Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 06:05 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times

Advertisements

Why such a big friggin deal anyways, What is the deal. So many act as if being Gay, is like an illness or something, or inhibits them from doing normal things, get over it. They are normal in evey way but one, so what.

Because one is gay, does not mean they can't play sports, be a musician, hold a job, have a home , have friends etc. I just wonder how many of ya all work with someone who is gay and don't even realize it.

And if we were not busy being busy body's and not accepting people for who they are, there would not be anything being shoved down on throats, people only want to lead a normal as life as possible.

The person who cannot tolerate working with someone who is gay is the one with a problem to me, in a work enviroment it should be nothing matters but the work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 06:11 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
lol competency at sports is like demanding and expecting competency at tic-tac toe. Sports are petty and useless.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:12 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
If they aren't comfortable with your gayness, your work and ideas will be the first to be targeted for unfair scrutiny, so that they don't get into trouble for "harassment". Watch out for that trick. They do it to blacks, Jews, and Hispanics too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
The person who cannot tolerate working with someone who is gay is the one with a problem to me, in a work enviroment it should be nothing matters but the work.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:40 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
How do you feel about a coworker that you work closely with and to, if that coworker is known to commit what is deemed by society or yourself as immoral? I guess the key there is "you deem immoral". Idolater, Drug abuser, Beastiality believer, adulterer are all acts that don't really hurt other people like a thief or murderer. Ask yourself if you are comfortable with all these acts or being around people who are open participants in these acts. Most of us would cringe to have to work closely with one or more of these partaking people. But when it comes to homosexuality, it has been pushed down our throats so we now adjust and assimilate.
What do you mean by "is known"? If I don't see something with my own two eyes, then it's gossip. I have very little tolerance for gossip at work.

Drug or substance abuse impairs a person's ability to perform a job. The employer, other employees and customers are adversely affected by an impaired worker. There are policies and procedures in the workplace to deal with those situations.

I have taken care of all sorts of criminals, drug/substance abusers, homosexuals, drag queens, adulterers and even a guy who sodomized a poodle. I cannot pass judgement and do my job at the same time. I probably work with a few "immoral" people and I don't even know it. I don't want to know either. If I suspect there's something illegal going on I get social services involved. That's what they're there for.

I don't understand the obsession with what other people do as long as it isn't illegal. If you don't agree with something, then don't do it. I don't think it's a matter of "adjusting and assimilating". It's a matter people minding their own business.

Back to the OP.

Good for Sir Charles!

Old 05-19-2011, 06:46 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
If a guy can play, gay or straight, then there's no discussion. If he can't play, gay or straight, he probably won't make the team.

I don't think I've ever seen a gay athlete 'make a move' in the course of his paid sports activity. Maybe 'cept the time some guy in football got penalized for 'giving him the business'.

What goes on in the locker room or beyond is none of my business. Teammates will resolve any conflicts there.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:46 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Might improve the NBA's image. At least a gay player won't have a child out of wedlock and become a deadbeat dad willing to pay a fortune in lawyers to get out of paying a dime in childsupport like Larry Bird and other NBA players.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:17 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I work with some gay guys and let me tell you, most, not all of them, use their orientation to throw discrimination charges around to get promotions and other things they want.
How so? Please give examples.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:54 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
How do you feel about a coworker that you work closely with and to, if that coworker is known to commit what is deemed by society or yourself as immoral? I guess the key there is "you deem immoral".

Idolater
What's that? Sounds quaint. You mean religious practices involving symbolic representation of gods? I'd view them the same as if Christian, Muslim, Hindu, or other religion. As long as they're not preaching it, we're good.

Quote:
Drug abuser
If it doesn't affect their work and they aren't using drugs at work, what's it to me? If they are an abuser, rather than merely a user, then their addiction probably does affect their work and in that case would call for disciplinary action. I don't see how homosexuality compares to this.

Quote:
Beastiality believer
That's abuse of animals. Animals can't consent, it's like rape. And not like homosexuality. The general consensus is against animal abuse and I think it will remain so.

Quote:
adulterer
None of my business. If the co-worker is a deceitful jerk with affairs going on in the workplace, I'd be bothered. But the issue is the anti-social behavior, not the sexual activity.

Quote:
Ask yourself if you are comfortable with all these acts or being around people who are open participants in these acts. Most of us would cringe to have to work closely with one or more of these partaking people. But when it comes to homosexuality, it has been pushed down our throats so we now adjust and assimilate.
A lot of people in past days (and some in current times) would include interracial dating/marriage in that list of cringe-worthy activities. Has that been "pushed down throats" to gain acceptance, and is that a bad thing? Same with inter-religion relationships, like Jews marrying Christians (and neither converting) - that really could have put the damper on a social event once upon a time. Yes, society adjusts, some people just take longer than others.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:01 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd love View Post
What are the names of those team members?
Dude this isn't that kind of website. Move on.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:51 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Might improve the NBA's image. At least a gay player won't have a child out of wedlock and become a deadbeat dad willing to pay a fortune in lawyers to get out of paying a dime in childsupport like Larry Bird and other NBA players.
Actually, there are more gay men who have kids than you might think. I'm gay and have met my share. It's shocking how many gay men will do anything to conform to accepted norms. It ends up causing a lot of unnecessary pain for all parties involved...but that's another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies