Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 12:31 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times

Advertisements

I'm just pointing out all the brainwashed gays who are out there who can't decide if they want to be a fundamentalist old-fashioned uptight conservative or a party animal drunkard drug addict sex addict: that's the real world paradigm for some people: it's a sickening world. There is no middle ground with anyone. I'm just saying what I've seen. It's pitiful. And I can see why gays get a bad reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
What happened to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 12:32 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
The article focused on gay teen suicide rates being higher in conservative areas.
Bingo!

Old 04-19-2011, 12:41 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
When a city is socially conservative, it puts pressure on people to act a certain way. There's less room for individual expression. This is especially hard on teenagers, so it's no surprise to find out that suicide rates among teens are higher in conservative areas.

What leads gay, straight teens to attempt suicide? - Health - Mental health - msnbc.com
Who are all of those "social conservatives" jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge?

Old 04-19-2011, 12:55 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
I can see some truth to this matter. In my opinion only the more conservative the town you live in, the less understanding you will get, people living in that immediate area. Usually quite religious, have their own views on certain subject matters, and you will not change them one iota.

Usually the schools that do not show support for gay students, does have a percentage of attempted suicides, not only that, some children or teenagers are bullied, and feel they have no place to go. The teens and children who are depressed, with no where to turn, will attempt or succeed at suicide. Some very conservative religious areas, are hard for teens to live in, when you have no place to go and no one to turn to, what do you do where do you go. You get depressed, and therfore, feeling you are alone, you attemt suicide. I do see some truth in this, i may be wrong, but this is only my thought.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:31 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Norway, the UK, Spain, the Netherlands, Italy, Portugal, and Greece...all had lower suicide rates than the US.

Not to mention that Sweden was .2 people suicides higher than the US (20 vs. 19.8).

Finland, Austria, France, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Japan, Poland, Denmark, Germany, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Sweden, plus many other homophobic European nations are driving people (gay and strait) to suicide. (see study linking heterosexual suicide rate to gay intolerance)

I guess the heavy fines in Canada, arrests in the UK and incarceration in Sweden are not enough to protect gays (and straights) from open criticism of homosexuality.

Guess we'll have to up the ante.

"I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me. It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane."

Last edited by momonkey; 04-19-2011 at 01:40 AM..

Old 04-19-2011, 01:41 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Maybe the homosexuals on the board will chime in......but from my perspective....a teen who is gay probably doesn't know that they're gay and will pursue a gay lifestyle until about 13 years old. Maybe even older than that. By my math, that's 5 years (max) of whatever persecution they perceive to be receiving. Why on earth would a person so young choose to kill themselves when in a few short years they can fly the coop?

Weak minded is the only thing that seems to make sense to me. Maybe homosexuals are genetically inclined to be weak-minded. Someone should study this.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:44 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Russia is liberal, Sri Lanka is liberal, Kazakhstan is liberal?

I'd hate to see what you consider conservative.

Didn't notice these?

Finland, Austria, France, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Japan, Poland, Denmark, Germany, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Sweden...

Old 04-19-2011, 01:44 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Maybe the homosexuals on the board will chime in......but from my perspective....a teen who is gay probably doesn't know that they're gay and will pursue a gay lifestyle until about 13 years old.
You have to be 13 to be considered a teen, your post doesn't make a whole lof of sense, but what else is new.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:46 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
You have to be 13 to be considered a teen, your post doesn't make a whole lof of sense, but what else is new.
Speaking of not making sense........

Apparently you're not of the opinion that a person can determine themselves gay after the age of 13.

LOL

Old 04-19-2011, 01:47 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Didn't notice these?

Finland, Austria, France, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Japan, Poland, Denmark, Germany, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Sweden...
I didn't bother to read all the way down to #29.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies