn't copy-paste every instance so please excuse me if I missed an insult directed at you):

Quote:
much less someone I have no respect for

the fact that you seem to be completely unaware of your prejudices ...
certainly causes me to question how you passed the Ethics part of your studies

You would see no good fruits from anyone

Perhaps you would be better suited to a different career path. Not sure what though.

Your post proves just exactly what kind of human you are

I see no good fruits from you

I really have nothing else to say to you since you can't be a respectful human being
Can we please stick to the topic at hand? Attack ideas if you must, but please don't attack posters. Making general statements about a person's humanity is not really appropriate either, since one opinion does not make up a whole person.

I realize there are some opinions that in and of themselves are very offensive to other posters, and therefore insulting, such as not seeing gay relationships as valid or thinking the Bible is just a fairy-tale. It's important to remember these ARE opinions. Your opinion might be just as offensive to someone else as theirs is to you. It's important not to try to take these personally, even though it feels like a personal attack. If it's not phrased personally ("you…"), try not to take it that way. The person is stating their opinion, as offensive as it may be.

Thanks.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:44 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,373,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
orientation definition

a person's basic attitudes or beliefs in relation to a particular subject or issue

A persons attitude or belief is taught ... just like Iranians are taught to hate Westerners. Now, homosexuals are trying to teach American kids that being gay is good and acceptable...

My definition of "sexual orientation" was taken from an online medical dictionary. I'll take that over the definition of just plain ol' "orientation", thanks.

Unless you're now of the position that when two words are used in tandem as a phrase it is impossible for the definition to vary from the individual definition of each word?

So, you're saying you, yourself, could be taught to be gay?

Should kids be taught that homosexuality is "good"? No more good than being left-handed, red-haired or blue-eyed.

Should kids be taught that homosexuality is "acceptable"? Absolutely. Judge someone on how they treat others, not on who they are or aren't attracted to.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:14 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post

Millions of scientists said that global warming was caused by basically Republicans and that the world would end soon if we didn't stop driving.

Millions of scientists later admitted that they were wrong or lied.
Um, this actually never happened. Consensus is still on climate change, even if some data points were wrong.

But some conservatives tend to do that - make things up to suit their arguments.

However "liberal" universities may be, I'll certainly believe them and their rigorous process of research and peer review over your "feelings."

What's been all too funny about this thread is Andrea insisting on the first page that she does not hate the gays, just disagrees with them, but then pretty much going on to show that she does indeed fear/hate them. Oh, the laughs.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Religious views deserve to be bashed if they are introduced into a political, scientific or rational discussion. They have no place there. They are completely antithetical to the discussion.
It's never appropriate to bash views.

Sometimes religion is the reason behind someone's political view.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:00 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,299,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
It's never appropriate to bash views.

Sometimes religion is the reason behind someone's political view.
Perhaps 'bash' is the wrong word.

However, if someone is going to introduce their religious viewpoint into a political or scientific discussion, they should fully expect that viewpoint to be subjected to scrutiny.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:09 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,917,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
The original intent of this thread was to address the maltreatment of homosexuals in other countries, who clearly are discriminated against in some countries and cultures. Getting back to that, I doubt if any of us on CD will live long enough to see any change in attitudes of the people whose culture and/or religion has, for centuries, been strongly homophobic. Those attitudes are ingrained in the culture. Muslims have a cultural hatred, not only of homosexuals, but also of Jews, which has grown exponentially since the creation of the country of Israel post WWII. As I see it, "hatred" is a sad part and parcel of the human condition. It has always been with us and always will be, until humans evolve to a higher state of mind. Nevertheless, this does not mean positive actions to aid victims of unjust treatment should be abandoned no matter what the ill treatment is based on.

That would make ALL straight people who have a personal aversion to engaging in homosexual behavior "homophobes". We really need to expand the vocabulary and create some new words that more accurately describe people's attitudes.
not so...
homosexuals themselves can display homophobia.. they are scared of who they are and deny it and live out their lives in secrecy.
To say it's straight vs. gays on this issue is totally false
I would say MOST homophobes are Homosexual or at the very least bi-sexual
People that hold to these assumptions that sexuality is a choice makes one wonder if they indeed do think they have chosen their sexuality because their true sexuality is more fluid than they care to admit. Hence the homophobic hardlining against actual scientific studies. They do indeed believe they know better because they have in their own minds CHOSEN their sexuality.. or so they think or tell themselves
Just because someone has a spouse and kids on the outside doesn't mean they aren't biologically responding to the eye candy around them..
things are not always as they seem in this life...

Old 04-11-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Perhaps 'bash' is the wrong word.

However, if someone is going to introduce their religious viewpoint into a political or scientific discussion, they should fully expect that viewpoint to be subjected to scrutiny.
That's definitely a more reasonable statement. I can agree with that. Pretty much anything you post on CD gets scrutinized half to death. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies