Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 08:32 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
It's not sustainable. Look what it has caused.
I live in a big house in the suburbs and drive everywhere.

I guess since I'm happy with my life, I don't have to obsess over yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 08:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Because their wives work as part time relators.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:40 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Why is urban sprawl now considered something "Conservatives" promote or endorse?

Slapping a new post-it note on your straw man, and then beating it mercilessly, is all the ever do. Anything you disagree with in instantly associated with conservatives.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:44 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
It seems many cities are becoming abandoned because of what they evolve into is unsustainable.
Is that why so many dying "towns" are just that, towns? Not cities?

I will never move to a suburb. No way, no how. I grew up in a burb & as soon as I was done with school I moved to the city, which is only like 20 minutes away. I don't live like a rat in a cage, I live in a cottage on a park with a great view. I know how to park on the city streets, unlike the suburbanites who come to the city for their friday night date & park like aholes. The city doesn't have homogenous strip malls like the burbs. Restaurant options are far superior. I prefer green space to stay green rather than have people erect their 2 story houses that all look the same with their constraints on what type of grasses you can plant, bans on vegetable gardens or clotheslines. Ridiculous. I rarely use my car, I have the bus. I can walk to work since I only live a mile away. Soon there will be a street car. Gas in my car lasts forever. No thanks, I'm very happy living in the city.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:51 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:
Why are you asking conservatives?

Old 03-09-2015, 08:55 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
I grew up in the suburbs and left as quick as I could after high school. Just not a place for a guy in his 20s.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:06 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I grew up in the suburbs and left as quick as I could after high school. Just not a place for a guy in his 20s.
Once you are a parent in your 30's, you might make the return.

For most families that aren't wealthy, the suburbs are the better option.

Don't get me wrong, a family of five CAN live in a 1,300 sq ft home, but most don't want to live in a house that small.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:08 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Wow, LA is about as liberal a city as you can get, even Phoenix is somewhat liberal. They keep building though. In LA the plan is to build way out between Valencia and Ventura County. Many big city's that continue to grow are liberal.

You can look to places like the South, Midwest, the mountain states as places of Conservatism. Where is the sprawl in those parts of the nation?

Old 03-09-2015, 09:14 AM

29,537 posts, read 19,626,354 times
I lived in the city of Chicago for 37 years. I used to make fun of suburbanites.... Now live in the far south suburbs. Bigger home, more land, safer community, and MUCH better schools for my kids.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:34 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
I live in a low population density suburban town. Three times in my life I lived in cities - DC-2x and NYC). I don't like the urban environment. I don't go to cities unless my arm is twisted. The Number One reason is the horror of driving and parking. I like the freedom that comes with driving and being able to go anyplace I want, when I want to, without worrying about whether public transportation goes there. To pick up 10 bags of groceries, I would make 1 trip. How many trips in a large city would you make for 10 bags of groceries?

Someday city dwellers will reflect on how much of their life is pi**ed away waiting for public transportation, walking to and from public transportation, spending time at stops that are not their stops. If they have a car, they will reflect on how much of their life is spent on the activity of looking for a parking spot or how much of their money is spent on the act of parking (garages, pay lots or meters). They will wonder how many illnesses they've had due to public transportation.

My sprawling town just has free parking lots. It also has no visible homeless people (real or fake) or mentally ill people screaming or menacing (probably because the sprawling town has no central downtown) making the town less attractive to them.

City people expect things (entertainment, sporting events, public events, restaurants, stores, etc.) to come to them. When they don't come to them and they have to go to it, it's a trip not a ride. Suburbanites and rural people are used to leaving their towns for those things on an everyday basis. They see new places regularly. I submit to you that urbanites are the bubble boys (meant non-gender specifically) because suburbanites and rural folk travel to all kinds of towns/cities, regularly, whether they want to or not. Not counting work related travel, I bet there are people living in NYC who have been to Florida or the Carolinas on vacation more times than have driven to any town 60 miles from NYC...and yet you wonder why people don't think like you do?

You may have a museum at the end of your street, I have a lake. I can see mountains, streams and hills. I see green things and open spaces.

You don't even look at the faces of people you pass in the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies