Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 06:38 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times

Advertisements

I'll start.

Our NSF grant is directly related to how much deficit cutting the government does. In fact, my continued employment while I'm finishing my graduate degree is in jeopardy if the government cuts our grant renewal. While I'm sure our particular program will not be cut given the educational benefits serious games offer, I'm also ambivalent to the situation. I'm nearly done my doctoral program, so maybe it's a little easier than how others earlier in their program are going to adjust. I'm highly marketable in my particular job field since there's a huge barrier to entry, but I feel I should wait until I successfully defend before I work off-campus in any capacity (to preserve my sanity)

How do you think deep spending cuts affect you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 06:44 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,825 times
Well, thank God I finished graduate school already. I hate it when my degree is threatened by funding. Just hurry up and defend your thesis.

If Medicare reimbursement is cut I might be affected in a few years. But I am sure I'll survive. I also might not be able to get a research grant if I choose to work in academia - but there are always other sources of funding. Other than that... not much.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Well, thank God I finished graduate school already. I hate it when my degree is threatened by funding. Just hurry up and defend your thesis.

If Medicare reimbursement is cut I might be affected in a few years. But I am sure I'll survive. I also might not be able to get a research grant if I choose to work in academia - but there are always other sources of funding. Other than that... not much.
My advisor's research scientist on staff has warned me that I must formally present my dissertation topic to my committee by the end of summer or there will be...consequences.

Game development companies will pick up the slack. They already fund a good portion of our non-NSF grants.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:06 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
I work in healthcare with mostly medical fragile pediatric medicaid cases. It will mean less money, fewer cases, and the need to reinvent myself. Can't rely on Medicare after Obamacare cuts to homecare.

Sports medicine here I come?

Old 04-18-2011, 08:31 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I'll start.

Our NSF grant is directly related to how much deficit cutting the government does. In fact, my continued employment while I'm finishing my graduate degree is in jeopardy if the government cuts our grant renewal. While I'm sure our particular program will not be cut given the educational benefits serious games offer, I'm also ambivalent to the situation. I'm nearly done my doctoral program, so maybe it's a little easier than how others earlier in their program are going to adjust. I'm highly marketable in my particular job field since there's a huge barrier to entry, but I feel I should wait until I successfully defend before I work off-campus in any capacity (to preserve my sanity)

No effect at all. Because there will be no government spending cuts.

Our federal politicians don't have the balls to enact true cuts of any size whatsoever.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:33 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,482,659 times
It will effect our children. More jobs. Less debt for kids to have to pay once they grow up.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No effect at all. Because there will be no government spending cuts.

Our federal politicians don't have the balls to enact true cuts of any size whatsoever.
I disagree, I think the spending cuts will come abruptly and without warning, but just not now. Bodes well for my grant and graduating without having to sell more of my gold to pay living expenses.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:30 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,176,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I'll start.

What deep spending cut are you referring? The 38 billions in a almost 2 trillions yearly budget?

Old 04-19-2011, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
What deep spending cut are you referring? The 38 billions in a almost 2 trillions yearly budget?
It depends on where that 38 billions comes from. I would be rather disappointed if NSF funding is cut but social welfare programs for the poor remain. I would rather ween ourselves off of either, but we're at a crossroads I suppose.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:56 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
About 30% of my contracts come though HUD funds.

Of those, some will still find funds and some not.

I know where people are living without water now so, I guess there will be more of them

I am all for the cuts.

And I do think it will happen.

Even if it takes two more years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies