Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2011, 01:03 AM

27,194 posts, read 15,371,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Maybe American citizens should learn how to speak proper English first...just sayin'

"....just sayin' "?

LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Awwwaaaaaaaaagh!!!

Need a translator?

Old 06-18-2011, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
And it most certainly is absurd and insulting ... especially when the position is to defend criminal invaders who should be deported or jailed, not shielded and defended and assisted by advocacy clowns like Aguirre.

Exactly the point.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:41 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,884,599 times
How many more hateful threads is this Dexter poster going to be allowed to start? It is clear he has an agenda behind them and that they really belong on another part of the forum.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:16 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,103,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Good for this Senator.

The man has been in the US for 23 years and he can't speak English?

Outrageous.

That is ONE of the problems with the Hispanic immigrant community - they are more likely to NOT acclimate to the traditions, customs and language of this country.
Most immigrants, especially 1st generation, are the least likely to adapt. Hispanics are no more or less likely than any other immigrant group in history to do this. Very little of the immigrant debate is based on more than closet racism and ignorance about how immigration works.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
After two recent weeks in France/Germany/Switzerland, I came away speaking a little of each language. After 23 years, this guy should be 100% fluent. One can only assume that he has zero intent to learn American English. My guess is that he represents a large segment of the immigrant population. I find this to be particularly shameful.
By your own admittance, it would be very difficult to go to any country and not inadvertantly learn at least a little bit of the language. It takes a concerted effort to go 23 years and learn nothing, and logically someone like that would represent only a very tiny minority of the immigrant population, not a "large segment" as you suggest. Hispanic immigrants follow the same kind of adaptation patterns that all large immigrant groups have followed in US history, from Italians, Germans, etc. There is no substantial difference.

Why are so many people here uneducated about this??

Old 06-18-2011, 05:25 AM

By the way, language is a beautiful thing, no matter where it comes from. The only thing insulting is to suggest that, in a nation where there is no national language, anyone could find it anything but an intriguing and complex part of the human experience.

Also, there are plenty of actual scientific studies that support the concept of knowing more than one language is actually very beneficial to the brain.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:34 AM

1,720 posts, read 4,509,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
How many more hateful threads is this Dexter poster going to be allowed to start? It is clear he has an agenda behind them and that they really belong on another part of the forum.
I agree, but its the mods final decision, and what's worse about it, is that Hes actually browner than most "illegals" (as he previously stated) maybe its just rage or a bad relationship or attention deprivation...

Good luck Dexter I hope in your journey you pick up a little bit of humility and compassion towards your fellow human beings.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:59 AM

177 posts, read 358,285 times
During our recent move from SA, we had to request the moving company send English-speaking packers. Day of packing... sure enough, they start speaking in Spanish to each other in our home. They were asked to leave and we had to wait for new packers. When you are invited and paid to come in my home and touch my belongings, please speak so I can understand what you are saying. If it were reversed, and I was in Mexico packing someone up, I would not be offeneded.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:06 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,877,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
By your own admittance, it would be very difficult to go to any country and not inadvertantly learn at least a little bit of the language.
What am I missing here?? The guy in question DOES speak English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies