Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 06:18 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,785,206 times

Advertisements

I'm surprise no one's really mentioned why the Air Traffic Controller fell asleep while on the job.

It's an extremely touchy subject because the reason some air traffic controllers or for that sake, any worker "falls asleep" on a job really has nothing to do with work schedules.

It has to do with sleep apnea.

No one in Congress or any public official wants to comment on this because they are fearful that any workers fired for "sleeping on the job" will immediately claim that they were fired in violation of the American with Disability Act.

While I believe the ADA has been very helpful for millions of Americans, that law has seen so many unintended lawsuits, especially against small business owners that public officials don't want to comment on it.

What we have now, is government will waste even more money by having 2 air traffic controllers in the middle of the night when only one is needed. What happens if both those air traffic controllers have sleep apnea? Than you got 2 sleeping workers.

Look I am medical professional. I've seen so many people literally fall asleep daytime, nighttime, etc. 95% of the time, it's most likely due to sleep apnea. And yes the majority of sleep apnea patients are overweight althlough there a smaller minority who have anatomy that causes them to have sleep apnea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 07:22 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,517,299 times
I have sleep apnea and likely had it for a couple years and did not know it. I just thought I was tired or did not get enough sleep which I'm sure is the same with alot of those with it. And its really bad because you can "drop off' so quickly awaken 5 minutes later your head full of cobwebs and you are wondering what the heck happened. It still is not getting the publicity it should leaving alot of sleep apnea untreated flying, driving, operating heavy equipment ect. Plus treatment options for low or no income uninsured leaves many suffering with it. Here in N.C. a 2 night sleep test cost approx. $4,000.+/- on the other hand I can go to Vermont and they have a program where you can take the same 2 night sleep test and it cost - 0, zip and NADA! People with sleep apnea may fear for their job, insurance Co.'s well likely worry about law suits and Gov't likely worries about cost/abuse of any program they might come up with. sleep apnea =

Old 04-15-2011, 07:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
I have been affected by Sleep Apnea for over a decade. The major symptoms are overweight and a complete inability to remain conscious at meetings. I sit down in a conference room and I am hallucinating (waking dream) within seconds. Dream depravation is a major part of the disease. Fortunately I do not have to attend meetings very often.

I could never take a position that required full attention such as a commercial pilot or ATC. I probably could not even stand 4 hr boiler room watches as I did in the Navy so very long ago.

I believe Sleep Apnea is a disabling disease that warrants the protection of the Disabilities Act.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:44 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
I'm surprise no one's really mentioned why the Air Traffic Controller fell asleep while on the job.

It's an extremely touchy subject because the reason some air traffic controllers or for that sake, any worker "falls asleep" on a job really has nothing to do with work schedules.

No one in Congress or any public official wants to comment on this because they are fearful that any workers fired for "sleeping on the job" will immediately claim that they were fired in violation of the American with Disability Act.

While I believe the ADA has been very helpful for millions of Americans, that law has seen so many unintended lawsuits, especially against small business owners that public officials don't want to comment on it.

What we have now, is government will waste even more money by having 2 air traffic controllers in the middle of the night when only one is needed. What happens if both those air traffic controllers have sleep apnea? Than you got 2 sleeping workers.

Look I am medical professional. I've seen so many people literally fall asleep daytime, nighttime, etc. 95% of the time, it's most likely due to sleep apnea. And yes the majority of sleep apnea patients are overweight althlough there a smaller minority who have anatomy that causes them to have sleep apnea.
that's an interesting theory.

rather than firing them, why couldn't those afflicted with sleep apnea be reassigned to a position where falling asleep on the job wouldn't put hundreds of lives in danger?

Old 04-16-2011, 04:25 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,326,750 times
I've taken naps every day of my life since I was 21.

Everything I needed to know as an adult, I learned in kindergarten.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
I'm not so sure it's sleep apnea. There is a lot of research on shift work, much of it done on nurses, who also have to work night shift and be alert. It's hard. Some people (me) just aren't cut out for it. Some people can easily sleep from 8AM to 4 PM, and some can't.

Shift Work and Sleep | National Sleep Foundation - Information on Sleep Health and Safety

Note this:

Here are some tips for staying alert on the job:

Take short nap breaks throughout the shift.

It (napping) can be extremely effective at eliminating fatigue-related accidents and injuries and reducing workers compensation costs. Although most employers do not allow napping in the workplace, a ban on napping may soon prove to be a legal liability.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:36 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
Quote:

Interesting. You start a whole thread, and yet not a single piece of evidence to be found.

Some questions immediately jump to mind:

How many of the sleeping controllers have sleep apnea?

How many of the air traffic controllers in the system as a whole have sleep apnea?

How many of them have requested a reasonable accommodation for their disability?

How many of them have threatened to sue someone if they are fired for sleeping on the job? What has happened in those suits that have been filed?

If you're interested in facts, you should know that the ADA will not force an employer to employ someone who is not able, with a reasonable accommodation, to perform the essential functions of the job.

For an air traffic controller, or just about any other worker, the essential functions of the job include staying awake during working hours. No court will order an employer to keep an employee, particularly one whose job is vital to public safety, if that employee can't stay awake when they're supposed to be working.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:40 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
You are a medical professional and you don't know the difference between sleep apnea (the cessation of breathing during sleep) and narcolepsy (a disorder that brings on rapid onset of the REM state during sleep?!?

Old 04-16-2011, 04:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You are a medical professional and you don't know the difference between sleep apnea (the cessation of breathing during sleep) and narcolepsy (a disorder that brings on rapid onset of the REM state during sleep?!?
Well ovacatto..you just brought this thread to a screeching halt

Old 04-16-2011, 04:59 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,194,098 times
Quote:
any worker "falls asleep" on a job really has nothing to do with work schedules.
Really? So if I gave you a work schedule that was 23 hours on 1 hour off 7 days a week you would never fall asleep on the job? There are reasons why there is mandated time off for people like pilots and truck drivers. It's so they won't fall asleep during their duties.

Should this be happening a lot, then there's a clear problem. ATC's do work overnight shifts. Sorry, but making a concrete statement that this is sleep apnea with no data behind it is just silly. By the way, medical professional means a lot of things. Unless you're an actual MD you can't really diagnose sleep apnea.

There are lots of things that qualify someone as a medical professional. That doesn't make you an expert on the schedules of ATC's or a sleep doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies