Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 07:45 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times

Advertisements

Tax dollars at work!!

CDC EPR | Social Media | Preparedness 101: Zombie Apocalypse - Blog (http://emergency.cdc.gov/socialmedia/zombies_blog.asp - broken link)

There are all kinds of emergencies out there that we can prepare for. Take a zombie apocalypse for example. That’s right, I said z-o-m-b-i-e a-p-o-c-a-l-y-p-s-e. You may laugh now, but when it happens you’ll be happy you read this, and hey, maybe you’ll even learn a thing or two about how to prepare for a real emergency.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 07:54 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,764,557 times
You have got to be kidding me..... Too much!

Old 05-21-2011, 08:37 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,732,136 times
Just for converation sake, how would the country react during a "zombie apocalypse"? Say there is no more government to protect you and everyone was on their own.

Who would be most equipped to survive the longest? Liberals who depend on someone else to "handle" things for them, or conservatives who take matters into their own hands and know how you use guns and support groups that have survival training?

I think most liberals would die quickly because everyone in the group would be looking at each other wondering who was going to find the food or kill the zombies.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:42 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,933 times
Read it! It's an amusing way to get people to prepare for disasters.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:49 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,419,986 times
So the CDC has come up with a gimmick to make people more aware of how to prepare for and what to do during a disaster.

Quote:
The CDC got a question about zombies during an online chat about radiation leaks related to the meltdown at Japan's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant in March, and they saw traffic spike.

(Dr. Ali S.) Khan (who is a CDC director) and his communications team knew they'd found a way to get the public interested in disaster preparedness, he said.

"You have a 'Resident Evil' movie coming out, 'Shaun of the Dead,' 'World War Z.' It's a good metaphor for where you have complete disruption," he said.

So they posted the advice on Monday. Their website crashed on Wednesday.
Ready for a zombie apocalypse? CDC has advice - CNN.com

Who else but humorless partisan hacks would have an objection to a novel way to engage the public in a serious discussion about disaster preparedness?

Last edited by djmilf; 05-21-2011 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: changed 'disaster planning' to 'disaster preparedness' in last sentence

Old 05-21-2011, 08:54 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Tax dollars at work!!

CDC EPR | Social Media | Preparedness 101: Zombie Apocalypse - Blog (http://emergency.cdc.gov/socialmedia/zombies_blog.asp - broken link)

There are all kinds of emergencies out there that we can prepare for. Take a zombie apocalypse for example. That’s right, I said z-o-m-b-i-e a-p-o-c-a-l-y-p-s-e. You may laugh now, but when it happens you’ll be happy you read this, and hey, maybe you’ll even learn a thing or two about how to prepare for a real emergency.
Well, despite the articles....colorful....title, it is honestly just an average emergency preparedness guideline. The zombie bit seems designed to grab attention and poke a bit of humor into a serious subject. Did you actually read the whole thing? Or, did you just stop at the first couple of sentences? The zombie thing was hardly intended to be serious, but the author did use it as a guideline to how CDC responds to bio threats. At any rate,, personally, I will take the brunt of responsibility for my family's safety in an emergency. Government agencies are not on my top 5 list of things to rely on when things go pear shaped, whether it's CDC, FEMA or whatever.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:03 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,058,406 times
I have never seen such a foolish thread in my life. The CDC has done this for years because it gets people motivated and engaged (many people, like me, love zombie movies), while focusing on general preparations. The CDC and the article blatantly point out they don't do it as a serious subject.

God, it's like some fool posting an onion article as "real news"...then doesn't get when people point out it's a parody.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:04 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Tax dollars at work!!

It was not meant to be taken seriously, it was meant to draw attention people to the real issues. Too bad you missed that
Casper

Old 05-21-2011, 09:04 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Well, despite the articles....colorful....title, it is honestly just an average emergency preparedness guideline. The zombie bit seems designed to grab attention and poke a bit of humor into a serious subject. Did you actually read the whole thing? Or, did you just stop at the first couple of sentences? The zombie thing was hardly intended to be serious, but the author did use it as a guideline to how CDC responds to bio threats. At any rate,, personally, I will take the brunt of responsibility for my family's safety in an emergency. Government agencies are not on my top 5 list of things to rely on when things go pear shaped, whether it's CDC, FEMA or whatever.
Yeah, I read it, and while it obviously is an attempt at humor, (yes liberals, continue with your attacks at me, for posting the thread), it doesnt begin to tell you how to prepare..

The obvious flaw
Water (1 gallon per person per day)
How many days exactly do I need? 30 days, thats 120 gallons for my family, 60 days, that would be 240 gallons.. Where would I store this much water? In the event of an emergency where water is in such a demand, somoene woulnt have an issue coming into my home or my yard and killing us for that amount of water..

Do Zombies even drink water? Why would I need water if we had a zombie attack, will they poison the water? Will government not protect us from zombies? Wouldnt our healthcare be paid for if we wewre under a zombie attack? Wouldnt we have government sponsored safe areas we could go to?

The thread is to point out yet another hypocracy by Democrats.. Take a government attempt at humor, and if you post it, you are ridiculed, but let a GOP member say something thats not attempted to be taken seriously, and you guys are all them. Or even worse, you guys outright LIE about what they said..

Example, newt calling Obama the welfare president, was turned into RACISM..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
It was not meant to be taken seriously, it was meant to draw attention people to the real issues. Too bad you missed that
Casper
Wow, you figured that out all by yourself. Is your name Sherlock Homes?

Old 05-21-2011, 09:06 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
I'll add:

I think the zombie reference was to help get young adults interested in emergency preparedness. Too often, they (and yes, I was young once, despite what my kids thing) don't think this issue concerns them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies