Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2011, 12:57 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Of course, we should all just agree with you since you know everything... except or course how to find a job in the United States.

I'm better educated and better informed than anyone who could say or think some of the BS you spew here on CD.
Let me guess you also live in mansion on huge hill with unicorns? After all you're "better educated and better informed than anyone who could say or think some of the BS I spew". No, not quite. Someday then...when you get you a little smarter and more educated than somebody who spews such BS.

No, I'm simply pointing facts about how disparities exist and you guys have nothing but anecdotes about how Black neighborhoods are worse.

Yet I find it surprising for somebody so smart that they are unable to explain why those disparities thus exist if not for racism.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:05 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The rioting of White people is not over social injustice or for the denial of their rights but over sports....why do they get so violent and barbaric over a hockey or soccer game?
I don't think there is any way to sarcastically attack threads that have "anti-black" themes, at least not the way you are attempting to do it. To tell you the truth, threads that are hostile anti-black, threads with titles such as Why Do Young Blacks Like Tattoes? are threads thats very concept annoys me. To me, their existence says more about these threads' creators than such idiotic threads can say about blacks.

There are threads that are critical of blacks that do not bother me. In fact, sometimes I will actually participate in them in a legitimate manner. But they cannot be threads that I think are born from racial anymousity or contempt (even though there may be such posts in the thread).

So there's my two cents worth. If you can come up with a legitimate "white people" criticism that is not a product of anger or contempt I got news for you, I might very well participate in that thread too. Maybe it could be about "white flight" or something. I mean, white flight has within it some element of collective racism.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:13 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Are they not?

The disparities may not exist if it weren't for slavery, obviously. Slavery set the stage for these issues. But that doesn't make it the sole cause, that doesn't even make it the majority of the problem.
No not all. In fact Baldwin Hills, my old neighborhood, and many others across the nation are better than average.

I never stated it was the sole cause. I stated that slavery and the policies that ensued until 1964 (10 years before my brother's birth...thus very much in modern times) are more to blame. About 300 some odd years of separate but equal can do that do that much damage. It's hard to change public perception in such a little time after the long amount of time that slavery and such policies existed.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:17 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,517,673 times
what's wrong with having passion? I'm against hooliganism, but I love the overall atmosphere that football (soccer) brings... bonfires? Pretty cool if you ask me...

Old 06-16-2011, 01:21 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,327,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
what's wrong with having passion? I'm against hooliganism, but I love the overall atmosphere that football (soccer) brings... bonfires? Pretty cool if you ask me...
passion is not burning cars and looting stores.
Watch the video I posted about how New Orleans celebrated to see true passion without violence.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:28 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
DING DING DING!!!! I wonder why the poverty rate is higher?! Can it be because of previous policies that resulted in an inability to accumulate wealth? What can we call a set of rules that bars people from achieving the same things as others solely on the basis of race? Hmmm...Racism?!
Yes, in the past. Not now. There are plenty of upper middle class black people now. Many have made it. They didn't do it by pure luck.

I also don't see how this justifies the violence we see today, most of which is not directly related to escaping poverty.

Quote:
Is is possible that the inability to acquire education and wealth in the past has a bearing on the present? Hmmm....Yes?!
I'm not denying it has an effect. That's common sense. But you're trying to paint it as if it overshadows all other causes.

Quote:
Is it possible that high rates of crime are associated with lower income communities?! Hmmmm....Yes?!
Obviously. I never said it wasn't.

Quote:
Well then is it possible that racist policies in the past that have not been fully rectified, coupled with the dismantling of our industrial base, has lead to the current crisis of the Black community?
And the lower class white community. So what.

I have already acknowledged that black people have had a rougher past. I have already acknowledged that they were poorer in general.

Quote:
That's pretty much a general overview. I won't go into the whole perception of self how Blacks are perpetuating violence as a means of establishing an in-group (since society has designated them as an out group). Thus violence, unfortunately becomes a marker in certain lower income subsects of Blacks. I won't go into how middle class Africans disassociate with Black Americans or how middle income Black Americans are now starting to dissociate with lower income Blacks. There's also issues regarding drug policies.
So they perpetuate violence, since white people don't like them? That's your justification? Sorry, I refuse to believe that they are incapable of maintaining their own communities. Human nature is much more complicated than that.

If that's your argument, then how do you explain the doubling of the out of wedlock birth rate (obviously an indicator of cultural decline) since the 50s/60s? If anything, they experienced much more racism back then. How do you explain the complete destruction of the black families, more of which survived through Jim Crow than survived through welfare?

You also ignored my point that black unemployment is less than twice as high, but murder rate is more than 7 times as high. You can't pawn that off on racist white employers.

Quote:
No not all. In fact Baldwin Hills, my old neighborhood, and many others across the nation are better than average.
Did you not just chastise me for using examples from my personal experience? Baldwin Hills is an exception. So is most of PG county. On average, black neighborhoods are worse than white neighborhoods. Fact.

Quote:
I never stated it was the sole cause. I stated that slavery and the policies that ensued until 1964 (10 years before my brother's birth...thus very much in modern times) are more to blame. About 300 some odd years of separate but equal can do that do that much damage. It's hard to change public perception in such a little time after the long amount of time that slavery and such policies existed.
Fine, you're not going to agree with me, because you're more "educated" but there is no way I will believe that slavery is the most prominent cause for the violence and other problems we see today in the black community.

Neither of us can "prove" anything, so maybe we should just drop it.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:30 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Our culture teaches everything about winning, but not losing graciously. Everything is about winning which is very good, but what kind of messages does this send to children, they only way to go is winning, or accept the consequences of losing. Which looking at these fans of Hockey, and Socker as well as other sports, is not sending a very good message. I have respect for those who can graciously accept defeat, and do not respect sore losers.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:31 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,517,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
passion is not burning cars and looting stores.
Watch the video I posted about how New Orleans celebrated to see true passion without violence.
note I said I'm against hooliganism.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:33 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
It's all about personal responsibility. Why aren't the deadbeat dads raising their children? Why does white culture glorify thuggery (Jesse James, Capone, Bonnie and Clyde, Dillinger, Gotti, Madoff)?
I don't know if glorify is quite the right adjective. It does receive a lot of play, but then all the aforementioned bad guys, mobsters and thugs ultimately received their just desserts.

Jesse James -- shot and killed
Al Capone -- notorious mobster who was picked up for tax evasion and died in jail of syphillis.
Bonnie and Clyde -- set up, ambushed and shot to death.
Dillinger -- set up, ambushed and shot to death
Gotti -- the Teflon Don ultimately went to prison and died there.
Madoff -- looks like he will rot in prison until his last breath is taken.

In essence, these are more like morality tales. There is a certain romantic aspect to the Old West robber who was a rogue Confederate, and the sense of Roaring 20's Prohibition era lawlessness that comes with Capone, Bonnie & Clyde and Dillinger. Truth be told, I do enjoy gangster movies, but want them to hang in the end.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:01 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,884,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Our culture teaches everything about winning, but not losing graciously. Everything is about winning which is very good, but what kind of messages does this send to children, they only way to go is winning, or accept the consequences of losing. Which looking at these fans of Hockey, and Socker as well as other sports, is not sending a very good message. I have respect for those who can graciously accept defeat, and do not respect sore losers.
You have never partisipated or been involved with sports in any manner to hold such a lame, and incorrect view of sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies