Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 07:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times

Advertisements

The best way to tell if a Military recruiter is lying is to see if his lips are moving and hear if any words are coming out. I was told the same nonsense but at least I didn't believe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 08:00 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and when was that

I joined in 1983 (and retired in 2006, as a First Sergeant) and was never promised that
November 22, 1961...

Old 06-13-2011, 08:16 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Republicans to Vets: If you're not dead or visibly injured, sorry about that. You're on your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
are looking to end VA healthcare for over 1.3 million veterans who are Priority 7 & 8. These veterans are the least disabled veterans using the system, usually with disability ratings of 0 percent or no service-connected disability.
"I" have earned it and deserve it, "they" don't.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:19 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
USS Iwo Jima LPH-2 & USS LaSalle AGF-3
M-Division (engine room) former Machinist Mate Second Class Petty Officer (E-5). Desert Storm and Bosnia.
GO NAVY!!

(I dreampt I was in the Navy once. I woke up with a dishonorable discharge in my hand.)

Old 06-13-2011, 09:16 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
While a Canadian with no dog in this hunt; I've got an ex-serviceman's opinion to put forth:

Servicemen who left the military at their convenience (choice) prior to retiring, without sustaining an injury, should not have access to the same (any) level of health care or insurance provided by the VA to "actual" veterans who sustained an injury while in the military, involved in action or in a theater of action, forced into retirement or forced to leave the military via that injury prior to retirement.

It's the same stuff up here. I, in no way consider myself eligble, as many others do, to even apply to use the "veteran's" license plate from having spent 3 years in the RCN in the sixties. These, rights, perks or whatever should be designated as available for those who walk-the-walk and talk-the-talk only.

I left the armed forces under my own volition and then accepted the responsibilty to provide my own insurance top-up beyond that of universally provided.

There's something wrong with the picture I have of two vet's undergoing similar physio; one with a leg missing from having stepped on a land mine in Iraq and one who tripped coming out of a bar on ninth street at 3 am.

Is this even possible? Am I way off base here?

Old 06-13-2011, 10:01 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Republicans to Vets: If you're not dead or visibly injured, sorry about that. You're on your own.
And the White House has ordered the DoD to cut $400B from the military. Who do you think will be paying the price?

Old 06-13-2011, 10:04 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
And the White House has ordered the DoD to cut $400B from the military. Who do you think will be paying the price?
Who should be paying the price? Besides, you think $400B over a number of years is a huge deal considering the costs?

Old 06-13-2011, 10:29 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,835,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
While a Canadian with no dog in this hunt; I've got an ex-serviceman's opinion to put forth:

Servicemen who left the military at their convenience (choice) prior to retiring, without sustaining an injury, should not have access to the same (any) level of health care or insurance provided by the VA to "actual" veterans who sustained an injury while in the military, involved in action or in a theater of action, forced into retirement or forced to leave the military via that injury prior to retirement.

It's the same stuff up here. I, in no way consider myself eligble, as many others do, to even apply to use the "veteran's" license plate from having spent 3 years in the RCN in the sixties. These, rights, perks or whatever should be designated as available for those who walk-the-walk and talk-the-talk only.

I left the armed forces under my own volition and then accepted the responsibilty to provide my own insurance top-up beyond that of universally provided.

There's something wrong with the picture I have of two vet's undergoing similar physio; one with a leg missing from having stepped on a land mine in Iraq and one who tripped coming out of a bar on ninth street at 3 am.

Is this even possible? Am I way off base here?
You make a very valid point.

The problem that we have here in this country is that there are many, many folks with an 'entitlement' mentality and that mentality extends to some former vets.

Me .. I wouldn't be caught dead in a VA Hospital .. W-E-L-L .. Maybe dead!

Old 06-13-2011, 10:42 AM

59,082 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Republicans Want to Kick 1.3 Million Vets Off VA Health-Care to Save the Cost of Keeping Troops in Iraq and Afghanistan for 13 DAYS.

A billion can be a big number to wrap one's head around. If you had a billion dollars in $1000 bills, the stack would weigh 2,200 pounds!

Republicans Want to Kick 1.3 Million Vets Off VA Health-Care to Save the Cost of Keeping Troops in Iraq and Afghanistan for 13 DAYS | AlterNet
Gee, another post distorting what is ACTUALLY proposed.

"are looking to end VA healthcare for over 1.3 million veterans who are Priority 7 & 8. These veterans are the least disabled veterans using the system, usually with disability ratings of 0 percent or no service-connected disability."

Old 06-13-2011, 11:06 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
I have a further example of a "Veteran's" viewpoint. My FIL was RCAF who was then 'ceded' to the RAF upon hi arrival 'in theater' during WWII to then fly 67 missions as a 'tail gunner' in Lancasters and Liberator's. He sustained a knee injury that plagued him all of his adult life (limp and pain) from a crash landing upon returning from one of those missions.

He was actually contacted here in Canada in the late 80's by RAF officials reviewing wartime records querying the extent of his disability with a view to providing a small pension if he had proof of any ongoing malaise from that injury. His answer: "it did not prevent me from making a good living at "design engineering" so I do not consider myself to have been disabled." His doctors could have easily provided whatever proof was required but he wanted no part of that.

Of course this would be different from those vets who've suffered a drastic 'quality of life' reduction from a service related accident. Shouldn't it be conducive to that degree of severity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies