Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 10:40 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I hope you're not referring to Hinckley.
Hinckley was insane, he wasn't disillusioned with government. That was the ugliest spin I've personally ever come across.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 10:41 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Scary, at least he didn't make a reference to Oklahoma city.
Okay, second worst.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:38 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
"

Well, clearly Herman Cain has never been to suburban Raleigh, where the black middle class abounds.
Maybe that's his point. While black families continue to claw their way up to affording that 1800 square foot house in the burbs, white families continue to build upon the money they've had for generations.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:40 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
I don't understand what is wrong with this guy. He catering to people (racist) who hate him and will always hate him because of his skin color. I really don't see his angle here.
post rated negatively

Old 06-08-2011, 04:23 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
An intelligent politician would stay away from the issue of race unless back into a corner. Its too complicated of an issue for someone to make a blanked statement. Barrack Obama did an okay job when he felt he was backed into a corner over it but If I remember he just said "we need to talk"
No we are not going to wake up color blind one day nor is there going to a race war.

Politicians like Cain are too used to speaking in board rooms and to a bunch of brown nosers to think before he speaks like a politician. Most black people in the Tea Party are probably middle class but most black middle class people would not chose the party as their party of choice.
Maybe politicians should use social scientist as advisers if they don't already do so. Someone like Cornell West.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:04 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
And yet these same people also cheered Tiger Woods' demise during the sex scandal...surprise, surprise.
Black women?

Old 06-08-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
How can you determine what kind of impact a book has on a person? I know it was the 2nd best selling book after the Bible; but considering a large number of black people couldn't even read at the time how do you think it had an impact on them?
The book heighten awareness especially in the North about slavery. Which as a result heighten tensions between North and South which led to the war. A war that led to the emancipation of Black slaves. Even if Blacks couldn't read the book back then (many whites couldn't read either) it still had an impact on black lives.

Quote:

Old 06-08-2011, 07:10 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,447,180 times
You Lefties are nuts. You are howling about Cain not appealing to blacks, meanwhile all Obama does is target minorities, he even says so when he is doing it.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
Actually, I HAVE read Uncle Tom's cabin. Ok, I'll give his first act (choosing to accept being sold to protect his family) but all the rest was like he was some kind of lackey for the whites. So, if you wish to be a lackey to people of higher postions (which I'll already guessing you are) that feel free to be an uncle tom. Matter of fact, I take that back. Be an Uncle Rukus.
So what would you prefer him being a Nat Turner like character?

Old 06-08-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
That article is hilarious. It manages to say everything about Obama's rebuke other than that maybe, just maybe... he could be reflecting on his own absentee father. What a revolutionary thought.

While I agree that some of his white voters would have seen his speech through that guise, I don't think talking about absentee black fathers when he has one himself is particularly uncle-tomish. Now, I wouldn't say that his father wasn't there for him for the same cultural reasons that there's a lot of African American absentee fathers - and a lot of American absentee fathers in general - but that probably has at least 50% to do with why he made the speech.
You extrapolating too much and putting words in his mouth to excuse what he said. If said by Herman Cain or Clarence Thomas would be deemed as sell out talk by many Blacks. In fact Bill Cosby was pilloried for saying exactly the same exact thing as Obama by many Blacks

He was running for office and threw blacks under the bus to make headway with whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies