Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:17 AM

111 posts, read 91,705 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind the FY2011 budget looks like this:

Social security, defense, unemployment, welfare, medicare and medicade make up 75% of the U.S. debt. Remove defense and you have most (56%) of Federal $ going to social security, unemployment, welfare, medicare and medicade.

So what do you want to cut?

Health and Human Service (2.2% of spending)- this money funds a huge portion of medical research and ensures that drugs are safe and effective

Transportation (2.05%)- because we don't really need roads anyway.

Dept. of Veterans Affairs (1.5%)- a nice "F-you" to those who served

Dept. of State (1.5%)- basically our relations with the rest of the world

Education (1.32%)- go ahead, cut this... the Chinese and the Indians will thank you in a few decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 09:21 AM

111 posts, read 91,705 times
Also, even if we got rid of the armed forces, we'd still be roughly $750 in the red.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:31 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,595,619 times
More people taking out of the system than people putting into the system.

The clock is ticking folks.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:37 AM

13,703 posts, read 9,034,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
More people taking out of the system than people putting into the system.

The clock is ticking folks.
Also include the many 'disabled' (my back hurts!) who plague this board. Pay in a little, take out a lot.

$115 billion last year paid out in Federal disability benefits. $75 billion more for associated Medicare payments.

(I am not talking, of course, about those with truly debilitating diseases, who spend their days in nursing homes, etc. I am talking about those like my brother-in-law, who says he is too sick to hold a job, but by god can sit at a computer all day and rant about the 'liberals' ).

Old 04-21-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Also include the many 'disabled' (my back hurts!) who plague this board. Pay in a little, take out a lot.

$115 billion last year paid out in Federal disability benefits. $75 billion more for associated Medicare payments.

(I am not talking, of course, about those with truly debilitating diseases, who spend their days in nursing homes, etc. I am talking about those like my brother-in-law, who says he is too sick to hold a job, but by god can sit at a computer all day and rant about the 'liberals' ).
I got a cousin on disability as well..bad back. But not bad enough to go play golf 3-4 times a week. My cousin learned to play the system well early in life. He got his and the people of NYC are paying for it and have been for some number of years.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:44 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,959,274 times
When you have borrow the money and the amounts are unsustainable then you do waht you have to do. Can't live on the chinese credit card for ever. With all the jobs created and new infrastructure everyone should be fine.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
When you have borrow the money and the amounts are unsustainable then you do waht you have to do. Can't live on the chinese credit card for ever. With all the jobs created and new infrastructure everyone should be fine.
We're beyond the Chinese credit card. We got the Fed printing up money in the basement to keep us afloat.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:45 AM

38,065 posts, read 22,219,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I agree with the majority of the American people.

My solutions?

Cut the federal workforce by a third and consolidate all redudancy. Cut military spending in half. End military operations in Iraq & Afghanistan and send all of those troops to the US/Mexico border that they would patrol as strictly as a prison wall. Cut federal subsidies to billion dollar companies and invest that money into small businesses and vocational training.

Lastly, adopt strict a pay-as-you-go spending policy. No new bonds. Period.

Idealistic and unrealistic-I know. But that's what I would do.
Probably.

We could rewind the federal budget to pre-0bama levels, that would knock off about 20% of current federal spending.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:46 AM

38,065 posts, read 22,219,705 times
Quote:
We're beyond the Chinese credit card. We got the Fed printing up money in the basement to keep us afloat.
Are you sure they are not doing that to sink us?

Old 04-21-2011, 09:51 AM

13,703 posts, read 9,034,620 times
Quote:
I got a cousin on disability as well..bad back. But not bad enough to go play golf 3-4 times a week. My cousin learned to play the system well early in life. He got his and the people of NYC are paying for it and have been for some number of years.

We once had a case that involved a gentleman who hurt his back while working at the GM plant in Arlington, Texas. His job consisted of driving the cars just off the assembly line to the back of the facility, and then head back to get another car (in a golf cart driven by yet another employee).

Anyway, as a condition for receiving the private long-term disability payments (from GM) the gentleman was required to file for a disability insurance benefits under Title II of the Social Security Act, and to appeal to the hearing level, if needed. He needed.

Well! His hearing date in front of an Administrative Law Judge arrived. The gentleman appeared and literally could not conceal his impatience. The gentleman explained that he was due to play golf that morning, and asked the judge to hurry it up, that he did not care what the judge decided, just so long as he made the hearing quick.

The judge, of course, found him 'not disabled' (the medical showed little in the way of back problems). The GM employee did not care because he had fulfilled his obligation to seek DIB; the fact that he was turned down did not matter one whit (if by some miracle he was approved, then there would have been an offset, lessening the amount payable by the private insurance carrier).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies