Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 12:28 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times

Advertisements

Wait until the Chinese start setting up low-wage factories in America - then the rhetoric will change.

Chinese manufacturers are already moving into Mexico - Foxconn (Taiwan) is in Juarez. Foxconn has a record of employee mistreatment and have installed suicide-prevention netting in some Asian plants.

"Three months ago we covered a riot at one of the Foxconn factories in Juarez. It happened after workers said managers locked 3-thousand employees in the factory so they would work extra hours.
Juarez employees are treated as expendable and forced to work long hours and put in a lot of overtime. He says nothing illegal is being done by the company, but he says the company knows how bad Mexican employees need their jobs. "

Foxconn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Juarez Factory Employee Alleges Mistreatment | KTSM News Channel 9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 12:29 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

I posted earlier in this thread..Sweden has a very high cost of living.
A $38 pair of jeans here costs $125 over there.
That's a crock of crap.

levi's Mäns Raka 569 Indie Blå Jeans - Vårt pris: - US$ 55,50
(http://www.koplevis.com/koniska-levis-M%C3%A4ns-Raka-569-Indie-Bl%C3%A5-Jeans-k%C3%B6p-billiga-levis--23a9d3c90.html?c=cate - broken link)

levi's Pojkar Boot Cut 527 Rostiga Styv Jeans - VÃ¥rt pris: - US$ 32,72 (http://www.koplevis.com/levis-pojkar-boot-cut-527-rostiga-styv-jeans.html - broken link)

levi's Mäns Boot Cut 517 Passform Mörka Stonewash Jeans - Vårt pris: - US$ 38,42 (http://www.koplevis.com/levis-mans-boot-cut-517-passform-morka-stonewash-jeans.html - broken link)

snygga blåjeans, 116 - 105 kr (US$ 16.87) (http://www.shopmania.se/shopping%7Eonline-barnklader%7Ekopa-snygga-blajeans-116%7Ep-1118314.html - broken link)

Not that you'll know what a liar I've exposed you as unless someone quotes this post, since you cowardly put me on Ignore.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:31 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Most people would be ok with higher prices, as long as they make more money. It's when your wages don't increase that it sucks
There is very little control over your wages when you work for others.

You can works extra hours or, get an additional job.

Then it will come down to spending less.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Wait until the Chinese start setting up low-wage factories in America - then the rhetoric will change.
But first our government has to destroy the labor laws that are in place.

Notice it has started with some state governors trying to change the child labor laws ?

Old 04-10-2011, 12:33 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
I'd rather live in Sweden or Germany and pay a high a lot for goods and taxes than live in Burma or Pakistan and be able to buy a car for $4,000.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:34 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
There is very little control over your wages when you work for others.
If that is true, than Governor Walker and all the other anti union conservatives are liars when they say unions are bankrupting America.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:34 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
That's a crock of crap.

levi's Mäns Raka 569 Indie Blå Jeans - Vårt pris: - US$ 55,50
(http://www.koplevis.com/koniska-levis-M%C3%A4ns-Raka-569-Indie-Bl%C3%A5-Jeans-k%C3%B6p-billiga-levis--23a9d3c90.html?c=cate - broken link)

levi's Pojkar Boot Cut 527 Rostiga Styv Jeans - VÃ¥rt pris: - US$ 32,72 (http://www.koplevis.com/levis-pojkar-boot-cut-527-rostiga-styv-jeans.html - broken link)

levi's Mäns Boot Cut 517 Passform Mörka Stonewash Jeans - Vårt pris: - US$ 38,42 (http://www.koplevis.com/levis-mans-boot-cut-517-passform-morka-stonewash-jeans.html - broken link)

snygga blåjeans, 116 - 105 kr (US$ 16.87) (http://www.shopmania.se/shopping%7Eonline-barnklader%7Ekopa-snygga-blajeans-116%7Ep-1118314.html - broken link)

Not that you'll know what a liar I've exposed you as unless someone quotes this post, since you cowardly put me on Ignore.
"His remark was not intended to be a factual statement, but rather to illustrate that..." - official statement from Senator Kyl's office

Old 04-10-2011, 12:37 PM

442 posts, read 553,035 times
Quote:
Well no one is stopping you from writing a check to the USG and mailing it in. I'm sure Uncle Sam won't refuse your money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
What is stopping you from doing so now? Why not pay it forward and pick up the tab for the person in line behind you? How much extra have you sent the IRS?
I think all taxes should be much MUCH higher in the U.S. for corporations, who don't pay any. I also think our tax money should be spent on investing in PEOPLE who need it. I also don't mind paying extra taxes so everyone can have health care and higher education.

I have picked up the tab for people in line when I can afford it, and there really isn't anything "bad" you can say against me for wanting to share what I have with other people. It just makes you look selfish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I don't spend all of my money.

Still, what you want would lead to further inflation.
No, it would lead to a better society. That benefits EVERYONE.

Quote:
If you left leaning hate "the corporation" so much why not pool your money into "the collective" and form your own businesses and let your workers unionize and pay them livable wages.

Nothing is stopping the libs from using their money to form Utopia.
Why complain about working for the man when you can become the man yourself ?
People do that on a regular basis. This is a moot point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post

Chinese manufacturers are already moving into Mexico - Foxconn (Taiwan) is in Juarez. Foxconn has a record of employee mistreatment and have installed suicide-prevention netting in some Asian plants.

"Three months ago we covered a riot at one of the Foxconn factories in Juarez. It happened after workers said managers locked 3-thousand employees in the factory so they would work extra hours.
Juarez employees are treated as expendable and forced to work long hours and put in a lot of overtime. He says nothing illegal is being done by the company, but he says the company knows how bad Mexican employees need their jobs. "

Foxconn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Juarez Factory Employee Alleges Mistreatment | KTSM News Channel 9

^^^^ EXACTLY.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
If that is true, than Governor Walker and all the other anti union conservatives are liars when they say unions are bankrupting America.
I think that makes sense.

Many of these contracts and pension arrangements where signed years ago.

The population got older and the economy changed.

Not good for either side.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Metal View Post
I think all taxes should be much MUCH higher in the U.S. for corporations, who don't pay any. I also think our tax money should be spent on investing in PEOPLE who need it. I also don't mind paying extra taxes so everyone can have health care and higher education.

I have picked up the tab for people in line when I can afford it, and there really isn't anything "bad" you can say against me for wanting to share what I have with other people. It just makes you look selfish.

No, it would lead to a better society. That benefits EVERYONE.

People do that on a regular basis. This is a moot point.

^^^^ EXACTLY.
Your dollar being worth less is good???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies