Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 08:46 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,903 times

Advertisements

It just doesn't add up to me. First, they claimed that temperatures were rising due to global warming. After there were decreses in temperarures, they changed it to "climate change". The Climate Gate scandal even brings more questions.

I'm not a conspiracy buff, but I think the whole climate change nonsense is pseudo science of our day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 08:48 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
I agree, I am open to the possibility, but I think it is far from settled. I haven't seen clear evidence that it is true. And I have seen pretty compelling evidence it isn't.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:29 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
No one ever said that liberals have a corner on smarts.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:31 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,514,622 times
I believe that the climate changes in cycles. So I guess I believe in climate change...

Old 06-03-2011, 09:32 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
No one ever said that liberals have a corner on smarts.

I would second that motion.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:41 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
I don't get the whole climate change BS debate. We all know that we're polluting the air, land, and water and that pollution is unhealthy for all life forms. Whether or not it is affecting the global temperatures is questionable and irrelevant. Why can't the enviro-nazis just stick with campaigning on the fact that our rivers, lakes, oceans, skies, etc are becoming polluted and that pollution is bad? Why do they have to go for the holy grail of trying to prove global warming exists due to human activity? I consider myself pretty pro-environment but they long lost my respect. They (the proponents of global warming) are the PETA of the environmental cause.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:43 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
It just doesn't add up to me. First, they claimed that temperatures were rising due to global warming. After there were decreses in temperarures, they changed it to "climate change". The Climate Gate scandal even brings more questions.

I'm not a conspiracy buff, but I think the whole climate change nonsense is pseudo science of our day.

Good for you!

The "climate change" and "global warming" hoaxes were perpetuated in an effort to achieve political goals of-

1. helping to dismantle US manufacturing superiority
2. ushering in the use of "green" sources of energy

They tried "the new ice age" approach in 1970, which was unsuccessful, so it was not surprising that "global warming" would be attempted in the future. Keep in mind that we knew in the 1980s that liberal were hatching a scheme to convince everyone that CO2 was a "pollutant". People laughed out loud at such a contention (they should still be laughing today), but here we are, 30 years later.

Every conservative wants clean, cheap and efficient sources of energy produced in the US. We understand that fossil fuels are ultimately a limited resource and that consversion to wind, solar, nuclear, and geothermal are viable options.

However, no rational person supports coercive efforts based in false premises and scare tactics as an attempt to herd a presumed "dull witted" proliteriat to the wishes of the elitist masters. It is disingenuous and insulting to presume that individuals would swallow such a lie which has been sent as a decree by the liberal masters. Wake up- people are smarter than liberals think they are and can see through BS quite easily.

If you want "clean energy", tell the truth and you would probably have more proponants. Lie about issues such as "man made global warming" and you will simply rally rational people against your cause. This is why I always rev my engine for my 600HP Super Bee, powered by racing fuel, at stop lights and get 5 miles per gallon. I am neutralizing four hybrids.

Keep in mind that these scams are reborn every generation to a new batch of suckers. Everything old is new again. Fortunately, I am old enough to have heard this con a few times before.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:05 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
Mitt Romney disagrees with you.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:05 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,246,823 times
For those of you who are skeptic, deniers, or who have been boondoggled by the massive campaign to smear scientists this article on the IPCC 4th report might be interesting to you. It explains the process of how the IPCC report is written, and the information assessed. Anyone who is going to comment on climate change or the accusations that come from mainly special interest groups or right wing media should at least read about the process behind the IPCC report.

This is a tiny excerpt:

Quote:
Assessment reports are published every six or seven years and writing them takes about three years. Each working group publishes one of the three volumes of each assessment. The focus of the recent allegations is the Fourth Assessment Report (AR4), which was published in 2007. Its three volumes are almost a thousand pages each, in small print. They were written by over 450 lead authors and 800 contributing authors; most were not previous IPCC authors. There are three stages of review involving more than 2,500 expert reviewers who collectively submitted 90,000 review comments on the drafts. These, together with the authors’ responses to them, are all in the public record (see here and here for WG1 and WG2 respectively).
One more tiny excerpt:

Quote:
To those familiar with the science and the IPCC’s work, the current media discussion is in large part simply absurd and surreal. Journalists who have never even peeked into the IPCC report are now outraged that one wrong number appears on page 493 of Volume 2. We’ve met TV teams coming to film a report on the IPCC reports’ errors, who were astonished when they held one of the heavy volumes in hand, having never even seen it. They told us frankly that they had no way to make their own judgment; they could only report what they were being told about it. And there are well-organized lobby forces with proper PR skills that make sure these journalists are being told the “right” story. That explains why some media stories about what is supposedly said in the IPCC reports can easily be falsified simply by opening the report and reading. Unfortunately, as a broad-based volunteer effort with only minimal organizational structure the IPCC is not in a good position to rapidly counter misinformation.

I highly recommend you read the entire write up. RealClimate: IPCC errors: facts and spin

This is the climatologist that runs the blog, RealClimate.
NASA GISS: Dr. Gavin A. Schmidt: Research

Lastly, what does being a liberal have to do with the science of climate change? Do one have to be a conservative to believe in God?

Old 06-03-2011, 10:07 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Mitt Romney disagrees with you.
Did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies