Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 02:58 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,681,455 times

Advertisements

A lot say that Jews deserve reparations, but why don't blacks deserve them? I mean blacks were slaves under a brutal slavery system for 400 years. Look at how Jim Crow prevented blacks in the south from uplifting themselves to move up the social ladder. The psychological damage that was caused by oppression generations years ago still affect blacks today.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:04 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,256,496 times
In the early part of this country's history, Catholics were prosecuted to no end. They were denied rights under the Crown and under the colony's government. They weren't allowed to own property and were treated as second-class citizens. Want to advocate compensation for Catholics in this country? I'm Catholic and am deeply offended what happened to my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ 300-400 years ago.

While we're at it, the Japanese and Germans who were American citizens/legal residents were ridiculed and imprisoned in the 1940s. They should be getting money too.

And let's not forget about the Tories in the Revolutionary War! Here they were, following the law, and those bastard revolutionaries went and captured them as "traitors" and tortured them. Unbelieveable.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:05 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
I don't believe in reparations for anyone for any reason.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:10 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
A lot say that Jews deserve reparations, but why don't blacks deserve them? I mean blacks were slaves under a brutal slavery system for 400 years. Look at how Jim Crow prevented blacks in the south from uplifting themselves to move up the social ladder. The psychological damage that was caused by oppression generations years ago still affect blacks today.

How about women? They couldn't vote for a long time. Maybe we should pay every woman a nice sum of money to assuage their loss.

How about Japanese. Their people were incarcerated during WWII here in the USA... pay them too.

How about American Indians..... we stole their land.

How about Southern Farmers who lost their crops during the civil war... while they were innocently farming.

I think my ancestry goes back to Able. When Cain slew Able, he inflicted damage on us for ever. So pay me a nice sum.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:10 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,423,197 times
Ethnic or other groups that have been a past target of discrimination, slavery, genocide, etc. do in fact deserve reparation payments from the responsible party(ies) up until the point where said group has been made equivalent in averages to the rest of society.

With that said:

Jews no longer deserve reparations. Israel is a successful, self-governing nation that can defend itself well. Most non-Israeli Jews affected by the Holocaust have received appropriate reparations from German war debt payments, etc.

African-Americans still deserve reparations. As a group, they still have a much higher rate of poverty and a much lower standard of living compared to others.

Native Americans still deserve reparations for the same reasons.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:11 PM

915 posts, read 1,190,877 times
Who says Jews deserve reparations? Are you talking about here in the US?

Old 05-12-2011, 03:14 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
I'm all for giving 40 acres and a mule to ANY former slaves. Heck...I'll even spring for a 2nd mule.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:16 PM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Well, we've only been a union for about 230 years, so who do you want reparations from before that time period?

How's the reparations going with the Dutch, Spanish, Netherlands, Britian and the African nations who traded in slaves that ended up in north America?

Old 05-12-2011, 03:19 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post

African-Americans still deserve reparations. As a group, they still have a much higher rate of poverty and a much lower standard of living compared to others.

Native Americans still deserve reparations for the same reasons.

I suggest you follow your heart and begin donating large sums of money to anyone you feel deserves reparations. Call all of your friends and get them to do the same. That's charity.

As long as you don't use OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY, I don't care who you pay or why you think they should be paid.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:19 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,423,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Well, we've only been a union for about 230 years, so who do you want reparations from before that time period?

How's the reparations going with the Dutch, Spanish, Netherlands, Britian and the African nations who traded in slaves that ended up in north America?
Americans were the last ones to touch the slaves. The above countries had nothing to do with the fact that we still allowed slavery from 1776 to the civil war, then later instituted the jim crow laws. We had plenty of time to stop it and improve their situation. Did we? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies