Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2011, 10:04 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,166 times

Advertisements

"In the yet-to-be-released School Shooter: North American Tour 2012, players can reenact school shooting tragedies at Columbine, Virginia Tech and Northern Illinois University, among other locations. The goal? "Become the best school shooter, ever," according to the developer's website."

"To make the game even more realistic, players can choose to arm themselves with the same weapons used by real-life killers, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, who murdered 12 students and one teacher at Columbine High School in 1999, or Seung-Hui Cho, who killed 32 people at Virginia Tech in 2007. At the end of each level, the player has the option to commit suicide before being captured by law enforcement officials. The developers promise, "[It will be] the most realistic student slaughtering modification (game) ever made."

'School Shooter' Video Game to Reenact Columbine, Virginia Tech Killings - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20110421/us_time/httpnewsfeedtimecom20110420schoolshootervideogamer eenactscolumbinevirginiatechkillingsxidrssfullnati onyahoo - broken link)

I'm not a big advocate of censorship but when it comes to children - and this, I don't care what the rating says - is targeting kids - might be an exception.

What is going on here?

At minimum, I think this would be a good company to Boycott. There is a lot out there to be upset about, but this takes the cake and would definitely be deserving of outrage and a huge organized Boycott. Where is it?

I mean, come on, we keep asking in shock and disbelief, "How could this happen???" with every new shooting incident at our schools & every new suicide but yet we are okay with this?

What kind of parent would allow their children to play this? What kind of parent would raise a child who wants to play this type of "game?" What kind of people design & sell this type of "game?" What is happening to our society?

I know there has and always will be violent movies, games, etc. but traditionally, the protaganist is the "good guy" winning out over evil and the kids are going after the "bad guys." This is different.

Anybody thinks this is fine and dandy and care to share their genuine thoughts? I really am seriously curious. (Can we leave the sarcasm, name calling, etc. out) Discuss civilly please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 10:28 AM

376 posts, read 295,837 times
Probably a hoax but otherwise a good idea. We simply make a list of the people that buy the game and shoot them.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:50 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,516,977 times
IF released to public it will sell BIG because America likes blood and gore no matter what the theme. This should be stopped but I doubt it will. The makers should be flooded with emails/calls 24/7 BUT it should be polite, NO profane and sensible in content. Find what stores would be selling this garbage and tell them ahead of this arriving they face boycott and protests outside their store if they carry it. Letters to editors, posters on public bulletin boards, call in to talk radio stations, call your local TV station. copy and paste the link anywhere and everywhere ya can. BTW thanks for posting this!!

Old 04-21-2011, 10:56 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
is this for real? it looks like it might just be someone yanking everyone's chain.

from the 'developers' website:

Quote:
When will School Shooter be released?
Does it look like I ****ing know? Right now we’re hard at work trying to create the most realistic student slaughtering modification ever made, which takes some time, so keep on checking our site every couple of minutes to see if it’s released.
then there was this game, all the way back in 1997.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postal_(video_game)

Old 04-21-2011, 11:29 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
is this for real? it looks like it might just be someone yanking everyone's chain.

from the 'developers' website:

then there was this game, all the way back in 1997.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postal_(video_game)
I hope its not for real. Just found this article about a Lawmaker who talks about it but in the comments section someone argues that it is not something that will be sold in the stores but downloaded from a site. My kids aren't into this type of stuff so I'm not that familiar with it. But, I hope this is not for real. Sorry state of affairs for anyone to think this is funny or fun.

Lawmaker warns of "school shooter" video game - CBS 21 News - Breaking news, sports and weather for the Harrisburg -York -Lancaster -Lebanon Pennsylvania area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies