Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: some pro sports stars make millions per year. is this somehow a reflection of american values?
it's obscene. in america, our values are totally screwed up 47 45.19%
those stars deserve it. they earned that money 32 30.77%
those stars deserve it. our values are perfectly fine 16 15.38%
uh, it's not just here, okay? it happens in other countries too 27 25.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 07:17 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
for clarity i will give fake names the 3 workers above. $30/hr= me, $20=tom, $10=rick. if rick works in the same industry as tom and me, then he can complain til the cows come home but i won't really listen. reason? he's in the same industry as me. BUT if he's in a different industry and claims his industry is, in his book, more important to society versus mine, i'll give him a few hours to convince me "why" this is so. ... in other words, i'll at least listen. and when rick is done talking, i'll reflect on what he said and truly ask myself if my field is truly important to society.
You can also ask yourself at the end if Rick's field is truly important to society. At the same time, it does not matter what Rick nor anybody else does for society, unless Rick is a public sector worker (works for a local or the Federal government). What is most important is how good or bad Rick is to a business. If he is good at what he does and can demonstrate it to his bosses, then he has a very good chance to improve his earnings. But if he is bad for the company, then more than likely he will earn less than better coworkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 01:57 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
Would you?
Let's say...

$55m pre-tax
$30m after-tax
$3m after-charity

Yup

Old 06-13-2011, 02:24 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
re: sports stars earning millions per year:

how do you feel about that?

is this a reflection of american values?

is this similar in parts of europe? if so, which nations?

poll is anonymous
If some one wants to pay millions of dollars to some one to play a game do you think any one in the world in their right mind is going to say no,thats too much money,i'll just take $10 an hour.
I'd say it represents human values not just American values

Old 06-13-2011, 03:38 AM

111 posts, read 97,688 times
it's obscene. in america, our values are totally screwed up

Old 06-13-2011, 04:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taras View Post
it's obscene. in america, our values are totally screwed up
I'm missing your logic,America is all about maximizing income,if some one were to offer you millions of dollars to do whatever you do you telling me your going to refuse the offer.
The fact that some sports stars are making huge money may in some way be obscene but it certainly isnt the fault of the individual, some one has to pay the ticket price for those people to get that kind of money..

Old 06-13-2011, 08:32 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
if some one were to offer you millions of dollars to do whatever you do you telling me your going to refuse the offer
most likely i will not refuse but i will also remind myself that i haveto look at myself in the mirror every day. the reflection staring back will ask me 'is what you do truly good and productive and helpful for society? is it really necessary for the survival of society?'

Old 06-13-2011, 09:18 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
Quote:
most likely i will not refuse but i will also remind myself that i haveto look at myself in the mirror every day. the reflection staring back will ask me 'is what you do truly good and productive and helpful for society? is it really necessary for the survival of society?'
How many jobs actually do that though?

Old 06-13-2011, 09:23 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
How many jobs actually do that though?
Exactly.
And how many jobs that do contribute to the survival of society are under scrutiny all the time for being 'overpaid'? I know mine is every day.

I think the sports guys making millions is just fine. Whether or not they 'earned it' or 'deserve it' is moot. The American citizen is willing to pay to make it happen. That is free enterprise.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:14 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times
When the people who produce the least (i.e. entertainers, athletes etc.) are the highest paid, it is a sign the country is in big trouble.
It shows our priorities are in the wrong places and that we are in decline.
It is similar to what was happening in Rome when it declined.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:28 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
When the people who produce the least (i.e. entertainers, athletes etc.) are the highest paid, it is a sign the country is in big trouble.
It shows our priorities are in the wrong places and that we are in decline.
post of the afternoon ...
i think we're in a decline so +1

however, if joe schmoe owns a sports bar, he certainly won't agree. instead he'll say sports pays his bills and keeps him alive. i just don't like how these 'fun' industries have a hypnotic effect on american youths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies