Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 03:13 AM

256 posts, read 479,471 times

Advertisements

I am not surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 08:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Liberals are more open-minded. This doesn't equate to higher or lower intelligence, though.
and I happen to think overall liberals are not more open minded. On social issues maybe, but they are the first to judge people who do not agree with them. For some reason many liberals think their way of thinking is the only correct way. I happen to feel people all have a right to think the way they want. I may not agree or understand but with rare exception very few things are fact: most are just opinions.

Nita

Old 07-10-2011, 08:12 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
If liberals are so smart, why are we still in such an economic mess? You libs have your best and brightest in there, where's the job recovery?

Old 07-10-2011, 08:42 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,389,895 times
This must be why blacks and latinos academically outperform whites and asians.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:47 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Not really a surprise. Considering the basis of conservative thought is that things are better because, well, they came before in time ("The way it's always been done"). No constructive analysis required, no research is needed, just simple emotional judgement.

If we listened to conservatives throughout history people would be convinced the sun revolves around the Earth, sea monsters were out in the ocean waiting to eat us, and if you got sick it is because you did something to anger God.

I guess the nice part is we have a well defined category for those who exist near the low end of the intelligence spectrum.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
I was googling around trying to find a studies that link fringe political views (from either side) to cognitive ability and found this study instead.

Are Liberals Smarter Than Conservatives? — The American Magazine

I'm a little behind the times since it is from a few years ago. A researcher looked at political views and tried to link them to intelligence. It wasn't the case that conservatives in general or Republicans had lower intelligence levels, but social conservatives were shown to have lower levels of intelligence. That would include people who vote based on values and not conservative financial principles.

It's an interesting study. In thinking about the outcome, it does make sense to me. I've challenged social conservatives to debates on several fronts (as I do with people of all political mindsets) and in the end when all of their rationalizations are shot down, it all comes back to emotion as their justification. Perhaps these people have a left side of the brain that is weak and thus dominated by the right.

I'd be interested to see if anyone has found any other studies in similar peer reviewed journals.
and you don't think, when a social conservative or any type conservative debates you they do not come out thinking your reasoning is based on emotion and opinion only? I happen to wonder about anyone that would begin to believe liberals are more intelligent than conservatives. This is what often makes some thing libs are narrow minded and judgemental. I happen to think to think there are many highly intelligent people on both sides of the aisle. There are also ding dongs on both sides.

You might add to this, there are those with high IQs but no common sense and visa versa.

NIta

Old 07-10-2011, 08:50 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
I was googling around trying to find a studies that link fringe political views (from either side) to cognitive ability and found this study instead.

Are Liberals Smarter Than Conservatives? — The American Magazine

I'm a little behind the times since it is from a few years ago. A researcher looked at political views and tried to link them to intelligence. It wasn't the case that conservatives in general or Republicans had lower intelligence levels, but social conservatives were shown to have lower levels of intelligence. That would include people who vote based on values and not conservative financial principles.

It's an interesting study. In thinking about the outcome, it does make sense to me. I've challenged social conservatives to debates on several fronts (as I do with people of all political mindsets) and in the end when all of their rationalizations are shot down, it all comes back to emotion as their justification. Perhaps these people have a left side of the brain that is weak and thus dominated by the right.

I'd be interested to see if anyone has found any other studies in similar peer reviewed journals.
Tell us Brain Boy, how smart are you?

Old 07-10-2011, 08:53 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,389,895 times
This is because liberals measure intelligence by how much you agree with them.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:00 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Study shows that mainline liberalism and conservatism are linked to lower intelligence levels. My evidence are most of the posters on this forum, that rehash posts that are posted by the mainstream media. Most of you are controlled zombies without realizing it. Even you "smart" liberals are controlled by the left-wing media just as much as the "dumb" conservatives are controlled by the conservative media. You can show any study you like, but the fact boils down to you all watch/read the same propaganda everyday but dressed up differently. You libs should LOVE Bush because Obama has been doing almost 100% what Bush did. Just like I say conservatives should love Obama because he's doing almost everything Bush has. This is strongly evident in the fact that you "normal, mainstream, reasonable people" always endorse whomever the media is pushing, whether it's Hillary, Obama, Romney, Perry, Pawlenty, or Cain.

And when all of you make fun of conspiracy theorists, you all follow the same script the talk show hosts and news commentators do. Laugh nervously and talk down in a childish way the person, make black helicopter jokes, and say you're a nut and hang up. You all do the same thing, it's amazing. For those that are awake and realize the real state of affairs, I make this post not in reference to you. But to the many of you on here that are still sleepwalking, please wake up and see that the media is just the propaganda arm of the Democrat and Republican Parties

Old 07-10-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
I guess more study is needed. Oddly, nobody who is socially conservative have identified themselves on this thread. These studies are great to put out there when you hear someone championing loudly a socially conservative idea that you can shoot down in 2 minutes.
Maybe you need to have a serious debate with Condi Rice, Thomas Sowell or Ben Stien, Mark Stien, my husbands cousin who headed up the cath lab at Johns Hopkins for awhile or a good friend of ours, who is now dead who got his PHD from Standord? We could go on and on. Intelleigence and political views cross all lines.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies