Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 09:15 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,021,009 times

Advertisements

Direct instruction vs inquiry learning - Business Insider

Apparently the way we used to 40 plus years ago before we became so enlightened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 09:28 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,782,756 times
I don't think teaching style is as important as culture.

American culture is deeply anti-intellectual, individualistic and contempt for authority abounds.

Chinese culture is pro-intellectual, collectivist and deferring to authority, elders, etc... is par for the course.

I taught in Asia for almost a decade. If there was a high achiever in class it usually meant that every single aspect of his or her life was aggressively micro-managed by the parents.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:33 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Chinese do a lot of memorization, that is how they learn, thinking outside the box is not part of their education and hence why they do so little innovation and invention. I have worked for two different Major Chinese Telecom companies and anyone that has can tell you they are no where close to as capable as US or European Engineers.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:35 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,442,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
(Certain) American culture(s) are deeply anti-intellectual, individualistic and contempt for authority abounds.

Looking at how other countries do education is an exercise in futility. We are a unique country and have unique education needs.

Who cares what other countries are doing.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:42 AM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
IQ + EQ = success

As with all things in life, what we are looking for is balance. Standards, curriculum, teaching, learning, all striking a harmonic chord in the development of both IQ and EQ.

I say higher education alone is not enough.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:43 AM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Chinese do a lot of memorization, that is how they learn, thinking outside the box is not part of their education and hence why they do so little innovation and invention. I have worked for two different Major Chinese Telecom companies and anyone that has can tell you they are no where close to as capable as US or European Engineers.
agree with the bolded.

I've dated two engineers. Both were born in the U.S. They are like artists, so creative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies