Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 07:28 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,235,806 times

Advertisements

Federal spending cuts: Debt hawks warn Congress to go slow - Jun. 9, 2011

Some top deficit hawks from the left and right are flashing a warning sign: Making too many federal spending cuts now will hurt the economy.

These are the same folks, mind you, who have been preaching the perils of debt long before the cut-now-or-else Tea Party came to town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 08:24 AM

112 posts, read 62,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post

Some top deficit hawks from the left and right are flashing a warning sign: Making too many federal spending cuts now will hurt the economy.

These are the same folks, mind you, who have been preaching the perils of debt long before the cut-now-or-else Tea Party came to town.
I agree this should be dealt with methodically and pragmatically. But with lobbyists and special interests running the show we can forget about that.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:33 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post

I agree that it should be done slowly, especially social benefits.

But two things that must be done NOW are

1. Withdraw from Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya and save 500 billion next year. I don't care what it does to the region. I am selfish and think American money needs to stay HERE.

2. End all foreign aid.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:35 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DairousTheGreat View Post
I agree this should be dealt with methodically and pragmatically. But with lobbyists and special interests running the show we can forget about that.
The Tea Party freshman are in the pocket of lobbyist?? Tell me Joe it ain't so.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:41 AM

112 posts, read 62,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
The Tea Party freshman are in the pocket of lobbyist?? Tell me Joe it ain't so.
And vice versa. Yeah sorry to inform you.

TO be fair our President took a hard campign line against lobbyists and it seems he softened up his stance as time went along.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:02 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,808,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DairousTheGreat View Post
And vice versa. Yeah sorry to inform you.

TO be fair our President took a hard campign line against lobbyists and it seems he softened up his stance as time went along.
Obama absolutly has been a center/right republican who chooses to side with the right and not the american people when push comes to shove. Though if he would just stand his ground, we likely would be in better financial status right now.
Though the article is correct and that's what most sane people realize. The republican/tea party plan to slash the hell out of essential services and nothing else won't do much for the deficit, but will be devastating to many people especially the seniors. The democrats, independents and libertarian are in unison for fiscal sanity. Slash the pork like the bloated defense, corporate handouts and restore the tax plan to the wildly successful one under Clinton. Unfortunately the right are fighting tooth and nail against fiscal sanity.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:12 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,522,627 times
Bring home "all" our nation's military and close all our foreign bases. This includes bases that go back to WW2 and Korea. Redeploy those troops along our nation's borders, especially Mexico. Stop all financial aid to the United Nations and nations that haves worked against us. Revoke the United Nation's members' diplomatic immunity and allow the police to begin collecting on tickets and fines for every one of those dirt bags. By closing all our foreign bases, congress will have to try to find another excuse for a free vacation to Japan, Italy, Germany, and other parts of the world. Both parties claim to be inspecting military bases when they're getting a free vacation.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:18 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,202,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I agree that it should be done slowly, especially social benefits.

But two things that must be done NOW are

1. Withdraw from Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya and save 500 billion next year. I don't care what it does to the region. I am selfish and think American money needs to stay HERE.

2. End all foreign aid.
I agree with these two. I think in addition we need to slowly cut the following:

1. Phase out Social Security/Medicare/Medicaid (those who paid in get full benefits, however the programs become voluntary from here forward)
2. Phase out spending on Food Stamps/Welfare (with a goal of 90% reduction in 10 years)
3. Cut unemployment insurance to 3 months, maximum

Doing this alone (without the aforementioned military/foreign aid cuts) would eliminate almost 40% of federal tax money (according to 2009 tax data)

Old 06-09-2011, 09:21 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,768,357 times
We need a long term plan that cuts the deficit gradually over time until we start to run surpluses. The surpluses should be designated for only paying off the national debt.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Well they are the ones who decided to go on a spending spree for 3 years with no concern for the future. And the future is knocking on the door as we speak.

It's getting close folks..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies