Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 01:16 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,726,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If we had jobs, even part time, and made it through school I am hopeful today's youth can too.
I worked weekends selling auto parts behind the parts counter and did a lot of car repairs for customers on the side during school breaks... mostly installing engines, transmissions and brake overhauls.

There were always customers buying parts and needing someone to install them... which worked out great for me and the place I worked for since we only sold parts.

A lot of my friends waited tables and the tips were not bad...

The problem is there always seems to be too much work and too little time... I've been paying into Social Security since age 12... had to get a work permit from the school district to be legal.

One of my High School teachers painted homes in the summer and would have a crew of his students working for him... it was a way to save money for college...

Options are out there to those that are receptive.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 05-15-2011 at 01:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 04:23 AM

315 posts, read 367,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Options are out there to those that are receptive.
Assuming, in this economy, one can find a job. And assuming if somewhere is hiring, they'll pick a student with a degree in progress and a class schedule to work around over a person with a degree and nothing limiting their availability.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:42 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,837,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The same can be said for higher education... not everyone meets the admission requirements...

I wonder how beneficial it is for many to go back to school if it means incurring lots of debt?

Husband of a friend was laid-off when the Toyota plant closed... he has not been in school for 30 years and is now attending... he has to if he wants to avail himself of the maximum severance package offered.

There are nearly 5000 of his co-workers in the same position...

My father taught High School and firmly believed a High School Diploma was essential... believing this, he had students that did quite well for themselves without the benefit of a 4 year or more college degree.

They became police officers, nurses, plumbers, electricians and one even became the mayor of a local town and another is a very successful restaurateur.

Higher Education is just one path of many.

The man I bought my first home from was a UC Berkeley graduate and spent his career as a letter carrier and tutored high school students nights and weekends for 50 years.
If you already made it in...obviously your initial statement has no relevance and hence is really superfluous.

You are missing the point that wages have not increased to match the increase of tuition. Thus, even working full time won't cover the rise in tuition.

What if you want to become a teacher, a social worker, or a nurse (yes, some nurses even have master degrees). So we should negate those people since there are "multiple paths"? Increasingly, higher education is that path. Not to mention you still have to pay tuition for technical trades (which have skyrocketed in tuition as well).

The man who graduated from UC Berkeley and worked for 50 years probably has no clue about the current state today. A lot has changed in even the past 15 years in tuition.

Clearly you seem out of touch.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:45 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,672,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
So when an 8 month pregnant woman crosses the border JUST TO GIVE birth, what is that called?

Ever heard of Luis Gutierrez and other groups advocating for amnesty for illegal aliens who have American born children with the argument that we cannot separate families?
The law does not provide any authority for the mother in your hypothetical to stay in the country or become a citizen.

I assume you already know that.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:51 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,324,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Californians can thank Messrs. Jarvis and Gann for decimating their public educations system.
Before prop 13 California spent the most on education but now we spend something like 46/50 while our state's schools went from the best to one of the worst (on average though there are still some districts which are great). Conservatives love to say "throwing money at a problem won't solve it", which is fair enough, but we know not spending money pretty much assures failure. Double the number of students in each class hasn't helped, eliminating most electives hasn't helped, decreasing the number of school days per year to save money hasn't helped, getting rid of tutoring hasn't helped. You can go on and on with a million examples but our schools started their slide almost exactly when they started cutting the funding.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:21 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,758,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Before prop 13 California spent the most on education but now we spend something like 46/50 while our state's schools went from the best to one of the worst (on average though there are still some districts which are great). Conservatives love to say "throwing money at a problem won't solve it", which is fair enough, but we know not spending money pretty much assures failure. Double the number of students in each class hasn't helped, eliminating most electives hasn't helped, decreasing the number of school days per year to save money hasn't helped, getting rid of tutoring hasn't helped. You can go on and on with a million examples but our schools started their slide almost exactly when they started cutting the funding.
I doubt that less per student is given now than back when the schools were known for quality.

The reason you spend something like 46/50 is that you've found so much other things to spend taxpayer money on -- but spending for schools isn't down. California spends more than enough per student.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
The law does not provide any authority for the mother in your hypothetical to stay in the country or become a citizen.

I assume you already know that.
Have you ever heard of any parents of these anchor babies being deported? -- nuf said.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:24 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,784,683 times
California might have to do that. They have to cut spending and raise taxes. They will also have to raise fees on those citizens using services. That's just a reality right now.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
California might have to do that. They have to cut spending and raise taxes. They will also have to raise fees on those citizens using services. That's just a reality right now.
The problem with raising taxes all the time is that the taxpayers can leave. Then what?

Liberals have to face up to the fact that it's time to cut spending.

In fact the worst thing that can happen is to chase away the taxpayers but chasing away the welfare types is a positive.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:51 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,837,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The problem with raising taxes all the time is that the taxpayers can leave. Then what?

Liberals have to face up to the fact that it's time to cut spending.

In fact the worst thing that can happen is to chase away the taxpayers but chasing away the welfare types is a positive.

The ridiculous tuition rise seen in CA community colleges, CSU, and the UC system is a direct result of conservative policies of decreased taxes and mis allocation of funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies