Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 03:21 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,423,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I suggest you follow your heart and begin donating large sums of money to anyone you feel deserves reparations. Call all of your friends and get them to do the same. That's charity.

As long as you don't use OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY, I don't care who you pay or why you think they should be paid.
That's the funny thing about being part of a country: Since the country as a whole allowed it, the country as a whole is responsible.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:24 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
That's the funny thing about being part of a country: Since the country as a whole allowed it, the country as a whole is responsible.
I'm a US citizen and I'm not in any way responsible for slavery nor is anyone alive today deserving of any money because of slavery. You show me a black person today who was a slave forced to work a field or pick cotton and maybe I'll change my mind, until then reparations is the biggest pile of PC crap ever.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:24 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
A lot say that Jews deserve reparations, but why don't blacks deserve them? I mean blacks were slaves under a brutal slavery system for 400 years. Look at how Jim Crow prevented blacks in the south from uplifting themselves to move up the social ladder. The psychological damage that was caused by oppression generations years ago still affect blacks today.
Yes, blacks should find their ancestors or other agents of slavery in Africa who captured them and sold them into servitude.

Jim Crow moved on some time ago, just ask Colin Powell or Condoleeza Rice or Damon Wayans.. Nobody living in the U.S. owes reparations to anybody for anything. There are no living victims of the slave era. And probably none of their children.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:37 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
A lot say that Jews deserve reparations, but why don't blacks deserve them? I mean blacks were slaves under a brutal slavery system for 400 years. Look at how Jim Crow prevented blacks in the south from uplifting themselves to move up the social ladder. The psychological damage that was caused by oppression generations years ago still affect blacks today.
In these forums I always look to see if someone is asking a question such as If Jews get reparations, why not blacks? in a rhetorical manner. It's kind of hard to tell sometimes. Anyhow, a number of Jews that received reparations were the actual people who were involved in the holocaust. And sometimes it was essentially their own confiscated money being given back to them, or their family. But the notion of reparations can get pretty wild. My grandmother was a widow and her family's only bread-winner for much of her adult life. Because she was a woman she had trouble finding suitable work despite the fact that she was educated. At the time, we had a culture that discriminated against women. Her son (my father) grew up in near poverty because of it. Now, should my father get reparations? [Hey, my own rehtorical question.] Many demographics faced some form of discrimination through the years. Many years ago, when I was younger, I was told that I was not going to get a supervisory position because I was single and they wanted a married man. I was told that right over a desk. And get this; at the time I thought it was an acceptable reason. See, I lived in the same culture that viewed such things as permissible, even when I was the victim. And no, I don't want reparations.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:47 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,423,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I'm a US citizen and I'm not in any way responsible for slavery nor is anyone alive today deserving of any money because of slavery. You show me a black person today who was a slave forced to work a field or pick cotton and maybe I'll change my mind, until then reparations is the biggest pile of PC crap ever.
Doesn't matter. The proof is there that the current poverty and living conditions of both African Americans and Native Americans are directly as a result of discrimination, slavery, and general abuse that our forefathers are responsible for.

It doesn't matter that we aren't responsible for it. What matters is how we decide to solve the problems.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:53 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Doesn't matter. The proof is there that the current poverty and living conditions of both African Americans and Native Americans are directly as a result of discrimination, slavery, and general abuse that our forefathers are responsible for.

It doesn't matter that we aren't responsible for it. What matters is how we decide to solve the problems.
We will never be able to solve problems for people who don't want and willingly refuse help. I've never owned slaves, I've never known anyone who has nor have I ever met anyone of any skin color who was a slave or knew anyone who had been a slave. If the Unites States gave reparations to blacks what percentage of that money do you think would get used wisely to help these people get themselves out of poverty and in better living conditions? How much of it do you think would get wasted on things that lead people into deeper poverty? Yeah... if you're honest with yourself you know those percentages are probably close to 50/50 if we're lucky.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:59 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Because the Jews who were persecuted, thrown in camps, and saw their families murdered by NAZIs are STILL ALIVE TODAY and they receive payments from the German Government because they are still alive.

The German GOVERNMENT CONFISCATED BANK ACCOUNTS, INSURANCE, PERSONAL ART POSESSIONS from the victims of the Holocaust which in today's money would be priceless. YES THEY SHOULD GET PAID.

The Jews who got reparations aren't being paid reparations for SLAVE LABOR you know. Or maybe you didn't know that. They're not being paid because people were killed. They're being paid for their personal wealth that was confiscated. NOT PAIN AND SUFFERING PAYMENTS.

They're getting paid because in nations where they lived the banks that confiscated THEIR MONEY BUILT THE CONCENTRATION CAMPS THAT KILLED THEIR FAMILIES! You probably didn't even know that!

NOBODY in this country was an owned slave and worked on a plantation.

Everyone who was a slave is DEAD today. ALL OF THEM ARE DEAD.

If someone can come to this country from VIETNAM without a penny in 1974, pick themselves up from the very bottom of society, have a family, and own a company and be a success in the United States today, for damn certain anybody who is a descendant of a slave that died over 100 years ago can.

Some "black" people are their own worst enemy.

The Government of the United States doesn't owe you a dime. But you owe everything including your life today - to your ancestors who came before you to make a success out of your life without asking for a handout.

Last edited by LuckyGem; 05-12-2011 at 04:17 PM..

Old 05-12-2011, 04:01 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I'm all for giving 40 acres and a mule to ANY former slaves. Heck...I'll even spring for a 2nd mule.
Expect a stream of NFL players to be lined up at your door. Oops, you said former, not current.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:02 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,842,401 times
Throwing money at poverty never fixes the underlying problem. If you have not noticed, there are a plethura of programs to help the needy already. If the programs are not working, how will even more money help? It will not. The problem resides in the mindset of those in poverty. Virtually everyone knows what it takes to have moderate success in life, hard work and education. Both are readily available to the able, yet perpetually poor if they so choose to take advantage. The ball is in their court. I say take away the crutches so they can learn how to walk on their own! If you give a large segment of the population just enough to survive, which we tend to do, many of that segment will choose that life over cultivating their ambitions.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:04 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
How much does the OP figure has already been paid through social welfare/entitlement programs x 150 years? Do the math please and get back to us. U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies