Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 10:55 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times

Advertisements

My response would have been deleted, since I would have said, "Who cares! It's just a stupid f---in' GAME, and all it does is bring retarded rapists onto campus, who have no business in an academic setting!"

I know that's what I'd say, because that's what DID say, when someone 'interviewed' me, years ago, at an expensive college where I was taking a seminar course. They were all upset about someone 'throwing' some game for the local Bookies. That day, I had on a Cobalt Blue Silk & Linen Shift Dress from Saks, and was slathered in the Turquoise & Silver jewelry I normally only get to wear at Rodeos. I thought "Oh, what the heck! It'll be fun to actually look Native American for a change. Not like anyone knows me here." I'm sure the TV People thought the nice little Camera-pleasing Indian Girl would say what they wanted to hear. Wrong.

Anyway, a lot of posters here seem to be missing the point of this video: That if it's sooooooooo important to forcibly implement the "principle" of equal participation in friggin' everything, even when health and safety and competitiveness will be compromised by that implementation, then why is it suddenly unimportant when it's Blacks whose participation is (hypothetically) to be limited by Affirmative Action?

I mean, if Affirmative Action is so important that test score thresholds for Firemen have to be dropped dangerously low, in order to successfully recruit certain types of nonwhites, and if Medical Schools see it necessary to push through incompetent Doctors, just to reach their Diversity Goals, then why....suddenly....is it not a good idea to do the same thing with a Basketball Team?

Maybe because the real goal of Affirmative Action is to disenfranchise and marginalize Whites?

Another thought, though: These kids are on-Camera, at a school FAMED for its 'diversity', in a state where 'Diversity' is the universal religion. They dare not say anything to blaspheme that supreme religion. And they are also aware that Blacks are the most sacred of all the sacred 'minorities'. The Black Card trumps all others.

And these are poor kids who went to public schools, where living in fear of 'The Jocks' is a fact of life from Junior High, onward. Pretending to be 'gung-ho go-team!' is a condition for survival, in the little Hells our schools have become. Remember, many of the Jocks are 'minorities', and can physically assault other students with impunity (just read-up on the school career of the Notre Dame Football Standout whose alleged sexual assault of a Coed resulted in her suicide). These kids know that the Basketball players are there on campus, and that being seen on-Camera, saying the wrong things about Basketball, could result in being physically assaulted by team members or their friends.... and that those assaults would probably be ignored by the 'authorities'. Happens all the time. These kids are just trying to survive School. Their real opinions may differ significantly from what they're saying into the Microphone.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 06-14-2011 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 11:39 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Nobody is trying to get affirmative action going. The video is a sarcastic video meant to show how stupid affirmative action is and how people who support affirmative action are hypocrites.
I'm aware of that......but it brought up some of the same issues I mentioned had appeared in the threads I linked to. Including some of the "sarcastic" comments posted on here.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:42 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,944 times
Another day, another race thread.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:46 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,019,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
these are the same people who did that moronic video about redistributing GPA scores, no?

The funny thing is i'm sure there are at least a few students who responded in a way that shows the clear absurdity of their excercise and invalidates their points, but where are those interviews??? On the floor of the editing room i guess.

How about I go to a church with a bunch of moronic attacks against their views and values using ploys like this to prove they are all fools. then the people who respond intelligently i'll choose not to use their responses and only use the ones that enforce my agenda. what a moronic exercise, don't they have anything better to do?

what a bunch of clowns.

They must be real popular around campus.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:47 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
people also forget why affirmative action happened in the first place.

AA happened because white hiring managers outright did not hire any non whites, which is why forced mandates were put into place, since you are dealing with peoples livelihoods.

the white hiring managers rigged it in there favor, and had to be punished by that.

i personally think AA would be outlawed today if the government thought white hiring managers would not discriminate. with the numerous EEOC complaints still coming in, it is no surprise why AA remains.

any company discriminating should be forced to correct there workforce.

the reason why some whites whine now about AA is because they see non whites getting into higher positions of power and feel threatened that the non whites will do the same thing whites did in the 60's-70's.
Black hiring managers also discriminate. So do Hispanic and Asian hiring managers. Someone here posted a study where they showed that on average, managers of each race hired more people of their race. It's not just a white thing.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:48 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
these are the same people who did that moronic video about redistributing GPA scores, no?

The funny thing is i'm sure there are at least a few students who responded in a way that shows the clear absurdity of their excercise and invalidates their points, but where are those interviews??? On the floor of the editing room i guess.

How about I go to a church with a bunch of moronic attacks against their views and values using ploys like this to prove they are all fools. then the people who respond intelligently i'll choose not to use their re

what a bunch of clowns.

Care to give the argument that was "left on the floor of the editing room" that justifies affirmative action in the workplace but not in sports?

Should we have affirmative action, but not redistribute GPA scores?

Old 06-14-2011, 11:57 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,019,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Care to give the argument that was "left on the floor of the editing room" that justifies affirmative action in the workplace but not in sports?
Affirmative action is in place because blacks still today get paid less on average for the same job performed by someone who is white. They are hired at a much lower percentage as well. Something is obviously wrong and affirmative action is designed to fix that.

Are there problems with affirmative action? certainly. It's about as poorly designed as a program could be designed and if it was messed up when it was first implemented it's a train wreck now and people have figured out how to manipulate the system anyway.

The system needs to be fixed. The system should not be thrown away however as the problem is obviously not yet solved. We're still at a point today where white males make more than any other group of people who are all doing the same work. So obviously there is a problem.

So why is this video worthless? Well it's backwards. Affirmative action is not designed to give unqualified blacks jobs that should go to qualified whites, it's designed to ensure that blacks have equal opportunities in the work place, which despite this legislation that still do not have. This video is arguing that less skilled white players should have spots on a team over more talented black players in the spirit of affirmative action but simply put that is not the spirit of affirmative action.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:09 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Affirmative action is in place because blacks still today get paid less on average for the same job performed by someone who is white. They are hired at a much lower percentage as well. Something is obviously wrong and affirmative action is designed to fix that.
So lets promote lower performing blacks to positions beyond their capabilities, further reinforcing the notion that they are inferior? Where does it end? Do you realize that by doing this you are actually putting more strain on black employees, and if anything creating stereotypes in the minds of business owners. It would have to continue forever in order to work.

Quote:
The system needs to be fixed. The system should not be thrown away however as the problem is obviously not yet solved. We're still at a point today where white males make more than any other group of people who are all doing the same work. So obviously there is a problem.

So why is this video worthless? Well it's backwards. Affirmative action is not designed to give unqualified blacks jobs that should go to qualified whites, it's designed to ensure that blacks have equal opportunities in the work place, which despite this legislation that still do not have. This video is arguing that less skilled white players should have spots on a team over more talented black players in the spirit of affirmative action but simply put that is not the spirit of affirmative action.
I couldn't care less about the spirit. That's exactly what it does. It discriminates based on race, putting skin color over ability. This is a fact.

You cannot cure the problem of racism by forcing racists to hide their racism. You'll only make it worse.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:12 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:
Yes. I even linked to that video earlier. One of my favorites.

Quote:
Unedited and much longer versions are also posted on the same channel.

Quote:
How about I go to a church with a bunch of moronic attacks against their views and values using ploys like this to prove they are all fools.
I'm sure everyone has some issue that is 180 degrees from their core values but this and the GPA redistribution is simple. At best these videos show that even though they are in college, most students can't think logically.

Quote:

How about I go to a church with a bunch of moronic attacks against their views and values using ploys like this to prove they are all fools. then the people who respond intelligently i'll choose not to use their responses and only use the ones that enforce my agenda. what a moronic exercise, don't they have anything better to do?

what a bunch of clowns.

What nice compliments about these guys.

Showing the hypocrisy of a group of people shouldn't be popular. As we can see with Rep. Weiner, no one wants their dirty little secrets exposed.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:14 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
The same idiotic spin you guys tried on other threads. Let me explain this to you. Sports are a meritocracy,
everything is supposed to be a meritocracy in modern america.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies