Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 02:06 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
There should have been a spike in taxes as those areas were developed but now we have created a massive local government infrastructure. Millions of middle level bureaucrats draw billions for doing nothing.
Let me understand what you are saying, once they build a road or a school, there would be an expenditure then and never after. So roads and infrastructure never need repairing or replacing; teachers need no salaries; police only need to be paid once and not every two weeks; the water, electricity and heat only need to be paid once, etc. Ok, I got it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
It depends if your goal is to efficiently and fairly raise revenue to fund the government or to punish those who make more money than the rest of us?

If it is punishment no matter the consequences than have at it, you will see how inefficient using a shot gun approach to tax policy is.

I prefer designing a system to tax privilege, not just arbitrary income or wealth levels.
Bill Maher: New Rule: Rich People Who Complain About Being Vilified Should Be Vilified

Quote:
New Rule: The next rich person who publicly complains about being vilified by the Obama administration must be publicly vilified by the Obama administration. It's so hard for one person to tell another person what constitutes being "rich", or what tax rate is "too much." But I've done some math that indicates that, considering the hole this country is in, if you are earning more than a million dollars a year and are complaining about a 3.6% tax increase, then you are by definition a greedy a**hole.
Instead, you should be down on your knees thanking God and/or Ronald Reagan that you were lucky enough to be born in a country where a useless ******* who contributes absolutely nothing to society can somehow manage to find himself in the top marginal tax bracket.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:17 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,953,764 times
This.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:23 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Who holds more greed?

One rich man with a bunch of money or 150 million people voting their government out of existence so they can secure welfare for things that may or may not happen.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:37 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,217,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Let me understand what you are saying, once they build a road or a school, there would be an expenditure then and never after. So roads and infrastructure never need repairing or replacing; teachers need no salaries; police only need to be paid once and not every two weeks; the water, electricity and heat only need to be paid once, etc. Ok, I got it now.
Nice dodge, good job ignoring the abuses and waste.

Ya, I'll learn economics fro Bill Maher.

BTW, I am FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR from rich

Old 06-12-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
BTW, I am FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR from rich
Then way take their side? I mean, the rich seem to be doing just fine on their own, they don't need any help.

My take is since spending is pretty much constant for quite a bit of time, it's the distribution that's the problem. Because starting in the early 80's, taxes were shifted from the wealthy down to everyone else. We know this because overall revenue as a %p of GDP was ~constant. So, if it was constant and taxes on the rich fell, it means everyone else picked up the burden.

I wouldn't care if it wasn't that the result was income and wealth stratification not seen since the robber baron days. This is illustrated in figure 1.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Then way take their side? I mean, the rich seem to be doing just fine on their own, they don't need any help.

My take is since spending is pretty much constant for quite a bit of time, it's the distribution that's the problem. Because starting in the early 80's, taxes were shifted from the wealthy down to everyone else. We know this because overall revenue as a %p of GDP was ~constant. So, if it was constant and taxes on the rich fell, it means everyone else picked up the burden.

I wouldn't care if it wasn't that the result was income and wealth stratification not seen since the robber baron days. This is illustrated in figure 1.
Because you are dealing with something organic, not fixed. if every human being thought and reacted like every human being in the past has and every thing in the world was exactly like the past, your historical data may be valid. But we are dealing with individual human beings, to think they will react as the master planners dictate is setting us up for massive unintended consequences.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:23 AM

Quote:
because you are dealing with something organic, not fixed. If every human being thought and reacted like every human being in the past has and every thing in the world was exactly like the past, your historical data may be valid. But we are dealing with individual human beings, to think they will react as the master planners dictate is setting us up for massive unintended consequences.
i ???

Old 06-13-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
i ???
The economy is not an "it", people are the economy. As we know people can be very irrational. All of the tax models, economic and finance models are static models that expect people to behave as the models predict.

Income taxes are the most inefficient form of tax, especially when dealing with the higher end. All you need to do is look at the income (not tax) from those making over $200k and you see wild swings of 20-30% some years. Since about half of the income tax comes from that cohort, we see massive swings in revenue.

The more we depend on the high income earners the more "Black Swans" we are setting ourselves up for.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:46 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Because you are dealing with something organic, not fixed. if every human being thought and reacted like every human being in the past has and every thing in the world was exactly like the past, your historical data may be valid. But we are dealing with individual human beings, to think they will react as the master planners dictate is setting us up for massive unintended consequences.
So, historical data has no place? Do you use anything for a baseline?

Quote:
The more we depend on the high income earners the more "Black Swans" we are setting ourselves up for.
Can you avoid such dependency when incomes have remained stagnant for most over last three decades, if not more, but the top 5%?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies