Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 01:18 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally posted by Versatile
Begging for medical care | CJOnline.com

If you were among those without insurance, you either forwent care as long as you could, at a substantial risk to your life, or you asked for charity, never a pleasant task for an elderly person who has always taken pride in paying their bills. So many died from delaying care.
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevinm
If you don't value your health enough to save up to take care of yourself, then why should I care?

Liberals hope to run up as many bills as they can and then die leaving the payment for the next generation to deal with. That is the definition of selfish greed.
Well, if they didn't start their own business and make millions on their own, why should I care? Let' em die and reduce the population, the lazy good for nothing leeches!

Sorry, did I just sum up the Republican attitude toward the elderly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 01:18 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
If so, that's their choice, they can choose to pay out of pocket and not take advantage of Medicare. But don't impose their choice as the choice for the rest of us. Medicare isn't a hand-out. I paid my entire working life for it. That's why I'm entitled to that entitlement.
Yup, you are. And when you hit the amount you paid in, you can stop getting the care. That should be at around 25% of what you would eventually get out of it.

Still OK with that? Still say it's not a handout?

Old 06-09-2011, 01:30 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Yup, you are. And when you hit the amount you paid in, you can stop getting the care. That should be at around 25% of what you would eventually get out of it.

Government forced workers to pay into Medicare for decades, and then pay a premium for theMedicare coverage to boot. It's taken out of Social Security proceeds every check.

Nope,...it was taken from payroll by mandate, so fulfilling the "contract" should be an obligation of government.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:37 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Yes...so I hate that Fed taxes were taken out to fund the Iraq war... why am I paying for those out of my paycheck? Id rather pay for medical care than 5 wars I never supported.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:

The money has been invested. It would be impossible to figure out how much any one person "owns".

Old 06-09-2011, 03:46 PM

lol they want "NO HANDOUTS"...ok I WANT NO WAR ... stop funding the military. several billions in cuts on the deficit there.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:19 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:

Except your calculation ignores the time value of money. It works the same as insurance. You pay in over 30 years and get a benefit at the end. Some pay in and die before they get a benefit but to claim that if you pay in $100,000 over 30 years, you are only entitled to a maximum of $100,000, fails the common sense test.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:41 PM

circular reasoning ringwise. You dont want handouts, but then say they arent enough. have seen no arguments from the far right justifying medicare cuts. NONE

Old 06-10-2011, 07:51 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
circular reasoning ringwise. You dont want handouts, but then say they arent enough. have seen no arguments from the far right justifying medicare cuts. NONE
No surprise. The hard-rights never wanted Medicare in the first place and Medicare undermines their mantra that the government can't do anything right..

This is what Ronald Reagan said in 1961:

Well, it's been 60 years and I don't have to tell my children what it was like when men were free, they know for themselves. Reagan was wrong then and his followers are wrong today.

Last edited by MTAtech; 06-10-2011 at 08:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies