Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 07:23 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,276,435 times

Advertisements

And yet the Westboro Baptist Church Group goes unchallenged??? Don't get me wrong, I think the Westboro Church Group, disgusting as it is, should be free to speak, but this case involves a physical attack. What if attendees at a funeral where Westboro picketers were at attacked one of the picketers, would no charges be filed???

"The Sacramento County district attorney is refusing to press charges against a man and a woman who attacked and beat a local Fox reporter and camerawoman earlier this year."
DA Refuses to Press Charges in Attack on Local FOX TV Crew | The Blaze
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 07:38 PM

18 posts, read 41,350 times
Isn't pressing charges up to the people attacked, or Fox if Fox IS representing the people?

[Mod cut]

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-30-2011 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: Signatures not allowed IAW TOS

Old 04-28-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Nomine View Post
Isn't pressing charges up to the people attacked, or Fox if Fox IS representing the people?

Cast by the Odinson's mighty Mjolnir!
The D.A. has to agree to take the case. Apparently, it didn't, despite this:
"

"The DA’s release trumpeted a similar message when it came to the sister: “Her conduct clearly falls outside the bounds of acceptable behavior, is highly offensive, and technically qualifies as a misdemeanor assault or battery. However, when viewed in the context of the emotions, anger, and frustrations that surely accompanied the very recent murder of her brother, a prosecution for misdemeanor assault or battery is not warranted.”

(emphasis mine)

Old 04-28-2011, 08:08 PM

10,033 posts, read 9,512,383 times
It's in California, no suprise.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:11 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,326,616 times
I'm surprised the Fox News crew weren't lynched on the spot.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
I'm surprised the Fox News crew weren't lynched on the spot.
...and called an "accident."

Old 04-28-2011, 08:17 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,848,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
The D.A. has to agree to take the case. Apparently, it didn't, despite this:
"

"The DA’s release trumpeted a similar message when it came to the sister: “Her conduct clearly falls outside the bounds of acceptable behavior, is highly offensive, and technically qualifies as a misdemeanor assault or battery. However, when viewed in the context of the emotions, anger, and frustrations that surely accompanied the very recent murder of her brother, a prosecution for misdemeanor assault or battery is not warranted.”

(emphasis mine)

I would think that the FOX crew could bring a civil case if they desired.

I imagine part of the DA's thinking is at that the accused would at a maximum get 6 months in jail and $1,000 to $2,000 fine. If DA doesn't think that the accused are a threat to do this again, that the expense of the trial isn't worth the effort.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I would think that the FOX crew could bring a civil case if they desired.

I imagine part of the DA's thinking is at that the accused would at a maximum get 6 months in jail and $1,000 to $2,000 fine. If DA doesn't think that the accused are a threat to do this again, that the expense of the trial isn't worth the effort.
Hmmmmm. Wonder what would happen if a funeral attendee reacted this way at one of the Westboro picket/protests???

Old 04-28-2011, 08:27 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,848,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Hmmmmm. Wonder what would happen if a funeral attendee reacted this way at one of the Westboro picket/protests???
Westboro would sue in a second. Its one of their primary sources of revenue. There goal is to get individuals or government officials to over react and them sue them.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Westboro would sue in a second. Its one of their primary sources of revenue. There goal is to get individuals or government officials to over react and them sue them.
So you are saying that, if they wanted, FOX could sue, like you predict Westboro would sue? BTW, do you have any legal background? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies