Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 01:47 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times

Advertisements

Go to the Atles Shrugged web site---google it. I just signed up for their newsletters and watched the trailers. Looks like a really good movie. I may see it tomorrow, it's shown in my city, YEA.

Liberal critics will hate it of course. Who cares, let me make up my own mind---thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 02:04 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Then we do disagree. Novels, particularly those leaning on lots of dialogue for exposition, tend to make horrible movie scripts - different art forms have different requirements. And I do think you're the first person I've ever heard describing Rand's writing in AS as subtle.
Some of us are intelligent enough to follow a movie with lots of complicated dialogue. And I don't describe her writing as subtle, I describe the interaction between the characters and some of the dialogue as having some subtleties that could easily be missed if the screenwriter glossed over them without much thought.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:08 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salem baptist View Post
That's funny because Godfather II was the most boring overrated piece of garbage I've ever seen.

Don't ever listen to critics. They have no idea what they are talking about because anybody can be a critic.
Well most people I know---both liberals, conservatives, moderates, and libertarians would all agree that Godfather 2 is a great work of cinematic art. Even if one disliked the film, it's hard not to see that some films are simply higher quality as far as acting, editing, screenplay and so on.

But I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. Maybe you were thinking of Godfather III.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:03 PM

Angelina Jolie was slated to be in this movie but guess decided against it. It's funny our local show times have her in the movie back in '07 when it was planned. All the other actors are probably wrong as well. They didn't update the promo. Why do people say there is no studio control over actors now---I can see it when they want to play any conservative roles. Careers have been ruined for not doing the PC thing in Hollywood. The flip side of Mc Carthyism.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:35 PM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Some of us are intelligent enough to follow a movie with lots of complicated dialogue.
Defensive much? Film is a visual medium. Novels aren't. It's not a question of audience intelligence, it's a matter of leveraging the strengths of the medium to convey the message. Filmmakers, more so than novelists, have to show us rather than tell us. If they want to make a good movie, that is.

In my opinion - and I happily concede it's just an opinion - Rand struggled to show-rather-than-tell in her writing. (Galt's multi-page speech rather demonstrates this. I mean, come on: A speech? ) It's a shortcoming that can be overcome in prose, but it can be disastrous in film.

Quote:
And I don't describe her writing as subtle, I describe the interaction between the characters and some of the dialogue as having some subtleties that could easily be missed if the screenwriter glossed over them without much thought.
That's fair enough, and certainly has plagued book adaptations in the past. A good movie adaptation takes a screenwriter that can look at the novel, see what works and what doesn't work on the screen, and then cut mercilessly. Sometimes a crucial plot point gets cut. Sometimes it's what turns out to be a hugely popular subplot.

I do get a vibe of a production that approaches Rand's works with too much reverence, and that rarely works. They're sure to please the hard-core fans. I have my doubts about the wider audience.

Then again, I'm not a fan of the book, either.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 04-16-2011 at 03:52 PM..

Old 04-16-2011, 03:42 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,082 times
The one good thing about a movie of Atlas Shrugged is that the movie is forced to distill its philosophy down to a manageable size. To be nice, Ayn Rand was wordy and not very subtle. She could have reduced this book down about half, maybe 75%, while keeping the plot intact and the story would have had more impact. The quality of the movie depends on the director's grasp of Rand and his skill in presenting her philosophy.

It seems like the director wasn't very skilled.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salem baptist View Post
That's funny because Godfather II was the most boring overrated piece of garbage I've ever seen.
<shrug> No accounting for taste, of course, but are we really at the point where we have to insist that all movies are of equal quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Why do people say there is no studio control over actors now---I can see it when they want to play any conservative roles. Careers have been ruined for not doing the PC thing in Hollywood. The flip side of Mc Carthyism.
Yeah, people would have stopped hiring Angelina Jolie over this. Totally.

They had 10 million to make this entire thing. That's not an Angelina Jolie sort of budget. And they had to make it now, or lose the rights. That's an unsound motivation.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:53 PM

Default Friday night box office is in.

Not surprisingly, a decent per-theatre take: $683,000 in 300 theatres, for $2,277 per theatre. Compare to Rio ($2,666) and Scream 4 ($2,421). It'll be interesting to see the weekend figures.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:

Yeah, people would have stopped hiring Angelina Jolie over this. Totally.

They had 10 million to make this entire thing. That's not an Angelina Jolie sort of budget. And they had to make it now, or lose the rights. That's an unsound motivation.
Most conservative movies in Hollywood can't get the money backing so you proved my point. Studio control to be liberal or it can't be made with any big money.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Not surprisingly, a decent per-theatre take: $683,000 in 300 theatres, for $2,277 per theatre. Compare to Rio ($2,666) and Scream 4 ($2,421). It'll be interesting to see the weekend figures.
I don't know what the box office will prove. Most movies that make the big bucks are those who attrack teen boys with the shoot-em-up and loud noises plus car chases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies