Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 02:59 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Go here to find out which the ones for which you qualify. Benefits.gov - Your Path to Government Benefits

Actually the free lunches are only free for you. Unfortunately, some hard-working Schmoe must pay for them.

¡Maravilloso que este sitio está disponible en español! El gobierno federal es tan considerado. Siempre buscando maneras de ayudar a immgrants para atornillar el resto de nosotros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 04:52 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFPeak View Post
How is voting Libertarian in MY best interests? Most libs like Paul would just put the corporation in power "unfettered" with regulation...
Because the current political establishment serves only the largest of Big Businesses--the ones who outsource jobs and work the few remaining workers to death, while constantly cutting their compensation. Big Government today is bought and paid for by Big Business, which does everything it can to tax and regulate the smaller businesses right out of business. Instead of paying taxes, Big Business actually TAKE tax dollars. The current powers-that-be LOVE our boom and bust "business cycle" and make it much more volatile than it should be, because that maximizes the power and profits of Big Business and destroys their competition.

A Libertarian government would allow SMALL BUSINESS--the ones that create the vast majority of new jobs, and generally treat their workers like humans--to thrive once again. "ADP data showed that 82.9% of U.S. employment was in businesses with less than 500 employees." (How Many Jobs Do Small Employers Create? - BusinessWeek) Small business allows not only a better quality of life for workers, but it also gives workers a chance to get into the "capitalist class" and gain wealth.

Big Government does absolutely nothing for the average working citizen, other than bleed him/her dry with taxes. Do I benefit from the trillions wasted on foreign war-mongering? No. Will I benefit from the Social Security and Medicare systems that have consumed 15.3% of every dollar I ever earned? Not much, since Washington already spent the "Trust Fund" and now "can't afford" my generation's retirement.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:46 PM

93 posts, read 73,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
You read it wrong he was joking. See the smiley face. I think he is on your side.
A star for U!

Not so much for p-nut.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Because the current political establishment serves only the largest of Big Businesses--the ones who outsource jobs and work the few remaining workers to death, while constantly cutting their compensation. Big Government today is bought and paid for by Big Business, which does everything it can to tax and regulate the smaller businesses right out of business. Instead of paying taxes, Big Business actually TAKE tax dollars. The current powers-that-be LOVE our boom and bust "business cycle" and make it much more volatile than it should be, because that maximizes the power and profits of Big Business and destroys their competition.

A Libertarian government would allow SMALL BUSINESS--the ones that create the vast majority of new jobs, and generally treat their workers like humans--to thrive once again. "ADP data showed that 82.9% of U.S. employment was in businesses with less than 500 employees." (How Many Jobs Do Small Employers Create? - BusinessWeek) Small business allows not only a better quality of life for workers, but it also gives workers a chance to get into the "capitalist class" and gain wealth.

Big Government does absolutely nothing for the average working citizen, other than bleed him/her dry with taxes. Do I benefit from the trillions wasted on foreign war-mongering? No. Will I benefit from the Social Security and Medicare systems that have consumed 15.3% of every dollar I ever earned? Not much, since Washington already spent the "Trust Fund" and now "can't afford" my generation's retirement.
You still don't convince me that a Libertarian government could change anything except to begin eliminating the social safety net that has saved millions of seniors and children from poverty, and helped keep veterans and the disabled from a life on the streets.

Some complain that the social contract is fundamentally unjust because it doesn't treat people equally, that people are taxed unequally or receive services unequally. So? Like insurance, rates can vary from individual to individual, and services received may be more or less than premiums paid.

You are not coerced to accept US government services any more than you are coerced to rent or purchase a place to live. If pretty much all territory is owned by governments, and pretty much all houses and apartments are owned, well, did you want them to grow on trees? There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

As for business.... how is "business" going to be conducted any differently? Small outfits already have many benefits and tax advantages, and the big boys, well, no one is going to change their operation. Unless you think further de-regulation is going to do something that hasn't already under Bush Clinton and Reagan? (Spoiled oceans, air, water.....) I mean this is some boom times after the job Bush did 'eh?

Last edited by SFPeak; 06-23-2011 at 02:13 PM..

Old 06-23-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
¡Maravilloso que este sitio está disponible en español! El gobierno federal es tan considerado. Siempre buscando maneras de ayudar a immgrants para atornillar el resto de nosotros.
Bueno, ya sabes la ciudad-los datos, siempre tratando de ayudar a los idiotas nativista puesto su odio patriotero, para ser justos y equilibrados!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies