Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 09:20 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times

Advertisements

I'm sure that if the government would just allow oil companies to increase supply, oil companies would love to see prices fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 12:04 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Quit driving so much if you can't afford it.
some people drive 30, 40, 50 miles to minimum-wage jobs. It's a major burden for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I'm simply trying to take the point of view I see lauded on here so often that the government should stay out of our lives and we should be responsible for ourselves in every way. If gas is too high for you, simply start riding a bike or walking instead of waiting for the government to fix it for you. The OP seems to be quite anti-liberal/Democrat so I would think this view of personal responsibility would be especially appealing.
And pro-profit for corporations. My point exactly (it apparently escaped some). I was pointing out the OP's contradiction. I couldn't care less if somebody gets rich or profits (unless they become too powerful in the affairs of this country).
Re bikes: European cities are designed to encourage this with bike paths alongside their streets - convenient and safe. American city planners seem to take an opposite view.
Quote:
So Obama didnt stop drilling?
Drilling has nothing to do with Wall Street speculation. There is no oil shortage. The prices (and we) are being manipulated.
Quote:
Were NOT subsidizing them..
OK a tax break is not a subsidy. It's whatever you decide to call it. You're not aware of the recent congressional hearings where the oil execs said they needed continuing govt "support"?
As oil execs testify to Congress they reveal some interesting facts... - PriusChat Forums

Old 06-05-2011, 12:24 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
One day, we're gonna look back and wish for the days of $4.50 a gallon gas. I remember when I started driving it was ~79 cents a gallon. (In Georgia)
1980s Flashback-Economy / Prices****

My dad remembers when it was a nickel a gallon. "You could drive all day on a dollar!", he once told me.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:07 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
One day, we're gonna look back and wish for the days of $4.50 a gallon gas. I remember when I started driving it was ~79 cents a gallon. (In Georgia)
1980s Flashback-Economy / Prices****
My dad remembers when it was a nickel a gallon. "You could drive all day on a dollar!", he once told me.
Here's an idea. An oil company owned by the citizens, USA Oil, for our market only, low-profit small overhead, and competing with OPEC. Conservatives could continue to buy from the Big Six, their choice. Maybe there could be an opt-out of taxes for Republicans.
Subscribers would own the pumps. Independent businessmen could move in to provide other services (the pumps would be a drawing card).

Old 06-05-2011, 02:44 PM

27,146 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Republicans took over control of the US House and , BOOM!, the prices skyrocketed.

....and they had nothing to do with Libya.
That's when it happened, after Libya.

Obama circumvented their input on that.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:01 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,871,484 times
lolz oil is a finite resource people.

Peak Oil News and Message Boards*|* What is PO?

Old 06-06-2011, 07:00 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
....and they had nothing to do with Libya.
That's when it happened, after Libya.

Obama circumvented their input on that.
Really? What input did they have? Something different than they provided to Bush in 2008?

Old 06-06-2011, 10:20 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
lolz oil is a finite resource people.

Peak Oil News and Message Boards*|* What is PO?
PeakOilers believe in fairy tales.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:30 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
And you libs and Democrats really think this economic meathead will be re-elected in 2012? How much more damage do you people want him to inflict on this country?
You thanked him for the correct thing!

It isn't him setting gas prices.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:30 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
PeakOilers believe in fairy tales.
Who could have thought that at least one fairy tale would be real?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies