Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who Should The Intersexed Be Allowed To Marry
Anybody they want 38 76.00%
Nobody - As neither a man or women they shouldn't have the right to marry 4 8.00%
Only other intersexed people 0 0%
They should legally be the sex their parents chose to raise them as, and they should be allowed to only marry the opposite sex 0 0%
A court should make a legal determination as to their sex, and they should be allowed to only marry the opposite sex 2 4.00%
At 18 they must declare a legal sex, and they should be allowed to only marry the opposite sex 6 12.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 02:43 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
But ultimately, they are genetically one or the other.
A statement that ultimately does not fall in line with actual genetics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 02:51 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
A statement that ultimately does not fall in line with actual genetics.
Calvanist (and many others on here) has a belief that humans only come in two sexes - male and female. I assume this belief comes from his religion - stories like Adam and Eve, teachings of proper gender roles, no mention of the intersex in the Bible, etc.

No evidence will sway him from this. Present him with the fact that the intesex exist (and account for 1-2% of all humans), and he'll still deny it. He'll do everything he can to place the intersex into one of the only two molds he believes exits - male or female. Blind faith is blinding.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:55 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
This isn't a case of someone who is homosexual or transsexual.

This is a case about an individual who was born, and their physical body and genetic body is completely out of sorts. A birth defect. They have chosen to live their life as a woman.

I feel sorry for her. The judge made his own decision based on bias.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
While I don't necessarily disagree with this, I think the judge was in a tough position. Texas Law (specifically its constitution) reads:

Quote:
(a) Marriage in this state shall consist only of the union of one man and one woman.
(b) This state or a political subdivision of this state may not create or recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage.
The intersex are neither male or female. It seems to me the Texas constitution bans the intersex for getting married (or civil unions or domestic partnerships, etc) at all.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:56 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
No, not always. While nearly all people with XY sex chromosomes are male and nearly all people with XX sex chromosomes are female, it's not always true. There are XX males and XY females:

XX male syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
XY gonadal dysgenesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Interesting reading. Thanks.
I think my solution is the best: an individual should be able to designate anyone as a beneficiary. As far as society goes, the person will always be treated as whatever they look like. No one is going to care about genetic tests for casual interaction. Let the person pick male or female when they turn 18.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:14 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,871,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Interesting reading. Thanks.
I think my solution is the best: an individual should be able to designate anyone as a beneficiary. As far as society goes, the person will always be treated as whatever they look like. No one is going to care about genetic tests for casual interaction. Let the person pick male or female when they turn 18.
Many intersex people (actually most) don't identify as male or female. Sometimes they put a % on it - my friend considers herself 70% female, 30% male for instance. Frankly the law should acknowledge that gender isn't black or white and should allow intersex status to be listed on birth certificates.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
This isn't a case of someone who is homosexual or transsexual.

This is a case about an individual who was born, and their physical body and genetic body is completely out of sorts. A birth defect. They have chosen to live their life as a woman.

The judge made his decision based on DNA testing and the laws of Texas.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
While I don't necessarily disagree with this, I think the judge was in a tough position. Texas Law (specifically its constitution) reads:

The intersex are neither male or female. It seems to me the Texas constitution bans the intersex for getting married (or civil unions or domestic partnerships, etc) at all.
Is there any state that recognizes a third category ?

Old 05-31-2011, 06:03 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No, which is why we need to do away with the gender concept to begin with.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not that I'm aware of (well, there are some states that in marriage law don't consider sex at all: Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont). That's partly why I started this thread - to have a discussion about whether the law as currently constructed addresses the issues of the intersex, and if not (which I think it clearly doesn't), should it be changed to do so.

Last edited by hammertime33; 05-31-2011 at 06:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies