Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 06:35 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,768,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
learn a real skill that is marketable and put it to use. working as a ding dong and demanding high wages and benifits is so yesterday. unless you are a public service employee who leeches off your neighbors property taxes your not getting it.and even they will end soon.
Explain to me how this means they want to be over paid? Being treated fairly is what they want not slave wages. Remember this when it happens to you becuse sooner or later college education won't be good enough because of the competition that means you become the ding dong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 06:36 PM

155 posts, read 292,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
...and making the USA a sweatshop.

IKEA: Union-busting is “how American system works”

DANVILLE, Va. - IKEA is known round the world for being a fabulous employer but its first U.S. plant is a modern sweatshop with poverty wages, forced overtime and mandatory "educational meetings" for anyone who hints any interest in joining a union.

A majority of the 335 workers at IKEA's Swedwood factory here have signed cards designating the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers as their representative.

The company has hired the union-busting law firm Jackson Lewis to help it "convince" its $8-an-hour employees that they don't want a union.

Workers at Swedwood plants in Sweden produce the same bookcases and tables turned out here, but at a starting salary of $19 an hour.

IKEA: Union-busting is ?how American system works? » peoplesworld
Go IKEA! Thankfully IKEA is in a situation where they can open up stores here in America and offer some relief from these horrific unemployment rates. If the workers don't like their working situation, they also have the freedom to go find another job. Clearly this writer has a bias towards unions.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:38 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,357,970 times
America is Sweden's Mexico. Nice

Old 06-17-2011, 06:39 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,589,742 times
Last time I checked, factories here are subject to OSHA regulations and labor laws. Show me from a reputable news site where IKEA has violated OSHA regulations or labor laws.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:40 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,047,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I live less than 3 miles from the Monument Fire. I'm hoping all of those leeching public employees you refer to stop this thing before my house goes up. If you don't want to pay your fare share to be an American that's what you are about. I'm with them
We are an all volunteer fire dept and if you need and ask for help you got it .dont need to be overpaid union to do your job. Good luck hope your home and family stay safe.Americans dont let neighbors down except where that one homeowner forgot to pay his fee and the FD watched his home burn down while protecting his neighbors home. search CD and read it

Old 06-17-2011, 06:40 PM

167 posts, read 239,898 times
Ikea finds Swedwood Danville complies with its standards | WSLS 10

Here's a link as far as I know isn't affilated with any communist group. However if the factory's conditions are this bad, shouldn't somebody be investigating this?

Old 06-17-2011, 06:43 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,342,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBAguy View Post
So are you willing to buy stuff made by someone who's grossly underpaid for the work they do?
More like are you willing to pay three times as much for an item because it was union-made? Let me guess, your house is chock full of Made In China, right?

Old 06-17-2011, 06:48 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,047,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
Explain to me how this means they want to be over paid? Being treated fairly is what they want not slave wages. Remember this when it happens to you becuse sooner or later college education won't be good enough because of the competition that means you become the ding dong.
Dont got no stinken college education,became a carpenters apprentice in 69 and worked 4 years under masters and am now 42 years later a master carpenter and have learned more math than most college grads,out of neccessity not to just pass a test.I earned and learned my keep as a self employed individual not by mob rule. I win

Old 06-17-2011, 06:49 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,589,742 times
Looks like union plants and disgruntled former employees to me. By union plants I mean a union person applying and getting hired with the intent of getting the employees unionized. I noticed in the article that the union objected to a secret ballot. Typical. They want to know the names OD people who vote no so they can threaten him/her to vote yes.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:49 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,768,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
learn a real skill that is marketable and put it to use. working as a ding dong and demanding high wages and benifits is so yesterday. unless you are a public service employee who leeches off your neighbors property taxes your not getting it.and even they will end soon.
What does this really have to do with them wanting more wages when they work for Ikea? That's what the thread is about.

Your neighbor doesn't leech off your property taxes unless he/she is an elected official or in corrections, teacher. The way I see we all pay into property taxes unless we are poor, disabled, unemployed or illegal.

How about we give all the illegal immigrants those ding dong jobs that have nothing to do with raising property taxes. That way they can get instant legal status and they can keep repopulating to the point where they can't find anymore ding dong jobs and end up getting welfare, rental assistance, then you can see your taxes skyrocket and get lousy service as a bonus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies